NR and NMN

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Bhinebaugh
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NR and NMN

Post by Bhinebaugh »

After reading Sinclair’s book and listening to the Rhonda Patrick podcast, I started taking 500 mg of nmn Alive by Nature sublingual tablets to see how it makes me feel for a month. Immediately I feel like I am more alert. Had 2 plus hours of deep sleep last night and 2 hours Rem that is unusual for me. I am wondering if it is the placebo effect or is it really doing something that quickly? Time will tell. It’s very expensive so not sure I can continue. I am spacing 150 mg tablets 4 times a day as recommended by the supplement company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
antimatter37
Contributor
Contributor

Post by antimatter37 »

I have been taking 150 mg of NR (Niagen) for about one year. No changes in my bloodwork. Upped the dose to 300 mg, then 900 mg about one month ago. I did not notice any changes in how I feel or sleep with the dosage increase. Have not had bloodwork on the higher dose yet.

Found NMN on Alibaba (China) in bulk about one month ago, and ordered 250 g for about $70 including shipping.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000579 ... b201603_53

It took about 3 weeks to arrive. I used a small mg scale to determine that 1 g is just about 1/4 tsp of the white powder. It dissolves easily in water, and that is how I take 1 g of it daily )all at once) for about a week now. Really don't notice any difference in anything physical or mental in switching from NR to this bulk NMN. Is it really 99% NMN as advertised? I don't know. How many supplements that we buy here in the US are actually manufactured in China, India, or other overseas and simply re-branded? Maybe someday there will be some independent tests on supplements like these.
Bhinebaugh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bhinebaugh »

Interesting. I chose alive by nature because it has ver good reviews and recommended by some I respect. It was $150 for 240 tablets at 150 mg each. So this should last me 2 months taking 4 tablets a day. They say it can degrade if not kept cold so shipping could be an issue. Mine came in one day and I keep in the refrigerator.
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

I am in a couple of NAD groups, Sinclair groups, etc. on Facebook, plus have alerts set up for Sinclair, follow Sinclair, Patrick and others on Twitter, etc. Seems everyone has a favorite brand, a way of taking, and opinions with studies to back them up! It gets confusing, but I kinda opt to find the middle ground or the common threads and go with it until I learn differently.

I am taking NMN from ProHealth (order a 6 month supply of the powder, less expensive in the long run & they swear it doesn't need to be refrigerated but I do it anyway), take Resveratrol from toniq (it's white, had good reviews on the groups I'm in...Sinclair said white is better at some point so I switched), and TruNiagen's NR. I don't take any of them every single day, just cycle. I have no clue whether they are doing anything for me or not...I feel great, my numbers are great, but I'm a kinda peppy person to begin with so I didn't notice any big differences. I am taking to help my brain and doing it on faith.

I was chatting on a board about trying to find non-pill or powder forms for my mother (on a steep decline with dementia) and Alive by Nature popped up and said they'd send me two of their products to try. One was a nasal version of a NAD & CBD combo, the other was a spray for under the tongue. Mom couldn't handle doing either so I ended up getting them back, trying. I gave the nasal spray to my son --- it irritated my nose & I really hate spraying things up my nose anyway. I started using the under-the-tongue spray last night so I will have to see how it works. My biggest goal right now is to improve my sleep, primarily my deep sleep. Thought maybe the CBD would help with that & the NAD wouldn't hurt...
Bhinebaugh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bhinebaugh »

Thank you for the info Jmac. I may switch to those brands after I finish with what I am taking. I quit Facebook so sometimes miss out on good info. I couldn’t find where Sinclair had recommended a brand. I don’t know if it’s doing anything either. I have both Alzheimer’s and heart disease in my family and hoping this will help or at least slow down my chances of developing. Also need some more energy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

Bhinebaugh wrote:I couldn’t find where Sinclair had recommended a brand.
Sinclair doesn't recommend any brands, sorry if I misled. He is very adamant that he can't be an objective scientist and yet promote any particular brand. At one point someone had a Sinclair Laboratories brand of NMN, maybe other similar things, on Amazon...I zapped him a private message and had my ten seconds of fame when he tweeted out a thank you to me publically for finding them, allowing him to let everyone know it wasn't him. He said he spends a lot of time and dollars sending out cease & desist orders.
brainhug
New User
New User

Post by brainhug »

