If you use a device running an Android version prior to 7.1.1, beginning January 11 your access from that device to this site and many others will be impaired. For details and solutions, see this topic.

oxalates

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
johnseed
Contributor
Contributor

oxalates

Postby johnseed » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:45 pm

I understand the importance of cruciferous vegetables as part of the APOe4 diet. However, I wonder whether one should moderate amounts of kale etc on account of oxalates?

Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: oxalates

Postby Anna » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:08 pm

I don't believe kale is a high-oxalate food, but kale (and other cruciferous veggies) can contain thallium (a heavy metal). I have come to believe that nutritional variety is the best strategy to prevent over doing any particular compounds. That said, I wonder if I consume too many oxalates since I love many of the seemingly unrelated foods that contain them, like spinach, beets, almonds, cocoa, and sweet potatoes.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more

SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby SusanJ » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:27 am

johnseed wrote:However, I wonder whether one should moderate amounts of kale etc on account of oxalates?

Have you had problems with oxalates? Check out this article by Sarah Ballantyne to learn more: https://www.thepaleomom.com/oxalate-sensitivity-real/

johnseed
Contributor
Contributor

Postby johnseed » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:04 pm

SusanJ wrote:
johnseed wrote:However, I wonder whether one should moderate amounts of kale etc on account of oxalates?

Have you had problems with oxalates? Check out this article by Sarah Ballantyne to learn more: https://www.thepaleomom.com/oxalate-sensitivity-real/

Thanks Susan, very helpful

Return to “Prevention and Treatment”