Diet question

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
stewmca
New User
New User

Diet question

Post by stewmca »

Hello and thanks for putting together this great resource. I am 67 and I recently joined the forum but I have followed it periodically for years as I have known I am APOE 4/3 for about 10 years. My doctor was very knowledgeable about APOE 4 and was very familiar with Dr. Bredesen, so I have relied on his help in managing APOE4 and in somewhat following the protocol without officially signing up. Unfortunately he died recently and finding a replacement with his level of interest and knowledge hasn’t happened. So I am on my own now and trying to get updated by going through the APOE4 website. After doing that, my main question is about diet.

Several years ago I went to a nutritionist who was familiar with Dr. Bredesen, and she started me on the MIND diet. From my recollection which I just reconfirmed, under a 1000 person study those on this diet had a 53% lower risk of Alzheimer’s, and even those who followed it moderately had a 35% lower risk. On this diet, I have pretty much eliminated simple carbs but I am consuming plenty of complex carbs.

Now a few years later, from many postings herein, it seems that any types of carbs are bad per Dr. Bredesen and Dr. Gundry, and many are on keto diets. I’d be interested to know what evidence has supported this diet as better than the MIND diet? Granted the MIND study was observational but a 53% reduction seems highly effective, and the case for keto seems based more on inference than proof. Particularly as I’ve had high cholesterol and take statins, going to a diet that is 70% fat seems pretty drastic. Any comments on this are appreciated, thanks!
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Diet question

Post by Plumster »

Now a few years later, from many postings herein, it seems that any types of carbs are bad per Dr. Bredesen and Dr. Gundry, and many are on keto diets. I’d be interested to know what evidence has supported this diet as better than the MIND diet? Granted the MIND study was observational but a 53% reduction seems highly effective, and the case for keto seems based more on inference than proof. Particularly as I’ve had high cholesterol and take statins, going to a diet that is 70% fat seems pretty drastic. Any comments on this are appreciated, thanks!
As long as you don't have mild cognitive impairment, I'd stick with the MIND diet.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

stewmca wrote:Now a few years later, from many postings herein, it seems that any types of carbs are bad per Dr. Bredesen and Dr. Gundry, and many are on keto diets. I’d be interested to know what evidence has supported this diet as better than the MIND diet?
everything diet wise is individual. The MIND diet is better than the standard American diet (SAD). If you are exercising and have good numbers, then you are likely okay. E4s don't do well with glucose metabolism in the brain, so many like to add ketones to the mix. This is a secondary brain energy source that E4s do metabolize well. Thus the keto diet.

And since recent evidence is showing that AD folks are having neuron loss decades before symptoms start, likely resulting from not enough fuel to the brain.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachMT »

stewmca wrote:Hello and thanks for putting together this great resource. I am 67 and I recently joined the forum but I have followed it periodically for years as I have known I am APOE 4/3 for about 10 years. My doctor was very knowledgeable about APOE 4 and was very familiar with Dr. Bredesen, so I have relied on his help in managing APOE4 and in somewhat following the protocol without officially signing up. Unfortunately he died recently and finding a replacement with his level of interest and knowledge hasn’t happened. So I am on my own now and trying to get updated by going through the APOE4 website. After doing that, my main question is about diet.

Several years ago I went to a nutritionist who was familiar with Dr. Bredesen, and she started me on the MIND diet. From my recollection which I just reconfirmed, under a 1000 person study those on this diet had a 53% lower risk of Alzheimer’s, and even those who followed it moderately had a 35% lower risk. On this diet, I have pretty much eliminated simple carbs but I am consuming plenty of complex carbs.

Welcome to the ApoE4.Info site stewMCAt! It’s great to have you as a member of this active community! And wonderful to hear that you’ve been following the ApoE4.Info site and keeping informed through it over the past several years. What a gift to hear that the site and community have contributed to your wellness journey! I see you’ve already had a chance to post and receive several responses from community members- what a great example of the great resources and community the site provides each of us!

I’m guessing you may have some familiarity with the ,the primer,it is a great place to start to learn about the resources available on this site. It was authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele. It is regularly updated and provides information on the science behind the APOE-ε4 allele, tips on diet and lifestyle choices, biomarkers to check, and prevention strategies. Additionally, you may also be interested in checking out Our Stories to learn about fellow community members and to share your story with fellow members.

So great to have you in the community! Welcome and don’t hesitate to reach out with questions. There are so many helpful and knowledgeable members ready to support and share their experiences! Best, Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
stewmca
New User
New User

Post by stewmca »

Thanks for the helpful replies. Both helpful and preferable, as you've suggested I stay on the Mind diet. No impairment, I exercise a lot, and numbers have been fine, so I am very happy stay with it.