Avoid Air Pollution

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Avoid Air Pollution

Post by TheBrain »

floramaria wrote:
TheBrain wrote: I just got an email that my two Air Doctor air purifiers have shipped!
Hi TheBrain,
Mark Hyman and Rebel Health Tribe (and probably many other affiliates) are again offering
steep discount on the AirDoctor Pro. On sale now for $329 rather than
$629. I have one in my cart.
Thought I'd follow up with you and see how you feel about this particular air filter now that you have had it for awhile.
would appreciate any feedback you could provide on your experience with this air purifier.
THANKS!!
Hi floramaria,

I love the two Air Doctors we bought. When my husband cleans or replaces the filters, it’s clear they’re doing their job. These air purifiers definitely cut down on the dust we have in our house, although I do still need to dust. I highly recommend them.

I have a vague recollection that if someone is particularly sensitive to chemicals, then another brand of air purifier is even better for that purpose. Unfortunately, I can’t recall the brand name.

P.S. I just read your post for slacker. The Air IQ is better for people with chemical sensitivities than the Air Doctor. Better removal of VOCs is important for such people. My problem is with mycotoxins, not VOCs, as I’m not chemically sensitive. However, the Air Doctor does remove VOCs to a certain extent.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

floramaria wrote: Hi slacker, Now that you have been using Air IQ for awhile, what is your impression? I am on the brink of ordering an Air Doctor unit, which is on sale right now. But interested in hearing about personal experiences before"taking the plunge". Thanks.
At the risk of sounding negative :shock: , I have not noticed any difference in my functioning with any of my interventions, including air filtration. Some times I think there might be improvement with a particular intervention, typically an add on supplement. But when I stop them individually as an experiment I do not notice any change. I have not done this with bio identical hormone replacement! I continue to run the Air IQ overnight since it certainly isn't hurting anything, and provides excellent white noise at level 2!
Slacker
E4/E4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

TheBrain wrote:I love the two Air Doctors we bought. When my husband cleans or replaces the filters, it’s clear they’re doing their job. These air purifiers definitely cut down on the dust we have in our house, although I do still need to dust. I highly recommend them.
Thanks for your reply! Happy to hear that the filters seem to be doing their job. I will go ahead and place the order. We have been getting a lot of smoke from forest fires. Haven't tested for mycotoxins, but there may be some of those floating around in my indoor environment too.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

slacker wrote:At the risk of sounding negative :shock: , I have not noticed any difference in my functioning with any of my interventions, including air filtration.
Hi slacker. Thanks for responding. I don't consider your comment negative . Just honest. Hopefully your many interventions are working on a subtle level "behind the scenes" and though they are not producing noticeable differences they are contributing to your longterm health. That is the justification and hope I give myself, anyway. I can pinpoint few specific benefits from any of my vast array of interventions, other than that since I have been in ketosis I never get hungry no matter how long I fast. Something or the combination of things has helped over time in that I don't unintentionally substitute words anymore, or do it very rarely. Is that from the metal chelation, better sleep, brain training, BHRT, more regular exercises, dietary changes, meditation or one of the individual components of the handfuls of supplements I swallow daily.... or all of those things together? I'll never know. My plan is to continue gradually broadening my "optimization zones" to the extent that I can.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

floramaria wrote:
TheBrain wrote:I love the two Air Doctors we bought. When my husband cleans or replaces the filters, it’s clear they’re doing their job. These air purifiers definitely cut down on the dust we have in our house, although I do still need to dust. I highly recommend them.
Thanks for your reply! Happy to hear that the filters seem to be doing their job. I will go ahead and place the order. We have been getting a lot of smoke from forest fires. Haven't tested for mycotoxins, but there may be some of those floating around in my indoor environment too.
I hope you love your Air Doctor as much as I do! Please do report back after you have some experience with it.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

slacker wrote:At the risk of sounding negative :shock: , I have not noticed any difference in my functioning with any of my interventions, including air filtration. Some times I think there might be improvement with a particular intervention, typically an add on supplement. But when I stop them individually as an experiment I do not notice any change.
slacker, I'm sorry to hear you haven't noticed any difference in your functioning due to your interventions. I'm assuming your remediation has been completed to your satisfaction. Is my assumption correct? If so, I'm wondering if a piece of your health puzzle is missing. I don't know what symptoms you're experiencing and probably wouldn't be able to suggest anything useful to you even if I did know, but I can briefly share my experience.

In November, it'll be three years since I've been detoxing mycotoxins. I can't directly point to obvious improvement in my health due to this detoxification effort. However, one intervention that significantly moved the needle for me was treating hydrogen sulfide SIBO (which I'd evidently had for years but it was undiagnosed until November 2018) . My brain-related symptoms have improved, especially the brain fog and mental fatigue.

The other intervention that seems to be in the process of moving the needle for me is treating thallium toxicity. That was picked up by a Doctor's Data Toxic Metals test that was done almost five years ago(!). At the time, I did a protocol that my FM PA recommended, but that did nothing obvious for me. More recently, my FM PA suggested another protocol, which I started about two weeks ago. And it's definitely stirring things up. It feels like I'm having a bit of a Herx reaction, but I'm noticing improvement with my sleep. So I'm hopeful and will press on.

Whatever you do, please don't give up. Perhaps your interventions are working on a subtle level, as floramaria wrote. Perhaps at some point, you'll have a breakthrough by just continuing to do what you're doing. Or maybe there's some undiscovered culprit thwarting your efforts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

With the widespread AQ problems associated with the fires in the western US, I've been digging a little bit into how to best assess AQ at the hyperlocal level. I don't want to take walks when the AQ is 50 or above (moderate using the EPA scale), especially PM2.5. Where I live, the accurate and reliable, government placed AQ monitors normally included in third party AQ maps and apps don't cover my zip code well.

PurpleAir, a company that provides a consumer outdoor AQ sensor, also provides a map of its customers' data. The same data is often included in a Wunderground weather map AQ layer. However, the PurpleAir sensors aren't accurate.

What I've learned is that the government collaboration that produces the AirNow maps (including Canada) are now incorporating the hyperlocal PurpleAir sensors and adjusting their data to be more accurate.

There are two AirNow maps, the interactive AirNow map that doesn't include the PurpleAir data, and the fire and smoke AirNow map that does include PurpleAir data and is focused soley on PM2.5.

Comparing the PurpleAir data from the PurpleAir and Wunderground websites with the fire and smoke AirNow website, AirNow shows the AQ is better than the PurpleAir sensors would have me think, and it's an improvement over recent days where the smoke has lightly blanketed my region. I can go for a walk this morning!

I also learned that it seems the officials refer to the reliable, expensive, government placed AQ devices as 'monitors' and the unofficial, cheaper, inaccurate privately purchased AQ devices as 'sensors'. I'm not sure if this is always true.

I've run out of time to do more reading and comparing of these maps and their data, and I hope I haven't misrepresented anything. Please correct and add here if needed.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.