getting my LDL down further on Dr Gundry diet

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
thx1138
Contributor
Contributor

getting my LDL down further on Dr Gundry diet

Post by thx1138 »

I have just started the plant paradox and was wondering if anyone else has experienced a lowering of LDL, unfortunately my doctor would not fractionate them so all I have is the LDL total, also on a side note does DR Gundry see patients out of state "remote medicine" really interested in getting my LDL down

Just had my physical
F Cholesterol, Total 296 H <200 (mg/dL)
F Triglyceride 147 <150 (mg/dL)
F HDL 47 >40 (mg/dL)
F LDL Calculated 220 H <100 (mg/dL)
F Chol/HDL Ratio 6.3 H <5.0 (RATIO)

Thanks
Pat
thx1138
Contributor
Contributor

Re: getting my LDL down further on Dr Gundry diet

Post by thx1138 »

Never mind found a wealth of info here I will be reading for awhile (:
https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Cholestero ... n_the_diet
DebS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebS »

thx1138 wrote:Never mind found a wealth of info here I will be reading for awhile (:
https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Cholestero ... n_the_diet
Hi thx1138 and welcome!

I'm glad you were able to find the information you needed. If you haven't found it yet, our primer is a great place place to start for an overview and prioritized prevention strategies. This guide will give you tips to navigate the site like how to quote to notify members that you have responded to their posts.

Please feel free to reach out if I can help.
Deb
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach
Certified Reversing Cognitive Decline
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

thx1138 wrote:I have just started the plant paradox and was wondering if anyone else has experienced a lowering of LDL,
I've been a patient of Dr Gundry for a few years now. He takes a long laundry list of tests, including LDL. My LDL has always been in the red "at risk" range. But I can say he's never addressed/discussed my LDL levels, it's just not a concern of his, same with Total Cholesterol. What Dr Gundry always looks at for me is oxLDL (oxidized LDL). Before he had a test for oxLDL, he looked at my sdLDL (small dense LDL) which is what eventually becomes oxLDL.

But you weren't tested for that, so we'll just let that be.

The other thing he looks at for me is HDL to Triglyceride ratio. He likes to see a 1:1 or better ratio. Your ratio is way off. HDL 47 Triglyceride 147 or a 1:3 HDL to Triglyceride level.

But don't despair. My markers were off during my first test, but then I followed his diet strictly and my numbers fell into line with what he looks for. My oxLDL is usually good (I had one test that was obviously an anomaly) my HDL to Triglyceride level is more HDL than Triglycerides, my APO B / Apo A-1 ratio (you didn't get tested for that) is good, my Insulin, glucose and A1c are all now very good. So all I can say is, follow the Plant Paradox diet, add in extended overnight fasts, (APOEe4s should do a 14 to 16 hour overnight fast), keep moving/exercise, get good nights sleep, lower any stress, and your numbers will likely fall closer into alignment with what Dr Gundry likes.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
thx1138
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thx1138 »

Thanks Theresa for your help, yes my current primary just does the Total cholesterol and usual stuff, he does not do fractional, my doctor before him she did which was helpful because I was doing very high fat keto at the time and also had just found out I have at least 3 mechanisms that prevent me from handling saturated fat very well genes like PPAR-ALPHA, its actually how I found Dr Gundry he was the only one at the time talking about limit saturated fat when he was talking to apoe4 people, while I don't have apoe4 I seem to have the same issue with Saturated Fat, he was sign of hope in a world at the time I was doing keto everyone was saying eat butter, my doctor at the time measured sdld I don't have the value at the moment but it was extremely high which now made sense and was confirmed by blood work that my genes do seem to handle saturated fat badly, that's when I found this site and outlined the Gundry APOE4 diet

Honestly I have been following his plan very loosely I have his yes or no list pretty much mesmerized but I found I would allow myself things that were very high in saturated fat from time to time and from time to time seems to become all the time, but this latest measure is again a bit of a wake up call so I do need to get on plan and the more apoe-4 plan of Gundry's

I did find a online test that I think I will do to confirm the oxLDL, there just does not seem to be a clear value that is considered normal but I am still looking and when you say "I followed his diet strictly" do you mean the actual plant paradox or the modified for apoe4 plant paradox, your situation with those genes maybe different I was just more curious, thanks below are the gene markers that give me issues with SF and are pretty clear I should stay away

FTO rs17817449(G;G) saturated fat may have a negative effect on blood glucose and insulin levels
FTO rs1121980(T;T) 2.76-fold increased risk for obesity particularly with saturated fat
PPAR alpha rs1800206(C;G) abnormal fat metabolism
FTO rs1421085(C;C) 1.7-fold increased obesity risk and decreased thermogenesis
thx1138
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thx1138 »

Also dealing with superficial blood clot in my shin, plantar fasciitis and lower back pain which all seemed to hit me in the past week, trying to keep my chin up but I am realizing if I want health I have to work at it
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

thx1138 wrote:Also dealing with superficial blood clot in my shin, plantar fasciitis and lower back pain which all seemed to hit me in the past week, trying to keep my chin up but I am realizing if I want health I have to work at it
Keep that chin up, thx1138! Yes, building and maintaining good health is work. And I empathize, as I sit here nursing an extremely sore knee, with how discouraging setbacks can be. Are you doing things that are working to relieve your lower back pain and the plantar fasciitis? In case it might be helpful to you I'll share that I am experimenting with Wobenzyme which a friend told me about. The label claims it "supports the body's natural inflammation response", a little scary since I try to keep inflammation low. But it does reduce my subjective sensations of inflammation (hot and sore), and when I remember to take it, my mobility improves.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
thx1138
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thx1138 »

Thanks I will take a look at Wobenzyme never heard of it, for my lower back I do hot tub at my house, use a truelight energy square that gives me infrared light at 650mm (I use it for my back and superficial clot in my leg) I also have a TDP Miracle lamp I use on my back and plantar, I also try and take high doses of turmeric for all current issues and beet powder for the leg clot to improve circulation I know even with these methods it takes time, turning 50 next month so need to stay on top of things I guess (: just don't like when 3 things hit me all at once (it seems)