If you use a device running an Android version prior to 7.1.1, beginning January 11 your access from that device to this site and many others will be impaired. For details and solutions, see this topic.

Choline Confusion

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
frankiesfriend
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Choline Confusion

Postby frankiesfriend » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:29 pm

I have been confused on this issue as well. I do want to lower my homocysteine from 9.8, but I have read that choline intake raised insulin resistance (appears to be an inconsistent result according the studies Julie cited), but also I think I have read that choline supplementation may raise cholesterol levels. Since high LDL is a problem for me (both LDL-C and LDL-P are high), I am at a crossroads. Which is more concerning...high cholesterol or high homocysteine? My second question has to do with which methyl donor to use when I do supplement if lowering homocysteine without raising other biomarkers is the goal. So do I take choline, or TMG, or PC, or betaine, or a little of each if meat intake is low? Right now, I switch back and forth, but I don't have any confidence that I know what I am doing. Each morning, I have numerous supplement bottles to choose from and I am always wondering if what I am taking is more harmful or helpful.

I am postmenopausal, and regarding this issue, genetics is working against me. Thank you for your insights.

frankiesfriend
E3/E4, My mother was diagnosed with AD at age 73.

BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby BrianR » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:42 pm

Julie G wrote:In defense of the authors, nutritional science is very difficult to conduct, especially from a longitudinal perspective. From this paper, however, I see no convincing evidence that dietary choline intake is correlated with mortality.

I don't want to be obnoxious and insist that "nutritional science" is an oxymoron. But, I guess I've reached the point where I read these studies for entertainment purposes, rather than as potential guidelines.

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Postby Julie G » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:36 pm

I don't want to be obnoxious and insist that "nutritional science" is an oxymoron. But, I guess I've reached the point where I read these studies for entertainment purposes, rather than as potential guidelines.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby circular » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:58 pm

Julie G wrote:Hi Circ! I took a quick look at your latter study...

Thanks Julie! No worries about the graphic, just call me bat woman!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.

Return to “Prevention and Treatment”