Xcode Life vs Promethease and other raw data analyzers

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Xcode Life vs Promethease and other raw data analyzers

Post by Jmac »

I want to delve deeper into my 23andMe report (had it for about a week now, a newbie on here). I downloaded the raw data, now want to find out more. I am 3/4, and luckily do not have any other issues per the report (nice). But, I'm struggling with coming up with the right diet as I plan to do everything possible to make sure that nasty AD bugger doesn't kick in. My mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother all have/had dementia issues, none diagnosed with AD, but the gm & ggm never had doctor involvement --- my Mom goes Wednesday for an assessment. Online recommendations about diet are all over the map.

I bought Bredesen's book, was already doing a lot he recommends but have changed/added some things and MAY consider his Recode program if Mom is diagnosed (I think she has some other issues causing dementia symptoms, but shoot, I'm not a doctor, just a binge online researcher...ya know, the kind doctors absolutely love :-))

I see that Xcode offers a $99 package (https://www.xcode.life/product/ftdna-an ... sis-tools/) that includes nutrition, gene health, methylation, allergy, medication, and more. It appears that it might, MIGHT, help me with some of my questions.

Promethease, from what I can tell based on comments on here, is hard to decipher and doesn't give as much in-depth info although it is a LOT less expensive. It seems to be the one I see mentioned on here the most. I did a search on Xcode on here, three hits where mentioned, but no personal "testimonials".

I have also taken a look at other data analyzers (via a link provided in one of the three hits on here) and it was helpful. But before I spend another chunk of change would like to know if anyone has used Xcode, rec'd a report, found it helpful?

Thanks!
Janet
Roguejim
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Xcode Life vs Promethease and other raw data analyzers

Post by Roguejim »

Personally, I will try Promethease, and if it does not give sufficient info, I will look for a genetic counselor, and spend $$ there.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

Rhonda Patrick's 'Comprehensive Report' is somewhat more user friendly than Promethease and only $10: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/genetics
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

I like Promethease because I was able to download the HTML+data files to my laptop and can easily lookup SNPs with it as I run across them. Of course, it doesn't get updated unless I spend more money for a new report.
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

BrianR wrote:Rhonda Patrick's 'Comprehensive Report' is somewhat more user friendly than Promethease and only $10: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/genetics
Thank you, didn't know she provided a report! I popped over and uploaded my file, mainly because I like listening to her YouTube videos and for $10 it was worth a shot. It was fast and easy to understand for the most part. It does get interesting when you have genes that do completely different things as in "longer lifespan" vs "normal lifespan" but I get it :-)

I had this at the end, not sure if I didn't upload the proper info/is normally part of what 23&Me provides, whether it matters, if I need to get tested for any of it... Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated. It says normal to be missing so "assume" 23 doesn't generate.

"Depending on the dataset you provided for report generation, not all possible report entries may be available. This is normal. In this case, the following groups were excluded because the data you upload did not contain the requisite SNPs: CYP2R1, GCH1, GCH1, GCH1, MTHFD1L, FOXO3, GHR, GHR, NPAS2, FOXO3, PEMT, FABP2, SLC4A5, PCSK9, SLC23A2, ADH1B, MCT1, TERC "

One interesting thing --- I've been gluten-free for probably 10 years now, did because I accidentally found out I cleaned up a lot of health issues, felt much better, more alert, and so on. The 23 report didn't say anything about celiac disease or gluten sensitivity (gave me no issues) --- this report said I had the gene for celiac &/or gluten sensitivity.
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

Jmac wrote: "Depending on the dataset you provided for report generation, not all possible report entries may be available. This is normal. In this case, the following groups were excluded because the data you upload did not contain the requisite SNPs: CYP2R1, GCH1, GCH1, GCH1, MTHFD1L, FOXO3, GHR, GHR, NPAS2, FOXO3, PEMT, FABP2, SLC4A5, PCSK9, SLC23A2, ADH1B, MCT1, TERC "[/i]
My report had the same comment at the bottom. listing these genes:

"FOXO3, PEMT, SLC23A2, CD36, OR6A, NAF1, TERC, ACYP2, TERC"

I checked the report, and I don't have any SNPs included for SLC23A2, CD36, OR6A, NAF1, and ACYP2. However, I do have SNPs reported for FOXO3, PEMT, and TERC but probably not all the SNPs Rhonda's report covers.

I was genotyped with both V2 and V3 chips, the last time in 2013. I wonder if these genes and additional SNPs are included in the current chip, which is V5. Do you know what chip version you are using?
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

Jmac wrote:[I had this at the end, not sure if I didn't upload the proper info/is normally part of what 23&Me provides, whether it matters, if I need to get tested for any of it... Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated. It says normal to be missing so "assume" 23 doesn't generate.
The major (ancestry focused) consumer testing services seem to use, basically, the same Illumina technologies, but customize the specific SNPs they look for. So 23andMe might cover a different part of your genes vs., say, Ancestry. Here are a couple of articles that sort of cover this issue:

https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Testing (Note that SNPedia is affiliated with Promethease, thus the many mentions)
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv ... 2.full.pdf ("SNP Selection and Concordance in Consumer Genetics Testing")
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

xactly wrote:
Jmac wrote: I checked the report, and I don't have any SNPs included for SLC23A2, CD36, OR6A, NAF1, and ACYP2. However, I do have SNPs reported for FOXO3, PEMT, and TERC but probably not all the SNPs Rhonda's report covers.

I was genotyped with both V2 and V3 chips, the last time in 2013. I wonder if these genes and additional SNPs are included in the current chip, which is V5. Do you know what chip version you are using?
I am completely new to genes, SNPs, etc., etc. I can see that I am going to need to learn the language and abbreviations! Should be good for my brain, will consider it brain training :-) I will have to look up V2 and V3 chips before I can answer your question. Sorry.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Jmac wrote: Prometheus, from what I can tell based on comments on here, is hard to decipher and doesn't give as much in-depth info although it is a LOT less expensive. It seems to be the one I see mentioned on here the most. I did a search on Xcode on here, three hits where mentioned, but no personal "testimonials".
I have also taken a look at other data analyzers (via a link provided in one of the three hits on here) and it was helpful. But before I spend another chunk of change would like to know if anyone has used Xcode, rec'd a report, found it helpful?
Thanks!
Janet
Hi Janet, I dont know where the idea that Promethease is hard to decipher is coming from, but I, for one, found it to be a tremendous resource. I did not find it difficult to understand. Information seemed clear to me. and it is a great price .
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

floramaria wrote:
Jmac wrote: Hi Janet, I dont know where the idea that Promethease is hard to decipher is coming from, but I, for one, found it to be a tremendous resource. I did not find it difficult to understand. Information seemed clear to me. and it is a great price .
Thanks! I couldn't tell you where I picked up that idea...reading so much :-) I did go the Rhonda Patrick route, gather it's the same price --- and maybe even the same info. Given the low amount I may go ahead and try Promethease just to compare. If I do I'll post on here. Will be a bit though, my Mom is dealing with what may be AD and I'm running back and forth helping out...