Xcode Life vs Promethease and other raw data analyzers

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Xcode Life vs Promethease and other raw data analyzers

Post by floramaria »

Jmac wrote: Thanks! I couldn't tell you where I picked up that idea...reading so much :-) I did go the Rhonda Patrick route, gather it's the same price --- and maybe even the same info. Given the low amount I may go ahead and try Promethease just to compare. If I do I'll post on here. Will be a bit though, my Mom is dealing with what may be AD and I'm running back and forth helping out..
If you do Promethease, I’ll be really interested in hearing what you think of the relative value of the two reports. do they overlap?
Approach things differently?
I ‘ll subscribe to this thread so that even if it is a while, I’ll be notified of new posts in this thread.

Meanwhile sending you a hug as you go back and forth helping your mom. I have been there myself. She is so fortunate to have your love and support. And just to share my own experience with you, hard as it was, I would not trade the memories of my time with my AD-afflicted mom for anything. We definitely met on a different level, which proved to be really good for each of us and took our relationship into a more heartfelt, less personality-bound place.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Roamingseer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roamingseer »

Jmac, I don't know about XCODE, but between Promethease and FoundMyFitness genetic analyzers, it's FoundMyFitness without a contest.

Promethease has the data there but they haven't done a decent job of presenting actionable data that you can use. Further, Promethease is very slow on the web, and to create a PDF you have to save it from a browser to a PDF, which results in a poorly formatted PDF (I've verified this with Safari and Chrome saving as a PDF). Also, I've contacted Promethease and made suggestions, which they chose not to follow-thru on. My impression is that it was a weekend project to put something on the web to bring in some needed cash. I do think that

Rhonda Patrick's FoundMyFitness genetic report is clean, professionally formatted, and has real actionable data. My report is a 37 page long PDF. The narratives are well-written and concise pointing out the basics such that you can understand a risk, along with information as to how you might mitigate it as well as find out more information. In the PDF, there are also the basic hyperlinks to SNPedia, just like Promethease.

Just my two cents... Take care.
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

Roamingseer wrote:Jmac, I don't know about XCODE, but between Promethease and FoundMyFitness genetic analyzers, it's FoundMyFitness without a contest.

Promethease has the data there but they haven't done a decent job of presenting actionable data that you can use. Further, Promethease is very slow on the web, and to create a PDF you have to save it from a browser to a PDF, which results in a poorly formatted PDF (I've verified this with Safari and Chrome saving as a PDF). Also, I've contacted Promethease and made suggestions, which they chose not to follow-thru on. My impression is that it was a weekend project to put something on the web to bring in some needed cash. I do think that

Rhonda Patrick's FoundMyFitness genetic report is clean, professionally formatted, and has real actionable data. My report is a 37 page long PDF. The narratives are well-written and concise pointing out the basics such that you can understand a risk, along with information as to how you might mitigate it as well as find out more information. In the PDF, there are also the basic hyperlinks to SNPedia, just like Promethease.

Thank you! I have gotten a LOT out of the info from Rhonda Patrick's info. I think I will skip trying Promethease for comparison given you've already done it. You saved me a few dollars :-).
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Roamingseer wrote:Jmac, I don't know about XCODE, but between Promethease and FoundMyFitness genetic analyzers, it's FoundMyFitness without a contest.
Hi Roamingseer,
Thanks for offering your two cents, especially since you have done both Promethease and FoundMyFitness! As I have only had Promethease, I did not have any comparison to make. Promethease gave me some info I found valuable, but having read your post, I think I'll run my raw data through FoundMyFitness too.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

This topic attracted a couple of new members seeking to advertise the Xcode Life raw dna data analysis service. (The moderation team thwarted their efforts.)

I believe Xcode Life is a scam site. It pains me to see it listed first in this topic name as it is not in the same league as the services offered by Promethease (mechanical customization of the entire SNPedia database to your genome) and FoundMyFitness (carefully curated reports from a well-respected biomedical science PhD).

If you have any doubt about Xcode Life, I recommend visiting the xcode.life ABOUT page. There are no executive bios or investor info; instead, the site strives to communicate legitimacy by listing the logos of a number of health and media organizations on a couple of link-free graphics.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

MarcR wrote:This topic attracted a couple of new members seeking to advertise the Xcode Life raw dna data analysis service. (The moderation team thwarted their efforts.)
I believe Xcode Life is a scam site.
Thanks for the warning!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Jmac wrote: I think I will skip trying Promethease for comparison given you've already done it. You saved me a few dollars :-).
FYI, I think Promethease is free till the end of the year, since they were recently acquired.
Tincup
E3,E4
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

Tincup wrote:FYI, I think Promethease is free till the end of the year, since they were recently acquired.
Thank you! Headed over to check them out.
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

Update: I have now (thanks to Tincup) looked at my 23&me raw date via Promethease AND Found My Fitness (FMF). I highly recommend doing both. The info is easier to read on FMF and I liked that suggestions were given (may need to eat more of these foods, take a supplement, etc.). Promethease seems to give a LOT of info and detail and has somewhat different info. I am still wandering lost through the Promethease data and plan to pull both reports up and do more comparison. More later if I manage to find time to delve deeper into the comparison. I'm glad I did both. I'm also glad I started with FMF as it seems to be more user-friendly.

I am kinda getting a kick out of trying to interpret the data...happy to report that I have a very low chance of having testicular cancer and prostate cancer. Two things knocked off my list of worries :-). Seriously though, I have a number that indicates a higher chance of certain things and as many or more that say I have a lower chance of that same thing.

The way I'm interpreting the info is that a lot of what gets expressed is in my control. Not all as there are environmental factors, plus who knows how much damage I created during my earlier years. I may have some fun and count all the pro and con --- if they are equal I'll figure they cancel each other out. :-)

Love the search feature at the top of Promethease. I popped in "cancer" and it pulled up all related, plus gave me a little pie chart showing the percentage of good and bad (I took out the ones that were not set).
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Jmac wrote:I'm glad I did both. I'm also glad I started with FMF as it seems to be more user-friendly.

I am kinda getting a kick out of trying to interpret the data...happy to report that I have a very low chance of having testicular cancer and prostate cancer. Two things knocked off my list of worries :-). Seriously though, I have a number that indicates a higher chance of certain things and as many or more that say I have a lower chance of that same thing.

The way I'm interpreting the info is that a lot of what gets expressed is in my control. Not all as there are environmental factors, plus who knows how much damage I created during my earlier years. I may have some fun and count all the pro and con --- if they are equal I'll figure they cancel each other out. :-)

Love the search feature at the top of Promethease. I popped in "cancer" and it pulled up all related, plus gave me a little pie chart showing the percentage of good and bad (I took out the ones that were not set).
Hi Jmac, let me be the first to congratulate you on your very low risk of testicular and prostate cancer!
I still haven’t done FMF but will one of these days. Happy to hear that you found getting the Promethease report worthwhile. I still Refer to mine when I read posts on the website or in other articles about specific SNPs.
I also had both SNPs that elevated my risk of diabetes 3.5 X for example, and others that gave me reduced risk for the same thing. Like your I figured they cancelled each other out, more or less.
And like you, I find that search function very useful.