From keto eating to fasting, a common path?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

From keto eating to fasting, a common path?

Post by Fiver »

Hi everyone. Here's a question about the benefits of a keto-type diet vs. fasting. I'm love to get your thoughts so I can adjust my plan.

I did a keto-flex type diet in most of 2017-2019 and fasted from 7:00pm to 11:00am each day. My net carbs were low, 30-40 grams per day max. Lost a lot of weight, though for some reason I never measured significant ketones on my KetoMojo meter. I don't know why. I was preventing the usual uptick in LDL with a low dose of a statin.

Over the winter I slipped a bit, and went back to a more regular diet. The statin was giving me trouble and I needed to figure that out. The weight came back, which was fine.

I kept up with my exercise, basic good eating, and supplements. Now days I've changed my approach. I focus on the fasting. Rather than focus so much on what I eat I just go from 7:00pm to 1:00pm most days without eating, and I don't miss it. I eat basically healthy in that 6h window but allowed my carbs to go up some. I hope I'm getting a benefit from the fasting.

It's just easier.

Am I making a mistake?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: From keto eating to fasting, a common path?

Post by Julie G »

Am I making a mistake?
I don't think so. you're young, fit, no sign of IR. IMHO, full-on keto is unnecessary for you. The KetoFlex 12/3 version is very helpful for fixing insulin resistance and restoring cognition, but not necessary for everyone. By combining a long daily fast with lots of movement, and a generally healthy low-ish carb (no sugar, processed food) diet, you can easily generate BHB of around 0.4-0.5 to offset your reduced cerebral glucose metabolism.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Hi Julie. Thanks. This evolution of my lifestyle plan seems natural. I think the fasting is helpful. And with exercise it should in theory get me some BHB, like you said. I feel like I was really motivated, in part by the quiet terror of it all, early on. But now I'm reviewing my decisions based on what seems to work for me and what doesn't. It's a roller coaster. But for now, I think more IF, sustained exercise, and less keto diet is my plan. I'll check my blood test numbers and see.

I find the fasting to be very easy now.

By the way, all my research into the potential benefit of statins seems to have been for naught. I couldn't stand the muscle pain, even at really low doses. I hung in there for a long time but I gave that a break recently too. Oh well.
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by donbob »

I learned from my keto-mojo meter the ways of eating and fasting that meet my goals. Also the inevitable family/social excursions are tested. And exercise, yoga, and meditation. As a result, I have a pretty good handle on the best approach in my case. Best wishes Fiver, on your journey to good health.
DonBob
e3e4
Robhypno
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robhypno »

I do 16-8 fast virtually every day and also full keto eating within the 8 hour window

I find this a great way to eat and maintain healthy ketosis

Best of both worlds rather than one or the other

Hope that helps