Page 4 of 7

Re: Gundry internet ads

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:43 am
by circular
Jan18 wrote:I read Gundry says we aggressively oxidize saturated fat so we have to limit that.

If we're interested in personalized medicine, I think general statements even about how apoe4 affects us can be misguided and ramp up fear unnecessarily, then the fear itself can become one of the worst aspects of one's lifestyle. I've concluded this from personal experience!

Testing OXLDL, a direct marker for LDL oxidation, might help you. I am 3/4 and have a very good OXLDL score.

Dropping carbs curbs LDL oxidation.

That said, is saturated fat different and we oxidize it regardless of carb load and it's not seen using OXLDL?

Re: Gundry internet ads

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:56 pm
by thjj
Jan18 wrote:
thjj wrote:Have you tried switching the good fat/lean protein breakdown, to instead
    70% lean protein/20% good fat/10% carbs
You seem to be doing everything right, so it doesn't make sense that the 70% good fat breakdown isn't working, which suggests to me that your body is not using the fats for fuel but instead storing it, IMHO


Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate all the suggestions given here.

I haven't thought of that. I thought too much protein was stored as fat? Can you tell me how you came up with that? I thought high protein eating was only for super athletes?

TBH until I learned about the ketogenic diet via my 4/4 status, I thought the high-protein, low-carb diet was the widely accepted way to lose weight, at least in the scientific community. Too much protein supposedly turns to fat, but since you exercise, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Also, my take is that instead of direct fat, eating protein would be preferable, in which the process would be slower, giving one the chance to burn it off.

Re: Gundry internet ads

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:13 am
by thjj
Jan18 wrote:And what is your take on what Gundry now says in his Moroccon olive oil ad about the other olive oils around the world not being good for us or at the least, not having a 30th of the "good stuff" (darn, forgot the name of the compound he tells about in his ad) that his Moroccon olive oil has?

Gundry says it's hydroxytyrosol

Re: Gundry internet ads

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:15 am
by thjj
BTW it looks like you went with the fasting—good job! Hope it's going well for you.

Re: Gundry internet ads

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:21 am
by Jan18
thjj wrote:BTW it looks like you went with the fasting—good job! Hope it's going well for you.


Thanks for the ingredient name and for your support! Recent labs show some still bad cholesterol markers and insulin still 11, leptin 61. :( So will be working with my functional medicine doctor on those....some other concerns, too. She is a big fan of Jason Fung, I have come to learn! :D

But also have some good results, among which are triglycerides to HDLC ratio optimal, A1c is 5.2 and homocysteine 7.

And having more success with incorporating small changes one at a time to mount up to a big improved overall lifestyle.

Re: Gundry internet ads

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:41 am
by TheresaB
Jan18 wrote:And having more success with incorporating small changes one at a time to mount up to a big improved overall lifestyle.


Great news, so happy for you!

By the way, yesterday I listened to a podcast where Peter Attia interviewed Jason Fung. I was hesitant about listening to it at first because I've heard many of Dr Fung's talks before and thought it would be all "rerun" but no, it was eye opening! It is a long interview, over 2.5 hours, (driving on the road to listen to it helped) but that amount of time gave Dr Fung a chance to weave everything together - insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, obesity, inflammation, cardiovascular disease, cancer, Alzheimer's, fasting, intermittent fasting, etc. It helped that Peter Attia is also a doctor and asks good questions. A warning, some of the talk is "sciencey" but it was enlightening to me. If you're interested https://peterattiamd.com/jasonfung/

Re: Gundry internet ads

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:40 am
by floramaria
Jan18 wrote:Thanks for the ingredient name and for your support! Recent labs show some still bad cholesterol markers and insulin still 11, leptin 61. :( So will be working with my functional medicine doctor on those....some other concerns, too. She is a big fan of Jason Fung, I have come to learn! :D

But also have some good results, among which are triglycerides to HDLC ratio optimal, A1c is 5.2 and homocysteine 7.

And having more success with incorporating small changes one at a time to mount up to a big improved overall lifestyle.

Congratulations, Jan18, on your improved labs. Great that you have brought your A1c and Homocysteine down and that you have optimal Trigs to HDL-C. Big improvements from small changes over time!
Please continue to post your results. It will be interesting to us all to know the effects of your “Fungian” experience.

Re: Gundry internet ads

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:10 pm
by Jan18
Jan18 wrote:
TheresaB wrote:I also like the book, “Eat Rich, Live Long” by Dr Jeffry Gerber and Ivor Cummins for understanding insulin and weight loss. The book even mentions ApoE4 cautioning about fats.


TheresaB,
Got the book and cannot thank you enough for the reference! I love it. Answers so many questions about insulin (and much more) and using the online insulin resistance app it suggests, I see I am in-between "mildly resistant" and "highly resistant." :o

This must be the problem of my not losing weight.

So now I am taking even more measures to lower that resistance. The book, though, has given me the confidence that I can return to normal sensitivity. I will undertake fasting longer than 18 hours now.

In your opinion, can I start with one day a week?

Thank you!
Barbara

Re: Gundry internet ads

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:12 pm
by Jan18
floramaria wrote:
Jan18 wrote:Congratulations, Jan18, on your improved labs. Great that you have brought your A1c and Homocysteine down and that you have optimal Trigs to HDL-C. Big improvements from small changes over time!
Please continue to post your results. It will be interesting to us all to know the effects of your “Fungian” experience.


Thank you, floramaria!

I will let you all know how I do with the fasting. It's so nice to know there are others out there who care about my results and who have been such valuable resources for me.

Barbara

Re: Gundry internet ads

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:14 pm
by Jan18
TheresaB wrote:
By the way, yesterday I listened to a podcast where Peter Attia interviewed Jason Fung. I was hesitant about listening to it at first because I've heard many of Dr Fung's talks before and thought it would be all "rerun" but no, it was eye opening! It is a long interview, over 2.5 hours, (driving on the road to listen to it helped) but that amount of time gave Dr Fung a chance to weave everything together - insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, obesity, inflammation, cardiovascular disease, cancer, Alzheimer's, fasting, intermittent fasting, etc. It helped that Peter Attia is also a doctor and asks good questions. A warning, some of the talk is "sciencey" but it was enlightening to me. If you're interested https://peterattiamd.com/jasonfung/


Thank you, TheresaB!

I am travelling and have time in my hotel room today to hear this....can't wait.....2.5 hours, Wow!