Worn a fitness tracker during practice?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Rrrdest
New User
New User

Worn a fitness tracker during practice?

Post by Rrrdest »

I've recently picked one up, to help remind me to get my backside out of the chair more regularly (I work at a pretty sedentary job), and I'm thinking of trying to have it on me while practicing.

Has anyone here done this? If so, what kind of tracker did you use? Did you find it useful?

As an FYI, I'm using a Fitbit Flex 2, which is a little module that normally goes in a wristband or other carrier. I'm thinking I'll stitch a small pocket for it in my pants or something.
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Worn a fitness tracker during practice?

Post by xactly »

When you say "practice," I'm assuming you mean exercise. I wear an Oura ring, which I like for sleep tracking. It's not intended to be worn during exercise and will not give accurate heart rate readings. I wore a couple of Fitbits in the past, but I can't speak to the accuracy because it was four or five years ago. I also wore a Whoop wristband for a couple of months. It's pretty easy to wear during exercise (unless you wear wrist straps when you lift weights).
dscoachRN
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dscoachRN »

Hi Rrrdest and welcome!
As you've just recently joined us, we highly recommend reading our site Primer written by a member practicing physician. In addition to being a great way to learn more about our community, it's truly a wonderful source of information about this ApoE4 gene of ours and offers clearly stated, prioritized lifestyle strategies focused on mitigating its effects. You'll find our site Wiki has more in-depth discussions on topics of interest to our members. For tips on how to get the most out of our website, check out our How-To-Guide. And to search our forums for topics of interest to you, just click on the magnifying glass along the upper right of this page.

Rrrdest, please don't hesitate to ask questions of the group at any time as they come up. And again, welcome!
Kind regards,
dscoachRN
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Rrrdest wrote:I've recently picked one up, to help remind me to get my backside out of the chair more regularly (I work at a pretty sedentary job), and I'm thinking of trying to have it on me while practicing.

Has anyone here done this? If so, what kind of tracker did you use? Did you find it useful?

As an FYI, I'm using a Fitbit Flex 2, which is a little module that normally goes in a wristband or other carrier. I'm thinking I'll stitch a small pocket for it in my pants or something.
Hi Rrrdest, There was a suggestion to you in a previous post about looking at the Primer, which I also highly recommend. I will also suggest the Wiki section on
How-To Get the Most out of the ApoE4.info website. That will give you a lot of useful tips for navigating around the website. It also tells you how to search for previous posts on a topic, most commonly by using the magnifying glass to the left of your user name. For example, you can type in “fitness tracker” and see previous posts that include that phrase. Or you could type in Fitbit, or even FitbitFlex2 and see if there are comments on it. ( I am sure you’ll find some related to Fitbit). You can quote someone else’s post who is using a similar device and ask directly about their experience.

Sorry I cant be more help in actually answering your question; I am only using the step tracker on my iPhone and an App to track sleep. Don’t have any direct knowledge of Fitbits. I find the step tracker on the phone useful in that it motivates me to get out and get those daily steps in. I have a daily minimum goal for myself , and pat myself on the back when I exceed it. :lol:
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

Hi, I have 2 fitness trackers. A garmin vivosmart 3 and a Fitbit 2 I think. Both are useful. Both have different features that I like. They are both useful for resting heart rate, and sleep time (and type of sleep). The heart rate monitor functionality can lose accuracy depending on which exercise. While exercising, if you want to be accurate, you need a chest strap type - especially if you are pushing yourself. At rest, they all seemed to match well.
exercise.jpg
I originally got intrigued and did some experiments after rock climbing. While climbing, I would be huffing and puffing (later, I determined I would be hitting 10beats above my theoretical max), but I would look down at my watch and it would say something like 73. I eventually determined that the the technology just couldnt' deal with the physics since your hand was overhead (draining the blood down). But I ended up wearing 2 watches, knowing perfectly well that I would likely have to get a 3rd piece (because I had been through the process with pedometers, but being an engineer, couldn't resist - once 2 don't match, then you have to get a 3rd) . So I was walking around with multiple watches on like the nerd I am.

In the experimentation on the nordic track, the devices would eventually all match, but it would take them 20 minutes. One matched quicker than the other, the other taking 20minutes and almost to the second each time, snapping to the correct heart rate. [img][img][/img][/img]. The nordic track is an unusual motion, I did hold them in place with a sweat band to make sure they weren't moving too much, I think for jogging and walking the firmware is probably more accurate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
E3/E4