keto rash

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

keto rash

Post by thjj »

thjj wrote:
Sgl9x wrote:"Another negative side-effect has been the "keto rash" which looks just like this (this blog documents a guy's experience with this mysterious skin condition in detail):
http://bjjcaveman.com/2013/05/09/prurig ... iated-rash"

I get this too sometimes... I increase my carbs slightly and it goes away but doesn't stay gone usually. Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't, no matter how many carbs I eat though. Very unpredictable for me. I just live with it because I don't want to use hydro-cortisone. I've heard vinegar on the skin helps stop the itch. (I don't have it right now)

How many carbs do you eat a day?
I don't know the exact amount (I don't have a chrometer-I think that's what they're for) but my guesstimate is just under 50 g/day. btw, my keto rash flared up a couple days ago and turned into kind of welts :?
Sgl9x wrote:
I only eat about 20 grams a day and my ketones never get over 3.00 mmol (now I am at 1.00 to 1.6). I see yours are at 4.00 mmol. This may have something to do with it. You are one of those people that can eat a substantial amount of carbs and still remain in ketosis. Increase your (good) carbs a little, not starches or sugar.
update: I've upped my carbs and rash is slowly going away to my relief. I'm now just aiming for mild ketosis. When I had the bad rash, I tried the vinegar: it stinged for a bit (which I preferred to the itching!) but was only temporary. The hydrocortisone nor OTC anti-bacterial also didn't work for me. Seems like prescription antibiotics are the surefire solution, if you're not willing to increase carbs.
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
Sgl9x
Contributor
Contributor

Re: keto rash

Post by Sgl9x »

Good to hear

Just keep track of your triglycerides

If they get over 80, you are eating too many carbs unless you have always had a serious problem with them.

Even 2.0 mmol is deep ketosis...
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Re: keto rash

Post by thjj »

My rash was going away & then last week some new spots appeared! Dag-nabbit :? The only thing I can think of is that I drank a glass of alcohol the night before (ie. spirits―after abstaining completely from alcohol when I was in deep ketosis).

Then they started to fade again...weird! It really is unpredictable.
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none