Updates to Dr Bredesen's Protocol

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Updates to Dr Bredesen's Protocol

Post by TheresaB »

I recently listened to this interview with Dr Bredesen Dr Dale-Bredesen and the End of Alzheimer's, How You can prevent it, and hope for all degenerative disease. The interview was posted at the end of May 2019, so it is very recent. I noted some differences in what he said in the interview and what he says in his book, The End of Alzheimer's. So when I had time I listened again and this time took notes. Differences noted:
  • *He cites 6 types of Alzheimer's: (1) inflammatory (2) atrophic (1.5) glycotoxic (3) toxic (4) vascular and (5) traumatic. Vascular and traumatic are new since publication of his book

*In his markers for glycotoxicity, he cites fasted insulin of 5.0 or lower (his book cites 4.5 or lower) and HbA1c of 4.5 to 5.2 (the book cites less than 5.6)

*Dr Bredesen said that the Big Four to avoid are: grains, simple carbs, dairy, and lectins. Pro-inflammatory lectins have been added since publication of his book.

* In his book, Dr Bredesen mentions the molds/mycotoxins: Stachybotrys, Penicillium, Aspergillus, Chaetomium. He has now added another: Wallemia.
I've also updated our Dr Bredesen Protocol Wiki
to notate these.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Updates to Dr Bredesen's Protocol

Post by CarrieS »

TheresaB wrote: I've also updated our Dr Bredesen Protocol Wiki
to notate these.
Thank you Theresa!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thank you , Theresa! I'm pretty sure the fasting insulin was a misspeak and <4.5 still stands. The A1c is correct. The new goal is <5.3. There will be other updated goals in the new book. Dr. Bredesen has long spoke of the other two subtypes (vascular & traumatic) but I guess they didn't make the last book :?.
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

Thank you—this is great! Did Dr. Bredesen mention anything about decaffeinated coffee? Is it ok for E4's to drink?
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

thjj wrote:Thank you—this is great! Did Dr. Bredesen mention anything about decaffeinated coffee? Is it ok for E4's to drink?
I don't recall him going into that much detail. He did mention he recommends a plant rich diet that he's found the phytonutrients to be good anti-Alzheimer’s nutrients and such things as anthocyanins and various polyphenols are quite helpful.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

thjj wrote:Thank you—this is great! Did Dr. Bredesen mention anything about decaffeinated coffee? Is it ok for E4's to drink?
Sneak peek from the new book: Coffee is great, associated with longevity and better cognition. Keep it under 4 cups so as not to increase homocysteine and before noon. It really does affect the quality of your sleep if you drink it later in the day. And, alcohol? We already know the E4 story. Overwhelming evidence suggests that it's particularly bad for our genotype. If you are going to cheat, go with an organic zero sugar, low alcohol dry red like that sold by Dry Farms Wine.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Julie G wrote:
Sneak peek from the new book: Coffee is great, associated with longevity and better cognition. Keep it under 4 cups so as not to increase homocysteine and before noon. It really does affect the quality of your sleep if you drink it later in the day.
I'd imagine that's only if you metabolize caffeine. Some people don't have the gene to metabolize it (like me) and even a decaf Nespresso can affect sleep for up to two nights afterwards.

Dr Matthew Walker, the sleep neuroscientist, is very negative about coffee in general;

"Caffeine has a half-life of about six or seven hours. And a half-life simply means the amount of time it takes for a 50% of the drug to still be in your system or 50% of it to be cleared. Caffeine has a quarter life of about 12 hours. In other words, if you have a cup of coffee at noon, a quarter of that caffeine is still circulating in your brain at midnight.

So if you have a cup of coffee at noon, it's the equivalent of getting into bed at midnight. And just before you turn out the lights, you snick a quarter of a cup of Starbucks, and you hope for a good night of sleep, you know, it's probably not gonna happen.

So the advice would be; try to cut caffeine off around about midday if you can. And even if you're someone who, you know, can fall asleep fine, stay asleep, you should just know that caffeine can still impact your sleep."

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/matthew-walker
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'd imagine that's only if you metabolize caffeine. Some people don't have the gene to metabolize it (like me) and even a decaf Nespresso can affect sleep for up to two nights afterwards.

Dr Matthew Walker, the sleep neuroscientist, is very negative about coffee in general;

"Caffeine has a half-life of about six or seven hours. And a half-life simply means the amount of time it takes for a 50% of the drug to still be in your system or 50% of it to be cleared. Caffeine has a quarter life of about 12 hours. In other words, if you have a cup of coffee at noon, a quarter of that caffeine is still circulating in your brain at midnight.

So if you have a cup of coffee at noon, it's the equivalent of getting into bed at midnight. And just before you turn out the lights, you snick a quarter of a cup of Starbucks, and you hope for a good night of sleep, you know, it's probably not gonna happen.

So the advice would be; try to cut caffeine off around about midday if you can. And even if you're someone who, you know, can fall asleep fine, stay asleep, you should just know that caffeine can still impact your sleep."

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/matthew-walker
Of course, you shouldn't drink caffeine if you can't tolerate it and Dr. Bredesen agrees that it should only be drunk before noon. (See above.)
Creekside
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Creekside »

So weird. My parents drank coffee from breakfast until shortly before bedtime, and they seemed to sleep like logs. Meanwhile, if I dare a cup of coffee at 1:30 pm, I most definitely feel an impact at bedtime.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Of course, you shouldn't drink caffeine if you can't tolerate it and Dr. Bredesen agrees that it should only be drunk before noon. (See above.)
I actually think what he's gently saying, is that the science tells us that NOBODY can tolerate caffeine, irrespective of their genetic predisposition (and some metabolize less than others) and that it has an effect on everybody's sleep, whether we realize it or not.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60