Resveratrol and Estrogen Therapy

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Hboroughs
Contributor
Contributor

Resveratrol and Estrogen Therapy

Post by Hboroughs »

I was just about to re-order my resveratrol supply when I noticed this warning on the product description:

It is recommended to use resveratrol cautiously in patients with hormonal disorders and those using estrogen therapy, as resveratrol may act as either an estrogen agonist or estrogen antagonist.

I had no idea about this issue. Are any of you aware of it and whether those of us on bioidentical estrogen therapy should abstain from resveratrol even though it is generally recommended for apoe4 patients?

Thank you for any insights!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Resveratrol and Estrogen Therapy

Post by floramaria »

Hboroughs wrote:I was just about to re-order my resveratrol supply when I noticed this warning on the product description:

It is recommended to use resveratrol cautiously in patients with hormonal disorders and those using estrogen therapy, as resveratrol may act as either an estrogen agonist or estrogen antagonist.

I had no idea about this issue. Are any of you aware of it and whether those of us on bioidentical estrogen therapy should abstain from resveratrol even though it is generally recommended for apoe4 patients?

Thank you for any insights!
Hi, Hboroughs, I appreciate your bringing this up. I had not ever heard this until your post, and since I am also on BHRT and taking resveretrol, it certainly warrants more research.
This article , Resveratrol Acts as a Mixed Agonist/Antagonist for Estrogen Receptors alpha and beta, has a lot of info.
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/a8b7/5 ... a2e70f.pdf
In the results, the article says that while resveratrol is a phytoestrogen,
"Our results show that resveratrol binds ERa and ERb with comparable affinity, but with much lower affinity than E2. "

I wonder if the warning on your reseveratrol is just based on its being a phytoestrogen.
Last edited by floramaria on Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Hboroughs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hboroughs »

Hi Floramaria - I have also been doing some researching and it is not difficult to find information indicating that resveratrol has hormone-like properties and in fact some use it in LIEU of BHRT. Hmmm.

I sent the information to my FM doctor for her input and will let you know what she sends back. I guess if one's labs show healthy levels of estrogen then all should theoretically be ok? Maybe one can use less estrogen while taking resveratrol?

I was just so surprised when I read the warning! Had never heard that before.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Yes, I did some research on this a while back, but it was related to COMT and the catechol in resveratrol. I take Chinese Skullcap instead of resveratrol once in a while, as it doesn't contain the catechol structure (that can slow down COMT and cause excess estrogen and cancer). Flavanoids without cathecol include: genistein, chrysin, myricetin, and flavones (includes tangeritin, chrysin, baicalein, scutellarein, wogonin). While doing research, Baicalein looked promising: https://selfhacked.com/blog/baicalein-b ... flavanoid/
And also the one I ended up with: Scutellaria baicalensis https://examine.com/supplements/scutell ... icalensis/
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Hboroughs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hboroughs »

Plumster thank you so much for that helpful information! I have slow COMT, so plan to immediately change my supplementation. It seems like an impossible task to stay abreast of all this information and do the right thing. There is just so much to know.

I am constantly amazed at the resources this group has.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

You're welcome, Hboroughs. I also take a DIM (Indole-3-carbon) supplement sometimes because of my slow COMT.
Hboroughs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hboroughs »

Plumster - I used to take DIM but my FM doctor advised I stop it when my last labs came back for low estrogen in spite of my BHRT. She upped the concentration in my Rx from 50 mg to 75, and told me to stop the DIM because it may have been lowering my levels. I was also taking resveratrol at the time. That was in June and I am re-running labs later this month. I do feel better but am always cautious about the effects of estrogen because of the slow COMT.

I am hoping that my hormone levels are the real indicator of whether my estrogen dosage is proper - whether one takes DIM, resveratrol or any other phytoestrogens.
Lisa G
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lisa G »

Hboroughs wrote:I am constantly amazed at the resources this group has.
Wow, me too! As a newbie support intern (first day on the job ;) !), I am amazed at the breadth and depth of information here on this site. I'm looking forward to learning a lot over these next six months!
Lisa H. Gerardi, MA
National Board Certified - Health & Wellness Coach
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Integrative Nutrition Certified Coach
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Plumster - I used to take DIM but my FM doctor advised I stop it when my last labs came back for low estrogen in spite of my BHRT. She upped the concentration in my Rx from 50 mg to 75, and told me to stop the DIM because it may have been lowering my levels. I was also taking resveratrol at the time. That was in June and I am re-running labs later this month. I do feel better but am always cautious about the effects of estrogen because of the slow COMT.

I am hoping that my hormone levels are the real indicator of whether my estrogen dosage is proper - whether one takes DIM, resveratrol or any other phytoestrogens.
Oh, that's interesting. Perhaps resveratrol is not a problem for you then. I'm taking a very, very small dose of estradiol (0.075 mg) and have tender breasts all the time indicating excess estrogen. I don't actually know what my levels are currently. But I eat a 1 1/2 cups of blueberries a day, which is not ideal (and ideal at the same time). Today I didn't have blueberries, and they're not as tender. I'm about to take the Dutch test to see how my body's processing it all.
pguyer807
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pguyer807 »

Wow, I didn't realize there were so many slow COMT people! It isn’t that common to be COMT.
I also was in the past on high dose estradiol with low levels in blood.
Any other cautions with COMT++, ++?