If you use a device running an Android version prior to 7.1.1, beginning January 11 your access from that device to this site and many others will be impaired. For details and solutions, see this topic.

Advice for GSTM1 Deletion

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
User avatar
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:34 pm

Advice for GSTM1 Deletion

Postby Rainbow » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:39 pm

We recently found out that my grandmother, who has Alzheimer's disease, is E3/3. For most of her life, she has been eating a low-fat, gluten-free diet that included plenty of green vegetables, but also ample dairy products such as yogurt and milk, carbohydrates such as rice, fruit, oats and potatoes, and legumes. She has also had a very bad sweet tooth her whole life. She enjoyed walking and gardening, but didn't do much strenuous exercise. Her weight has never been a problem.

Although she is E3/3, she has many other SNPs that we believe contributed to the development of the disease. These include:

  • Methylation: issues with MTHFR, MTR and COMT.
  • Inflammation: issues with IL-6, IL-1 and TNFA.
  • Oxidative stress: issues with eNOS, GPx1 and CAT.
  • Insulin sensitivity: issues with PPARG and TCF7L2.
  • Detoxification: a GSTM1 deletion and reduced activity of GSTP1.

This is quite a cocktail, and naturally my mom and I are concerned that as E4 carriers, our odds are pretty bad. However, at least we have knowledge about prevention that my grandmother didn't have when she was younger.

We are especially interested in learning more about what we can do to compensate for a GSTM1 deletion, which my mom also has. Any suggestions other than eating more cruciferous and allium vegetables? Should we consider supplementation, and are there biomarkers that we can keep track of?
4/4

User avatar
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 2839
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:33 am
Location: Central Florida

Re: Advice for GSTM1 Deletion

Postby SusanJ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:00 am

Rainbow wrote:Should we consider supplementation, and are there biomarkers that we can keep track of?


You might want to read Dr Ben Lynch's book Dirty Genes. It covers GST, COMT and MTHFR (among others) and helps define the symptoms that might suggest treating one or another. That said, glutathione, and riboflavin (to recycle it) and riboflavin (to create it) might help. And Epsom salt baths. But do start low and go slow with glutathione, like a couple times of week. If it helps, slowly scale it up.

User avatar
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:34 pm

Re: Advice for GSTM1 Deletion

Postby Rainbow » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:03 am

SusanJ wrote:You might want to read Dr Ben Lynch's book Dirty Genes. It covers GST, COMT and MTHFR (among others) and helps define the symptoms that might suggest treating one or another. That said, glutathione, and riboflavin (to recycle it) and riboflavin (to create it) might help. And Epsom salt baths. But do start low and go slow with glutathione, like a couple times of week. If it helps, slowly scale it up.
Thanks Susan! I skimmed Dirty Genes earlier this year, but have been meaning to do a thorough reread. Will have some time for that before the end of summer. As far as troubleshooting specific SNP-related issues is concerned, it's definitely the most useful book I've seen so far. And written with a very optimistic tone! I'll look into glutathione and riboflavin.
4/4

User avatar
TheBrain
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 1359
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:12 pm

Re: Advice for GSTM1 Deletion

Postby TheBrain » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:54 am

I just want to mention that the Great Plains organic acids test can reveal if you have a deficiency in glutathione and riboflavin, among many other potential problems. I’m deficient in both so am supplementing with both.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!

User avatar
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:34 pm

Re: Advice for GSTM1 Deletion

Postby Rainbow » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:34 pm

TheBrain wrote:I just want to mention that the Great Plains organic acids test can reveal if you have a deficiency in glutathione and riboflavin, among many other potential problems. I’m deficient in both so am supplementing with both.
Thank you! Very useful info. A few months ago, Plumster mentioned the NutrEval FMV from Genova Diagnostics in response to one of my questions about how to test methylation status. Your post reminded me to circle back to that. I see NutrEval FMV also contains an organic acids test (among other things). I'm going to do some research about these tests and check out the costs.
4/4

User avatar
TheBrain
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 1359
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:12 pm

Re: Advice for GSTM1 Deletion

Postby TheBrain » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:03 am

Rainbow wrote:
TheBrain wrote:I just want to mention that the Great Plains organic acids test can reveal if you have a deficiency in glutathione and riboflavin, among many other potential problems. I’m deficient in both so am supplementing with both.
Thank you! Very useful info. A few months ago, Plumster mentioned the NutrEval FMV from Genova Diagnostics in response to one of my questions about how to test methylation status. Your post reminded me to circle back to that. I see NutrEval FMV also contains an organic acids test (among other things). I'm going to do some research about these tests and check out the costs.


You’re welcome, Rainbow. I spent $179 for my test. My FM practitioner has an account with Great Plains and was able to offer me this heavily discounted price. Great Plains submitted the full price to my insurance company on my behalf. Some of it was covered, but I was only responsible for the $179 I paid up front. Fortunately, I have a secondary that will reimburse me for the $179.

Best of luck with your research about these tests!
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!


Return to “Prevention and Treatment”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 23 guests