Blue Zones vs Modern Hunter Gatherer Zones

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Blue Zones vs Modern Hunter Gatherer Zones

Post by circular »

I liked this episode from Broken Brain Podcast:

#68: Is There an Optimal Diet for Humans? with Anahad O'Connor

It would be interesting to list commonalities between Blue Zone diets/lifestyles and modern hunter gatherer diets/lifestyles, but I'm too tired.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Sara Mushel, MS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Blue Zones vs Modern Hunter Gatherer Zones

Post by Sara Mushel, MS »

Thanks for sharing this, circular! I haven't watched it yet but I will put it on my to-do list this week. I'm particularly interested in the section about the impact of lifestyle and social connections on overall health. I heard a great quote recently, which was essentially that "people don't change in isolation; they change in community". We can do everything we should with regard to diet, getting enough sleep, and exercise, but long-lasting change seems to be most successful when those around us are doing the same.
It would be interesting to list commonalities between Blue Zone diets/lifestyles and modern hunter gatherer diets/lifestyles, but I'm too tired.
After watching this episode, I'll determine whether I have anything worth contributing to your intriguing question ;)

I think Dr. Hyman is such a wonderful contributor to the functional medicine conversation. His podcasts and books are always great. Thanks again for sharing!

Sara Mushel
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Sara Mushel, MS wrote:Thanks for sharing this, circular! I haven't watched it yet but I will put it on my to-do list this week. I'm particularly interested in the section about the impact of lifestyle and social connections on overall health. I heard a great quote recently, which was essentially that "people don't change in isolation; they change in community". We can do everything we should with regard to diet, getting enough sleep, and exercise, but long-lasting change seems to be most successful when those around us are doing the same.
After watching this episode, I'll determine whether I have anything worth contributing to your intriguing question ;)

I think Dr. Hyman is such a wonderful contributor to the functional medicine conversation. His podcasts and books are always great. Thanks again for sharing!

Sara Mushel
Hope you enjoy it. Some of it is relatively "basic" awareness to many, but there is always something new to learn in every podcast.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Yes, lots of commonalities! I found this to be very relevant for us. Thanks for sharing.
Lisa G
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lisa G »

circular wrote:It would be interesting to list commonalities between Blue Zone diets/lifestyles and modern hunter gatherer diets/lifestyles, but I'm too tired.
Hi Circ. I'm one of the new interns here starting 09/01 and this is my first response!! I listened to the podcast and here are some of my takes...

Chosen highlights of “Broken Brain” podcast #68 “Is there an optimal diet for humans?”:
“There is no optimal diet for everyone. Humans do very well on a wide range of diets…There is no one single diet that works very well for everyone.” (My thought...perhaps a more pertinent question would be, "Is there an optimal diet for each individual?" For example, persons wanting to prevent AD may respond better with a ketogenic diet.)
"Speaking in broad strokes, commonalities of the diets of modern hunter gatherers are meats, fish and plants...Also lots of fiber...One food that modern hunter gatherers do not eat is 'ultra-processed food,' which is the delivery mechanism for fat and simple carbs" in the form of potato chips, cookies, etc.
"Time-restricted eating promotes better metabolic health. Every organ has its own circadian rhythm. For example, the pancreas is most effective in the morning. Eating late at night forces the pancreas to wake up and do a job it wasn’t expecting to do." (The next time I want to eat some granola before bed, I'm going to think of my pancreas! :lol: )
"Strength training (building muscle) creates stronger mitochondria, i.e., it benefits the body at a cellular level. Muscle acts like a sponge and soaks up blood glucose, which makes the body more insulin sensitive. Muscles are like a “metabolic coat of armor.” (A good thought when I say to myself I can't do the last rep of weights!)
What does Anahad O’Connor, the writer of the NYT article, do?
1. Time-sensitive eating (only 11-12 hours per day except for one day when he fasts for 16 hours)
2. Eats healthy proteins…snacks on nuts, seeds
3. Works out
4. Incorporates a diversity of foods

I look forward to your continued contributions to this forum!
Lisa
Lisa H. Gerardi, MA
National Board Certified - Health & Wellness Coach
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Integrative Nutrition Certified Coach
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Lisa G wrote:One food that modern hunter gatherers do not eat is 'ultra-processed food,' which is the delivery mechanism for fat and simple carbs" in the form of potato chips, cookies, etc.
Thanks Lisa. I don't have time to summarize and extract from podcasts. Appreciate that!

I think you intended this, but I wanted to clarify that I think the statement above referred to foods that simultaneously deliver fat and simple carbs. I found it interesting that the only natural food that does so is breast milk.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Lisa G wrote:Every organ has its own circadian rhythm. For example, the pancreas is most effective in the morning. Eating late at night forces the pancreas to wake up and do a job it wasn’t expecting to do." (The next time I want to eat some granola before bed, I'm going to think of my pancreas! :lol: )
I think my conductor got into the liqueur cabinet during intermission.