Keto, blood surgar, cholesterol, protein--how to balance?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Robhypno
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Keto, blood surgar, cholesterol, protein--how to balance?

Post by Robhypno »

Try increasing protein for a period of time, for a couple of months and see what impact it has. If necessary re adjust.

I get a little confused about protein intake also.

I think adequate or enough protein is the key statement as opposed to masses of protein.

It seems to be an individual thing as I check bloods regularly. No real dramatic change in cholesterol, lipids etc despite keto. My protein intake probably reflects closely to Dr Bredesen recommendation but I do not religiously measure. I eat both animal protein and fats to maintain ketosis. As an E4 this so far has had a great impact physically, blood work and anecdotally.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

MarcR wrote:Examine.com has continued to improve their How much protein do you need per day? article.
Marc, I like much of what they are saying here, and it's nice to see that it is not one size fits all. Yet they still use body weight instead of lean body mass to determine how much protein a person needs (along with the other factors). Why does the amount of fat one carries determine how much protein someone should eat?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Examine.com targets a lay audience, so they frame their recommendations against the number everyone knows - body weight - the status everyone knows - healthy weight, overweight / obese, pregnant, lactating - and the objective everyone knows - maintenance, muscle gain, fat loss. No calculation is needed, and the three criteria offer sufficient nuance for readers to customize their own solutions.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

MarcR wrote:Examine.com targets a lay audience, so they frame their recommendations against the number everyone knows - body weight - the status everyone knows - healthy weight, overweight / obese, pregnant, lactating - and the objective everyone knows - maintenance, muscle gain, fat loss. No calculation is needed, and the three criteria offer sufficient nuance for readers to customize their own solutions.
But still, when you go to their calculator, and put in all of the settings, and then adjust body weight, it changes protein recommendation. So if everything else stays constant, they are changing protein (not fat!) based on how much fat you are carrying. If they wanted something simple, then just use height, which is a better indicator of lean body mass, which is what protein supports. Any extra is wasted or turned to glucose. Don't get me wrong, I believe most of us are eating too little protein, but this just doesn't seem right.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

I recommend the article and the bidirectional references, not the simplistic calculator. The article seems clear and reasonable to me. This is not an exact science - I view this resource as a starting point for individuals to explore the protein quantity issue for themselves in the context of scientific evidence and as an alternative to the relatively evidence-light clinical judgments often shared in discussions here.