Low serum b12?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Low serum b12?

Post by hairyfairy »

Iv`e just received a message from a genetic testing lab called Genomelink that I signed up to, telling me that I`m genetically predisposed to low serum b12 levels. Does this have anything to do with the apoe4 gene? & should i be taking a supplement?
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Low serum b12?

Post by Plumster »

You probably have some version of MTHFR. Yes, I think you should supplement with B12.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

hairyfairy wrote:Iv`e just received a message from a genetic testing lab called Genomelink that I signed up to, telling me that I`m genetically predisposed to low serum b12 levels. Does this have anything to do with the apoe4 gene? & should i be taking a supplement?
This wiki page: https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Serum_B12_greater_than_500 suggests "When choosing [a vitamin B12 supplement], look for the word "methylcobalamin" on the bottle, and avoid the word "cyanocobalamin" on the bottle".
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

If possible, it would be helpful to have your vit B12 level checked prior to adding a supplement. Vegan/vegetarian diets can also contribute to low vit B12 levels.
Slacker
E4/E4