Xcode Life vs Promethease and other raw data analyzers

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Xcode Life vs Promethease and other raw data analyzers

Post by Jmac »

floramaria wrote:I still haven’t done FMF but will one of these days. Happy to hear that you found getting the Promethease report worthwhile. I still Refer to mine when I read posts on the website or in other articles about specific SNPs.
When I finally got around to closely comparing the two I found that Found My Fitness had info on things that Promethease didn't. Not sure why. It could be that some that FMF highlighted are hidden in the "clinvar" bucket or they didn't consider to be an issue. Three that were on FMF but not on Promethease revolved around issues with choline, which I consider worth addressing. I think it's important to get both now that I've looked at them.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Jmac wrote:]

When I finally got around to closely comparing the two I found that Found My Fitness had info on things that Promethease didn't. Not sure why. It could be that some that FMF highlighted are hidden in the "clinvar" bucket or they didn't consider to be an issue. Three that were on FMF but not on Promethease revolved around issues with choline, which I consider worth addressing. I think it's important to get both now that I've looked at them.
Thanks for the reply. Right now I have too much on my plate (work stuff not health stuff) to look at any new health related info.
I’ll be interested in seeing what the FMF Report reveals. Did you do the test that JulieG posted about “egg consumption-equivalent “
To supply choline requirement? Based on genetics. Mine came out at 8/day, so I know that I have some relevant SNP’s . I have been supplementin with citicholine and phosphatidylcholine for awhile.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

floramaria wrote: Did you do the test that JulieG posted about “egg consumption-equivalent “
To supply choline requirement? Based on genetics. Mine came out at 8/day, so I know that I have some relevant SNP’s . I have been supplementin with citicholine and phosphatidylcholine for awhile.
Yes, did the test and I'm also an 8. Given that I'm primarily plant-based (added wild caught salmon as I delved into all this stuff) eating eggs is out, especially 8 :-). I've upped my intake of the other things such as nuts, broccoli and added Alpha GPC and Citicoline. I alternate them...couldn't decide which was better, whether both needed, so I split the diff...

All this "stuff" does take a LOT of time. I've been emailing with Dr. Bredesen's team, thinking may be best to just do the RECODE and let them tell me what I need rather than all this hunting, picking, hoping...
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Jmac wrote:
Yes, did the test and I'm also an 8. Given that I'm primarily plant-based (added wild caught salmon as I delved into all this stuff) eating eggs is out, especially 8 :-). I've upped my intake of the other things such as nuts, broccoli and added Alpha GPC and Citicoline. I alternate them...couldn't decide which was better, whether both needed, so I split the diff...

All this "stuff" does take a LOT of time. I've been emailing with Dr. Bredesen's team, thinking may be best to just do the RECODE and let them tell me what I need rather than all this hunting, picking, hoping...
:lol: That’s a good way to put it....”hunting, picking, hoping...” I am also doing that! At least though, much of our “hoping” in grounded in Solid science.
Still, there are certainly a lot of moving parts! And a lot to juggle. And big personal decisions to make in some areas.

Are you considering the onetime ReCODE Report or leaning more towards the ReVERSE program?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

floramaria wrote:Are you considering the onetime ReCODE Report or leaning more towards the ReVERSE program?
Right now I'm thinking ReCODE. I'm very disciplined when it comes to health (not so much in other areas :-)) so I think that would be enough. I would have access to the list of practitioners in my area so if I felt I needed more I could/would hook up with one. Or maybe see if they'd let me do the ReVerse program. Wouldn't think that would be an issue as the initial cost is less on ReVerse, then the one year commitment. That might be better for my mother.

Trying to find out from them if I can get all or some tests done by my doctor so it's covered by insurance. I already have the 23&me data so kinda redundant to do it again even though it's included --- unless they do something different. Won't hurt to do it again.

I was looking at Mary Kay Ross very seriously, she's opening an office near my parents. Loved the time and personal conversations. Love all the extras, the time, the variety of doctors, the way it is personalized based on individuals. The cost is just prohibitive for me...and I think for my parents. I wish more of this could be covered by insurance.
babl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by babl »

I did the 23andMe test a year or two ago and have run the data through both Promethease and Found My Fitness. Recently I've been having some brain imaging tests done to look for any evidence of strokes. My Promethease and 23andMe reports both show that I have the Factor V Leiden gene (hetero). But the FMF report doesn't mention it at all, which leaves me wondering if I really have this SNP, or if the FMF report somehow selectively removes that one? (in which case, I'm left wondering if the FMF report is leaving anything else out? I love Dr. Rhonda Patrick, but this has me scratching my head) Has anyone else found missing things on their reports when comparing the different ones (Promethease, FMF, etc)?
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

babl wrote:IHas anyone else found missing things on their reports when comparing the different ones (Promethease, FMF, etc)?
I had a number of things on each that weren't on the other. I am guessing there are professional gene counselors out in the world who could sort it all out...and also guessing they cost a chunk. I think this "experiment" gives credence to paying for Dr. Bredesen's testing --- he does the genetic part with the rest of his Protocol testing and comes up with a plan.

It gets even more confusing when you have things that say your life will be shorter and then an equal number saying it will be longer, or you have this potential for issues with something and a number that say you're super at the opposite. I just decided to go with working on countering any negatives figuring I'd strengthen the positive ones --- and "assume" that some cancel each other out :-)

I believe that Rhonda Patrick's assessment just keys in on the more important ones --- liked that she gave ways to counter the bad guys. Promethease has a huge chunk that don't give any details without doing some clicking and researching (I got lost).

I'm thinking that when I have time I'll look to see if there's a third one to pop my info into. Then I can truly say I am exercising my brain, strengthening my cognition :-)
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

babl wrote: Has anyone else found missing things on their reports when comparing the different ones (Promethease, FMF, etc)?
I have been listening to Dr. Ben Lynch off & on. Finally decided to pop my raw data into his data analyzer, Strategene. It costs $45 (have a discount code, MOM2EL which knocked it down to $40something). Just downloaded. I'll let you know if it pops up with something different than the other two. I watched his video on what you rec'd with it and it seems it will be much more comprehensive, give more info. Hope you're doing well on your health journey...
babl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by babl »

Thank you, Jmac! I had forgotten that I'd done Dr. Lynch's Strategene report a few years ago. I pulled it up just now but it doesn't seem to cover the Factor V Leiden gene (rs6025). I wonder if he's included it in more recent reports? It's been awhile since I've looked at the Strategene report. I remember finding it very confusing when I first got it, but now that I've done a lot more reading I'm finding a few new insights from it. Still, it's frustrating to find so many differences and/or missing genes on the various reports. Makes me wonder what I can trust?
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

babl wrote:Thank you, Jmac! I had forgotten that I'd done Dr. Lynch's Strategene report a few years ago. I pulled it up just now but it doesn't seem to cover the Factor V Leiden gene (rs6025). I wonder if he's included it in more recent reports?
On the page where I ordered it, down at the bottom, there was a chart with the genes in each report. He compared the 23&me with Ancestry, highlighted the genes available in the raw data. Anything before a certain date had more or less --- didn't really pay attention to that part as mine was current. I think each of the groups doing the analysis has a different system, different emphasis. I did some reading, found a few sites where they compared the various groups, was interesting. All this is kinda crazy at time --- and can be overwhelming.