preventative supplements while asymptomatic

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Kisti
Contributor
Contributor

preventative supplements while asymptomatic

Post by Kisti »

I'm looking at the recode protocol basic plan (pg. 234-235 in my book), and there are a lot of supplements listed. Are there any supplements that I should take preventatively? I'm 36 yrs old, asymptomatic, ApoE 3/4, no first degree relatives with cognitive decline yet, one grandfather with Parkinsons & Alzheimer's.

Are all these supplements worth my time, effort, and money at this stage? Are some more valuable than others?

Or should I just focus on diet, exercise, sleep, stress reduction until I'm 45/55 yrs old?

I saw an ND and a holistic nutritionist and some of the supplements they recommended are:

curcumin
Dr Perlmutter's NRF2 (3 ingredients, coffee, broccoli, and something else)
doterra's vitality vitamins (alpha crs+, microplex vmz, xeo mega)
doterra digestive enzymes
a probiotic that met the criteria listed in the recode protocol
1-2 cups coffee/day
1 cup blueberries/day
omega 3 supplement
Rhodiola
other adrenal supports in the future
1 drop of frankincense essential oil orally/day
vitamin D from Sept-April
apple cider vinegar in water
collagen/gelatin

There are no practitioners in my city that are specially trained in degenerative disease, or even more so, the prevention of degenerative disease... Do these supplements make sense?

Thanks!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: preventative supplements while asymptomatic

Post by slacker »

Kisti wrote:I'm looking at the recode protocol basic plan (pg. 234-235 in my book), and there are a lot of supplements listed. Are there any supplements that I should take preventatively? I'm 36 yrs old, asymptomatic, ApoE 3/4, no first degree relatives with cognitive decline yet, one grandfather with Parkinsons & Alzheimer's.

Are all these supplements worth my time, effort, and money at this stage? Are some more valuable than others?

Or should I just focus on diet, exercise, sleep, stress reduction until I'm 45/55 yrs old?
Each of us has to find the right balance on supplements. Here are Dr Stavia's recommendations from her Primer.

I appreciate your questions on what to do; one size does not fit all.
Slacker
E4/E4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Recent research shows damage is occurring decades prior to symptoms. Specifically related to vascular system. Each of us needs to decide which supplements to take, but I would certainly start taking the common ones. And of course as much exercise as you can to strengthen blood flow to brain and protect blood brain barrier.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Kristi, Here is a list of supplements to consider for brain and vascular health. All of these supplements are made by our bodies.
• PQQ: Protect your brain during and after a stroke, increase the energy available in your brain, and enhance your memory and keep your brain young with more neurites by taking a PQQ supplement (20mg/day).
• CoQ10: Protect your brain during and after a stroke and increase its energy efficiency by taking a CoQ10 supplement (ubiquinone 200mg/day).
• Vitamin D3: Protect your brain during and after a stroke and lower your aluminum absorption and risk of Alzheimer’s and stroke with a vitamin D3 supplement. Prior to age 71 take a daily 600 IU of supplemental vitamin D3 and at age 71 start taking a daily 2,000 IU’s of supplemental D3. Mothers should take daily 4,000 IU while pregnant and 6,000 IU each day of vitamin D3 while breastfeeding. Also infants should get 400 IU per day. This 800 IU vitamin D3 should come from a combination of diet, exposure to sunlight, and an added 600 IU per day of supplementation.
• Taurine: Protect your brain during and after a stroke, increase hippocampal neurogenesis, and lower the risk of stroke with a taurine supplement (500mg/day)
• Vitamin K2-MK-4: Prevent and possibly reverse aortic mitral valve calcification. Take a daily supplement of vitamin K2-MK-4 (500mcg/day) and K2-MK-7 (100mcg/day). For osteoporosis take K2-MK-4 (5mg/day). Do not take these supplements if you are taking oral anticoagulants, like warfarin (a.k.a. Coumadin), that are vitamin K antagonists.
• B100 Supplement: Keep your homocysteine levels low - take 100mg/day of vitamin B6, 100mcg/day of vitamin B12, and 400mcg of folic acid. These are all found in a time-release B100 complex. In the case of vitamin B12 malabsorption, use sublingual absorption tablets containing B12, B6, folic acid and biotin from Wonder Laboratory or get B12 injections from a doctor.
• 5-MTHF (Methyl Folate): Keep your homocysteine levels low even if you have the MTHFR gene that prevents your body from converting folic acid to methyl folate. Take 400mcg of 5-MTHF per day.

PQQ has been called miracle grow for the brain. Have your homocysteine level checked. Dr. Bredeson talks about this in his book.

This list come from an evidenced based book by Dennis N Crouse who is a chemist - Prevent Alzheimer's Autism and Stroke with 7 Supplements, 7 Lifestyle Choices and a Dissolved Mineral. Dennis is my husband and his mother has Alzheimer's. He has stopped the progression of her disease. She is 92 and at the age of 85 her symptoms began to significantly impact her daily functioning.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse