NR and NMN

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Hboroughs
Contributor
Contributor

NR and NMN

Post by Hboroughs »

I have listened with great interest to multiple podcasts with David Sinclair, and I know others here have as well. His information on NR and NMN were very interesting (financial conflict of interest aside). Can anyone here report extended use of either supplement and how labs have been affected? I did try niacinimide a year ago and it elevated my glucose levels significantly (20+ points) so I stopped using it. I wonder if NR or NMN would have a similar effect.

Given the apoe4 tendency away from longevity, learning more about possibly increasing healthspan is intriguing. Main concerns are adverse effects with exercise and cancer promotion.

Would love thoughts from the group.

Thanks you.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: NR and NMN

Post by TheresaB »

-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Hboroughs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hboroughs »

@theresaB thank you for sending that link. I did a search for NMN but only in the prevention area of the site so that is a good lesson for me to look elsewhere when searching. His information was so interesting! I plan to try the NR.
antimatter37
Contributor
Contributor

Post by antimatter37 »

I have been using 150 mg NR since shortly after it became commercially available (as Niagen). There have been no noticeable changes to any of my cholesterol levels, nor have I noticed any other side effects (good or bad).

There is a newer podcast from Dr. Sinclair on aging and the correlation between aging and diseases like LOAD, cancer, heart disease, etc.

https://jamesaltucher.com/podcast/492-david-sinclair/

Sinclair himself takes NMN over NR, however, he does not explain why in this podcast. Both seem to boost NAD+ equally well.
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

Hboroughs wrote:I have listened with great interest to multiple podcasts with David Sinclair, and I know others here have as well. His information on NR and NMN were very interesting (financial conflict of interest aside). Can anyone here report extended use of either supplement and how labs have been affected? I did try niacinimide a year ago and it elevated my glucose levels significantly (20+ points) so I stopped using it. I wonder if NR or NMN would have a similar effect.

Given the apoe4 tendency away from longevity, learning more about possibly increasing healthspan is intriguing. Main concerns are adverse effects with exercise and cancer promotion.

Would love thoughts from the group.

Thanks you.
I haven’t tried any of these yet, but I wanted to comment on your reaction to niacinimide. Sinclair has said in a few different podcasts that he doesn’t like that form, that it actually can be harmful to Sirtuins at higher doses. So maybe that’s why you had that reaction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APOE4/4
babl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by babl »

I recently listened to Rhonda Patrick's interview with Sinclair. Sounds like he takes a full gram of NMN (also micronized resveratrol) powder every day. I used to take NR (along with pterostilbene) but never noticed much from it. Then again, I wasn't taking nearly the dose that Sinclair does. It's not easy to find micronized resveratrol powder, and the NMN powder (also not easy to find) is so expensive! But I'm giving it a try for the time being. Sinclair had such great things to say about them.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Where did you find the micronized resveratrol?
DavidSinclair's new book, Lifespan, is really a uplifting paradigm change. I learned a lot more from it than any of his interviews with Peter Attia, Joe Rogan, Rhonda Patrick and others. I highly recommend it.
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

I’m in the middle of reading his book. Much of it is well over my head, so I am appreciating the podcasts because they help repackage some of the info in a way that makes sense to me. Then I go back and reread that portion of the book and it clicks.
Well, most of the podcasts at least. The Joe Rogan one sucked brain cells out that I won’t get back. ;)

I’m very interested in his work, but in pricing out the NR and NMN I’m thinking adding it to my protocol will have to wait until I’ve finished with other supplements first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APOE4/4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Here's a link to NAD+ and Alzheimer's treatment:
https://www.alzforum.org/news/research- ... rs-disease
NAD+ precursors are known to stimulate mitophagy. Bohr said an advantage of this dietary supplement is that it has few side effects. NAD+ precursors are beginning to be evaluated for neurodegenerative and other conditions
Also, I tried Thorne's Resveracel with Niagen, Quercetin and TMG the other day and I was wired all day! Too much methyl in one dose for this COMT++. I am now looking at Life Extension's NAD+ and combining it with resveratrol and fat in the diet.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebbieG »

Plumster wrote:Here's a link to NAD+ and Alzheimer's treatment:
https://www.alzforum.org/news/research- ... rs-disease
NAD+ precursors are known to stimulate mitophagy. Bohr said an advantage of this dietary supplement is that it has few side effects. NAD+ precursors are beginning to be evaluated for neurodegenerative and other conditions
Also, I tried Thorne's Resveracel with Niagen, Quercetin and TMG the other day and I was wired all day! Too much methyl in one dose for this COMT++. I am now looking at Life Extension's NAD+ and combining it with resveratrol and fat in the diet.
I tried Resveracel for a couple of months, but also the methylation supplements recommended by Chris Masterjohn in his Choline Database at https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/blog/201 ... -database/, because he recommended taking half as much TMG as NM and Resveracel didn't have that much. The word that comes to mind when I try to describe how I felt is "jangly". Crankier than usual and had a hard time staying focused.

I just started taking 300mg Tru Niagen twice per day, and 1G resveratrol, plus 500 TMG and 300 mg Alpha GPC, along with 100 mg Riboflavin once per day. It's too soon to say how this is working out. My dad, age 86, is doing 300 mg Tru Niagen and 1G resveratrol. He has had very low energy when exercising for the past several years, but on this regimen he has improved performance on his daily walk (he measures mph). Mom, aged 85, hasn't noticed any changes.