Non-Bluetooth Sleep Trackers

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Non-Bluetooth Sleep Trackers

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:I need your help, smart people. I'm searching for a non-bluetooth/Wi-Fi sleep tracker. The only one that I know of is the Oura ring. Are there others? TIA!
Hi Julie, Did you decide on one and if so how do you like it?

I'm considering getting the Dreem 2 on sale for $299, but I'm struggling to find time to research it well (as with everything else ;) ). Also the Dreem app just has average reviews. One would think if their device is so much better than others they would be putting time, money and energy into a highly rated app experience. No update in seven months despite the complaints, so not sure what to think about that. Optimistically, maybe they're working on a major overhaul?

A while back I read the FDA registered isn't the same as FDA approved, but I'm not clear on the difference.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'm considering getting the Dreem 2 on sale for $299, but I'm struggling to find time to research it well (as with everything else ;) )
Thank you for letting us know. That's a huge sale, down from $499!!! I'm going to order today. My research suggests that this is by far the most accurate sleep tracker out there as it uses actual EEG measurements vs. proxy biomarkers. The Oura Ring appears to be the next best thing. A Google search reveals various reviews comparing the two.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:
I'm considering getting the Dreem 2 on sale for $299, but I'm struggling to find time to research it well (as with everything else ;) )
Thank you for letting us know. That's a huge sale, down from $499!!! I'm going to order today. My research suggests that this is by far the most accurate sleep tracker out there as it uses actual EEG measurements vs. proxy biomarkers. The Oura Ring appears to be the next best thing. A Google search reveals various reviews comparing the two.
Thanks for that feedback. I'm conflicted about ordering it, only because of any cost for anything these days, and because I desire to go more low tech in life in general. I don't like what being hyperfocused on data does to me. I'd like to know what Dreem 2 'thinks' about my sleep, but have a feeling once I get the pattern I wouldn't use it, so in the long run it's still expensive unless I wear it long into the future. Please let us know, if you think of it and have a chance, how it works for you.
JimBG
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by JimBG »

I've used the Dreem2 for over 300 hours along with the Oura ring that I've had for about 2 years. There's no doubt that the Dreem2 is more accurate as it measures your brain waves. Here's a good YouTube video documenting that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIokaYy5dXk

The 2 trackers are pretty aligned on time in bed, awakenings and heart rate. But not on sleep onset or sleep stages. They are not congruent there. I trust the Dreem 2 on that. I like the Oura ring with respect to HRV which I understand is pretty accurate. I think that is very important. However, I stopped using the Dreem2 after about a month as the information was getting repetitive and not actionable. I only use it if I make a notable change in my sleep protocol. For example, recently I stopped using my CPAP machine as I lost 20 pounds and wondered if I still needed it and how that would affect my sleep. Well to my surprise both devices (I used Dreem2 for a week) indicated significantly more deep sleep. I was very surprised needless to say. The Oura ring is obviously easier to use (more sticky as Matt Walker put it on a recent podcast with Peter Attia), but the algorithm used for sleep stages needs improvement. If you want accuracy and can afford it, I would recommend Dreem2.
Last edited by JimBG on Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

JimBG wrote:I've used the Dreem2 for over 300 hours along with the Oura ring that I've had for about 2 years. There's no doubt that the Dreem2 is more accurate as it measures your brain waves. Here's a good YouTube video documenting that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIokaYy5dXk

The 2 trackers are pretty aligned on time in bed, awakenings and heart rate. But not on sleep onset or sleep stages. They are not congruent there. I trust the Dreem 2 on that. I like the Oura ring with respect to HRV which I understand is pretty accurate. I think that is very important. However, I stopped using the Dreem2 after about a month as the information was getting repetitive and not actionable. I only use it if a make a notable change in my sleep protocol. For example, recently I stopped using my CPAP machine as I lost 20 pounds and I wondered if I still needed it and how that would affect my sleep. Well to my surprise both devices (I used Dreem2 for a week) indicated significantly more deep sleep. I was very surprised needless to say. The Oura ring is obviously easier to use (more sticky as Matt Walker put it on a recent podcast with Peter Attia), but the algorithm used for sleep stages needs improvement. If you want accuracy and can afford it, I would recommend Dreem2.
Thanks Jim. Great feedback. I'm still hemming and hawing over the cost, even on sale.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

If it makes you feel better, Circ, my Dreem2 is still sitting in the box. I've been too busy to play with it, but plan to bust it open tonight. I think part of me is afraid of what I'll learn, lol. I've also recently discovered this continuous pulse oximetry gadget, for only $179. I think I'm gonna bite.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Julie G wrote:If it makes you feel better, Circ, my Dreem2 is still sitting in the box. I've been too busy to play with it, but plan to bust it open tonight. I think part of me is afraid of what I'll learn, lol. I've also recently discovered this continuous pulse oximetry gadget, for only $179. I think I'm gonna bite.
Interesting. Thanks for the link. Please let us know what you think about it. I need an upgrade from the inaccurate $30 Pulse Oximeter I bought, since bad information is worse than no information.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
redryder
Contributor
Contributor

Post by redryder »

floramaria wrote:
Julie G wrote:If it makes you feel better, Circ, my Dreem2 is still sitting in the box. I've been too busy to play with it, but plan to bust it open tonight. I think part of me is afraid of what I'll learn, lol. I've also recently discovered this continuous pulse oximetry gadget, for only $179. I think I'm gonna bite.
Interesting. Thanks for the link. Please let us know what you think about it. I need an upgrade from the inaccurate $30 Pulse Oximeter I bought, since bad information is worse than no information.
the continuous pulse oximeter in your link is quite a good little gadget, I believe, but we didn't get the ring model. Instead we got the Sleep-U, made by the same manufacturer, Viatomtech, which is a wrist band unit with an attached sensor that goes on your thumb. We got one to monitor how well Marion's CPAP is doing for her, and we've both tried it. It is, of course, bluetooth enabled, and I can see the report every morning on my iPhone. It works marvelously well. Out of curiosity, why did you want a non-bluetooth, Julie G?
Caregiver to 3/4 spouse w/MCI; following ReCoDe protocol as best we can (bofus)...
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

redryder wrote: It is, of course, bluetooth enabled, and I can see the report every morning on my iPhone. It works marvelously well. Out of curiosity, why did you want a non-bluetooth, Julie G?
For me, I don't sleep around radio enabled devices.
Tincup
E3,E4
redryder
Contributor
Contributor

Post by redryder »

'kay, thanks... i suspect that's the case with many folks. I don't know if it would make any difference to those who feel similarly, but the Sleep U only transmits data after it's "turned off", that is, after it is no longer actively reading (removed from the wrist and finger/thumb).
Last edited by redryder on Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caregiver to 3/4 spouse w/MCI; following ReCoDe protocol as best we can (bofus)...