Zero carb diet will help prevent Alzheimer’s

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
jgilberAZ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Zero carb diet will help prevent Alzheimer’s

Post by jgilberAZ »

I wasn't referring to your bias ... not aware you have any.

I was referring to the Blue Zone author's bias.
Apoe 3/4
My Website
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Long-term studies of human carnivores?
Only about most of human history.

Killing animals and eating them has been the central focus of our diet since time began.
I think you misunderstood. I meant long term studies of people who exclusively eat meat. Our non-human ancestors ate primarily plants. As we evolved to become human, it's hard to imagine we went from eating almost exclusively plants to exclusively meat.
Blue Zones do not eat less meat.

Once again, the data was "fudged" to agree with the author's vegetarian bias.
I agree that Dan Buettner seems to have a vegetarian bias and tends to exaggerate plant use among the populations he covers. That said, I still don't know of any long-lived populations who exclusively eat meat. Do you?
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

jgilberAZ wrote:I wasn't referring to your bias ... not aware you have any.

I was referring to the Blue Zone author's bias.
My misunderstanding, we're good.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
DaleBru
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DaleBru »

Julie G wrote: I still don't know of any long-lived populations who exclusively eat meat. Do you?
Hi Julie,
I don't believe we evolved from plant-eating apes, but that's another discussion. Dr. Berry, among others, refers to these populations (I haven't researched them independently): "The Inuit tribes of the arctic regions of Alaska, Canada, and Greenland." "The Masai people of Eastern Africa." "The Cukotka in Russia, the Samburu and Rendille warriors of Africa, certain nomad tribes in Mongolia, the Sioux of South Dakota, and the gauchos from Brazil." D. Berry, MD, Ken . Lies My Doctor Told Me Second Edition: Medical Myths That Can Harm Your Health . Victory Belt Publishing. Kindle Edition.
But the bigger issue for me is that the "evidence" against saturated fats was nonsense, in my opinion. And I must live and eat according to my own opinion. I certainly respect the rights of those who want to eat plants. What amazes me is how little real science is behind most nutritional advice, but I do think more good studies are happening. I'm particularly interested in the amazing successes of the thousands of doctors who are reversing diabetes, against the tide of other doctors and "experts" who say it can't be done. I'm still focused on insulin resistance as the main dietary (and apoe4) issue.
Best regards,
Dale
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I don't believe we evolved from plant-eating apes, but that's another discussion.
You've piqued my curiosity. Tell me more.
The Inuit tribes of the arctic regions of Alaska, Canada, and Greenland." "The Masai people of Eastern Africa." "The Cukotka in Russia, the Samburu and Rendille warriors of Africa, certain nomad tribes in Mongolia, the Sioux of South Dakota, and the gauchos from Brazil.
Thanks. I'm somewhat familiar with the Masai and Inuit. I didn't think they were particularly long lived. Are these others?
But the bigger issue for me is that the "evidence" against saturated fats was nonsense, in my opinion. And I must live and eat according to my own opinion. I certainly respect the rights of those who want to eat plants. What amazes me is how little real science is behind most nutritional advice, but I do think more good studies are happening. I'm particularly interested in the amazing successes of the thousands of doctors who are reversing diabetes, against the tide of other doctors and "experts" who say it can't be done. I'm still focused on insulin resistance as the main dietary (and apoe4) issue.
I respect your opinion, my friend, but none of this addresses the topic at hand. I'm trying to examine the evidence to support an all meat diet.
jgilberAZ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by jgilberAZ »

Apoe 3/4
My Website
DaleBru
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DaleBru »

Julie G wrote:
I don't believe we evolved from plant-eating apes, but that's another discussion.
You've piqued my curiosity. Tell me more.
I believe there is a Creator of time and space. I believe in history, not conjecture about prehistoric times. That means I believe there really was a Martin Luther King, really was a Nazi holocaust, really was a Jesus Christ our Savior, really was a Moses... I believe humans are created in God's image, not the result of random events over eons of time. I believe our bodies can heal.
Julie G wrote:
none of this addresses the topic at hand. I'm trying to examine the evidence to support an all meat diet.
I think (respectfully) that you are looking in the wrong place. We can look at our neighbors who have reversed diseases (most notably diabetes) and are living in excellent health. I'm shocked that some "experts" dismiss clinical evidence because (or until) it supports some theory that they favor. Clinical evidence is the best scientific proof that true scientists should be seeking, IMHO. End of rant. :) I am trying to learn from the experience of doctors like Eric Westman, Jason Fung, Sarah Hallberg, Jeffry Gerber and many, many more who are actually curing thousands of patients of diseases recently thought hopeless.
jgilberAZ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by jgilberAZ »

There is a significant percentage of the population that believes as you do, myself included.
Apoe 3/4
My Website
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

It's fascinating to think about the evolution of human diets. I don't know how far back we need to go to find the clues we are looking for - maybe 5-14 million years ago for hominids or just 200,000 years ago for humans in Africa. But in any case from what I understand, humans have long been omnivores to one degree or another, depending on the situation.

For comparison, apoe3 showed up around 220,000 years ago while H. sapiens would probably still have been in Africa. Later, during a time when H. sapiens would have been spreading across southern Asia, apoe2 emerged (around 80,000 years ago). Really interesting to think about what those people were eating. But I suspect most of them died in their 20s and 30s too.

But I think the real issue is that we need a way to measure AD pathology so we can find out what approaches are helping or hurting individuals today. Diabetes was mentioned, and is a good example. How well would people be able to control their diabetes, or develop new treatments, without being able to measure blood sugars?

I'd expect that dietary approaches that help some people will be ineffective or even harmful for others. That's the way it works for treating most other diseases.

With a diagnostic test, we could try whatever diet we might prefer and know if it is helping.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Hi, I just looked at your website and question this statement:

"If you ever weren't overweight as an adult, use that weight as your lean body mass weight."

Determining lean body mass weight is important since your formula for protein intake is based on that. I am using what I believe to be my lean body mass weight to guide my own daily intake of protein. I am a female who has never been overweight as a child or as an adult, but still, my understanding is that my lean body mass weight is not the same as the weight on the scale. I have calculated it on various Lean Body Mass Weight Calculators, and have had it calculated for me using some fancy equipment at a FM Conference, and though there is a range in the results, they are never as high as my full weight, always lower.
Would you agree that we all carry some percentage of fat, even those of us who are slender, which should not be included in lean body mass weight? If not, why not?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health