23andme...Which test?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Roguejim
Contributor
Contributor

23andme...Which test?

Post by Roguejim »

Hello. I want to find out what allele of the apoe gene I have. I guess 23and me is one place to start. Do I want the $99 Ancestry test, or the $199 Ancestry+Health test? I understand I need to plug in the results at Promethease, or maybe Dr. Rhonda Patrick's site? She offers some sort of comprehensive report there. It's my understanding that Promethease can be confusing, but I don't really know. Thanks.
BGTex
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 23andme...Which test?

Post by BGTex »

Ancestry plus health, I believe. That’s how I got mine.

Once you get your results they will also have your raw data, which you can then upload to the other places you mentioned.
Davida
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Davida »

Roguejim wrote:Hello. I want to find out what allele of the apoe gene I have. I guess 23and me is one place to start. Do I want the $99 Ancestry test, or the $199 Ancestry+Health test? I understand I need to plug in the results at Promethease, or maybe Dr. Rhonda Patrick's site? She offers some sort of comprehensive report there. It's my understanding that Promethease can be confusing, but I don't really know. Thanks.
Hi Roguejim, thanks for posting and welcome to the Apoe4 site!

I think you will find this community to be both supportive and informative. BGTex recommended Ancestry & Health, that is what I used as well. Until you find out your results you may want to have a look at our Primer to gather more information on the Apoe4 gene as well as lifestyle and prevention strategies. And on our Wiki there are more in-depth topics that may be of interest to you.

Thanks again for saying hello. We look forward to hearing more from you. If you would like to share more, please do so on Our Stories.

My best,

Davida
Davida
FMCHC
Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches Certification 2018
Roguejim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roguejim »

I guess what I'm asking is whether the "Health" part of the report is essential or necessary to determine what apoe allele you have. I'd rather not drop the extra $100 if it's not necessary. If the Ancestry report will suffice, then I would just buy that
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: 23andme...Which test?

Post by ru442 »

Roguejim wrote:I guess what I'm asking is whether the "Health" part of the report is essential or necessary to determine what apoe allele you have. I'd rather not drop the extra $100 if it's not necessary. If the Ancestry report will suffice, then I would just buy that
You don't need it, you can run the raw data through any of the other resources mentioned above. You can also get an advanced lipid test which also tests for apoe4. In my case it showed up on the lipid test, I did 23andme to validate and also get any other info on my genetics relevant to AD or other risks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Roguejim wrote:Hello. Do I want the $99 Ancestry test, or the $199 Ancestry+Health test?
According to the 23&me website, it looks like you need the Ancestry+Health test. It may be worth a phone call or email to the company to make sure you are ordering what you need, and not more. RU44 is correct that there are some specialty lipid panels or stand alone ApoE tests that direct to consumer labs can provide. They (of course) will not give you the spectrum of genetics that 23andme offers.
Slacker
E4/E4
Roguejim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roguejim »

I visited Dr. Rhonda Patrick's website, and found this. I'll go with the basic Ancestry test, then use her comprehensive report. I think that includes the apoe variants, but if not, I can do that separately on her site.

Do you sell genetic tests?
No. In order for us to generate your report, your DNA must be analyzed by 23andMe . If you use 23andme, you only need to get the basic ancestry service to receive FoundMyFitness’ genetic report.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Roguejim wrote:I visited Dr. Rhonda Patrick's website...
For giggles and grins I ran mine through the comprehensive tests, and sure enough I am 4/4 ;)

APO-E4/E4 rs429358(C;C)
rs7412(C;C)
Up to 15-fold increased
alzheimer's disease risk
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Hboroughs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hboroughs »

I agree Promethease issues a confusing report. Rhonda Patrick's report is awesome and easy to understand. She occasionally offers updates to expanded reporting when available. NutraHacker is another service which provides targeted action items from analyzing your genetic data. Also an interesting report, and you can link to a customized vitamin if interested.

There is also Genetic Genie out there, but I have not used it.

This access to so much data is truly amazing. It has probably outpaced our ability to understand what it all means and what exactly to do with the information, but still it will lead to advances eventually.
stippett
New User
New User

Post by stippett »

From my prometheas report on gs246: "Word of caution to those with data from Ancestry.com: in our experience, based on data in OpenSNP and from Promethease users since 2006, Ancestry data always reports rs429358 as (T;T), even for people who's data from other sources indicates they are (C;T). Therefore, until Ancestry corrects this false negative problem, be aware that the ApoE genosets assigned by Promethease will be inaccurate when based on (inaccurate) Ancestry data."