UsAgainstAlzheimers report: non-pharmacological interventions

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

UsAgainstAlzheimers report: non-pharmacological interventions

Post by Fiver »

Anyone seen this yet? I read the report, which reads like a journal review article but as far as I can tell is not published in a peer-reviewed journal. But it seems useful and legit, ranking various non-pharmacological interventions by the strength of supporting evidence. Link Below.

Washington, D.C. (Sept. 11, 2019) – UsAgainstAlzheimer’s (UsA2) today released a new report which highlights the strengths, gaps, and opportunities for further exploration within the non-pharmacological interventions pipeline, which could slow, delay, or possibly even prevent Alzheimer’s and related dementias. Non-pharmacological treatments were defined as any replicable lifestyle intervention, such as diet and exercise or alternative approaches, such as cognitive training, medical devices, and modifiable risk factors, which may provide some quantifiable or relevant positive change in commonly reported symptoms of Alzheimer’s patients.

The report, developed by ResearchersAgainstAlzheimer’s, found that while initial research at the preclinical or early clinical stages reveals potential for non-pharmacological interventions, more expansive, multimodal studies – where two or more interventions are examined together – are needed to fully explore these preliminary results, particularly for communities of color and women. This underscores the urgent need for markedly increased funding for Alzheimer’s research at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), where 62 non-pharmacological studies are currently being conducted. The full report can be found here.

https://www.usagainstalzheimers.org/pre ... erexplored
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: UsAgainstAlzheimers report: non-pharmacological interventions

Post by Julie G »

Good find, Fiver. One of my favorites is hosted by the Alzheimer's Drug Discovery group. They host a "Tools for PREVENTION" page (note the emphasis? ;)) called Cognitive Vitality where they examine the strength of evidence for multiple supplements, pharma, food & drink.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: UsAgainstAlzheimers report: non-pharmacological interventions

Post by Fiver »

Thanks Julie. That's also a interesting site. (when I saw that they list statins as having solid evidence supporting moderate benefit I imagined the debate that might cause, though it does seem - at least to me - to be an accurate rating).

It is interesting what happens in society as evidence for non-pharmacological interventions continues to accumulate - the big "gate-keeping" associations that were so skeptical now seem to be on board (and sometimes ignoring those who came to the same conclusion earlier). That's the way it goes, I suppose.

Neither mentioned apoe4 specifically, at least that I recall from reading them quickly.