I tried the Elysium Basis Nr + Pterostilbine combo. It seemed to work really well. I was crushing my exercise sessions. Unfortunately Covid then started affecting the delivery times and I kept having to go without for weeks at a time (I'm not in the US and use a mail forwarding service). I had ordered Revgenetics NMN powder and Resveratrol powder also and am using this between Elysium deliveries but I don't appear to be having the same effect. Again Covid meant the NMN/Resveratrol spent 6 weeks in the post and I wonder if it was stored at the incorrect temperature at some point. Whatever the issue I'm not impressed. Sinclair appears to prefer NMN to Nr. He mentioned a new molecule called MIB626 in one of his podcasts that's was in human safety trials last year. Anyone hear anything about that? I know a different topic but I heard Daniel Schmachtenberger speak recently and was impressed by his open-source, ethical approach. Anybody try Qualia?
AKA
Support Team
Support Team

Post by AKA »

brainhug wrote:I tried the Elysium Basis Nr + Pterostilbine combo. It seemed to work really well. I was crushing my exercise sessions. Unfortunately Covid then started affecting the delivery times and I kept having to go without for weeks at a time (I'm not in the US and use a mail forwarding service). I had ordered Revgenetics NMN powder and Resveratrol powder also and am using this between Elysium deliveries but I don't appear to be having the same effect. Again Covid meant the NMN/Resveratrol spent 6 weeks in the post and I wonder if it was stored at the incorrect temperature at some point. Whatever the issue I'm not impressed. Sinclair appears to prefer NMN to Nr. He mentioned a new molecule called MIB626 in one of his podcasts that's was in human safety trials last year. Anyone hear anything about that? I know a different topic but I heard Daniel Schmachtenberger speak recently and was impressed by his open-source, ethical approach. Anybody try Qualia?
Hello brainhug!

Welcome to the ApoE4.info website. We're happy you've joined us. As you have likely discovered, there is a wealth of information and a warm community to provide support. It sounds like you have been on your journey for a while and have some great info/knowledge. Thanks for sharing and for your questions! I don't have experience with the supplements you reference but I am sure one of our members will chime in here. In the meantime, I will be doing my homework on this and might consider trying them myself!

I'm not sure how long you've been following the ApoE4.info site, but I thought I'd share a bit about some of the helpful features. If you haven't read through the Primer, I highly recommend it. It was written by one of our member physicians, Stavia, and is a great resource. If you are so inclined, please feel free to share more about what brought you here on the Our Stories section of the site.

Again, welcome brainhug! I look forward to learning and growing with you.
AKA (apoe4 intern)
ps- love your name brainhug....sounds so comforting :D
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

brainhug wrote:I tried the Elysium Basis Nr + Pterostilbine combo. It seemed to work really well. I was crushing my exercise sessions. Unfortunately Covid then started affecting the delivery times and I kept having to go without for weeks at a time (I'm not in the US and use a mail forwarding service). I had ordered Revgenetics NMN powder and Resveratrol powder also and am using this between Elysium deliveries but I don't appear to be having the same effect. Again Covid meant the NMN/Resveratrol spent 6 weeks in the post and I wonder if it was stored at the incorrect temperature at some point. Whatever the issue I'm not impressed. Sinclair appears to prefer NMN to Nr. He mentioned a new molecule called MIB626 in one of his podcasts that's was in human safety trials last year. Anyone hear anything about that? I know a different topic but I heard Daniel Schmachtenberger speak recently and was impressed by his open-source, ethical approach. Anybody try Qualia?
Thanks for sharing that. Seems five or more years have passed since I started my lifestyle changes to avert the downside of apoe4, and I've yet to take time to even begin trying to understand this particular arena or take anything to do with it. Maybe I'll just try what you're taking, go on with the other things on my plate, and see what happens :D
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
brainhug
New User
New User

Post by brainhug »

Well please don't take my word for it, circular. I haven't checked my own apoe status and have joined this site due to my interest in general brain health. For instance this review of Elysium Basis is pretty scathing (https://www.vaga.org/nootropics/elysium-basis-review/) but maybe they have a vested interest. David Sinclair speaks to Rhonda Patrick about Nr and NMN on the 'Foundmyfitness' podcast. She's pretty thorough (and has an apoe4 allele). She also discusses her own brain health regime which she appears to have researched pretty thoroughly. I'd definitely check her out before plumping for any particular supplement.