Success or no success with ReCODE Protocol?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
RoperEH1
Contributor
Contributor

Success or no success with ReCODE Protocol?

Post by RoperEH1 »

Hi folks! I'm new to this forum and would love to hear stories about your experience with the ReCODE protocol. My grandpa recently passed away from vascular dementia, and I am on a quest to better understand the treatments available for dementia today. Feel free to add to this forum or privately message me.
PJD@4411
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Success or no success with ReCODE Protocol?

Post by PJD@4411 »

RoperEH1 wrote:Hi folks! I'm new to this forum and would love to hear stories about your experience with the ReCODE protocol. My grandpa recently passed away from vascular dementia, and I am on a quest to better understand the treatments available for dementia today. Feel free to add to this forum or privately message me.
Hello RoperEH1 and welcome to the forum! We are very sorry for your loss and to hear about how your grandpa suffered from dementia. We are so happy you have joined this supportive community and we would love to learn more about you. It sounds like you want to connect with others to get a better understanding about the RECODE protocols.

Intorducing yourself is a great way to get started, it allows you to connect with others that are familiar with the RECODE protocols.

There is also an abundance of information on the Welcome, Primer, and Wikki pages.

I do not personally have information regarding costs and subscriptions but it looks as though others have already engaged with this conversation and have sent you a response. The How to Get the Most Out of APOE website shows how to subscribe and follow different threads that you may be interested in such as the RECODE experiences.

Again, welcome to the forum! Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns.
PJ
Think Positive Be Positive
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Welcome Roper. Not everyone here is on the ReCode Protocol and many of us aren't treating dementia, just trying to maximize our health situation within the constraints that our communal ApoE4 allele presents. But there have been discussions on various recommendations and treatments. If you use the search function (upper left hand box) there are 778 matches for the term "Recode" search.php?keywords=Recode&terms=all&au ... mit=Search
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hi there! I'm currently reaching out to members of this forum who have had personal experiences with the ReCODE protocol and was wondering if you would be willing to continue this discourse. I would love to hear about your whole experience if you would be willing to privately message me or contact me at my gmail account erope468@gmail.com. I am an undergraduate student conducting independent research on the recode protocol. Thanks!
I'm a little confused as to your motivations and what exactly you're looking for, my friend. Doing research, family history, just curious? Perhaps you could help us connect the dots to best help. Are you trying to get information about Dr. Bredesen's approach (which many of us use without ReCODE) or information about his company? Our Community Guidelines encourage honest, above board discussion. We look forward to your participation in the community.
RoperEH1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RoperEH1 »

Julie G wrote:
Hi there! I'm currently reaching out to members of this forum who have had personal experiences with the ReCODE protocol and was wondering if you would be willing to continue this discourse. I would love to hear about your whole experience if you would be willing to privately message me or contact me at my gmail account erope468@gmail.com. I am an undergraduate student conducting independent research on the recode protocol. Thanks!
I'm a little confused as to your motivations and what exactly you're looking for, my friend. Doing research, family history, just curious? Perhaps you could help us connect the dots to best help. Are you trying to get information about Dr. Bredesen's approach (which many of us use without ReCODE) or information about his company? Our Community Guidelines encourage honest, above board discussion. We look forward to your participation in the community.
I have both a personal and professional interest in the ReCODE protocol. I stumbled upon the protocol when I read an excerpt from "The End of Alzheimers" and wanted to learn more because my grandpa passed away less than a year ago, and I was his primary caregiver over a summer. I didn't have the time to pursue this research on my own, so I developed an independent study for academic credit. I am especially interested in this protocol because I have read viewpoints from both sides. My interest lies in hearing about individual experiences with the protocol now that I better understand the science behind it. The potential of this protocol appeals to me because I or family members may be at risk for the development of Alzheimer's. The biggest question I want answered is "Is this protocol successful enough that it would be a feasible treatment option for me or a family member in the future?" I posted my initial comment because I was unsure where to ask questions. I look forward to engaging in honest, constructive conversations with members of this community :)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

My interest lies in hearing about individual experiences with the protocol now that I better understand the science behind it. The potential of this protocol appeals to me because I or family members may be at risk for the development of Alzheimer's. The biggest question I want answered is "Is this protocol successful enough that it would be a feasible treatment option for me or a family member in the future?"
In a world where no other options exist, it's been "successful enough" for me. ;) I'm an apoE4 homozygote who was experiencing symptoms of cognitive decline about seven years ago. I essentially put my own version of the Bredesen protocol together, and have reversed my cognitive decline, and am still going strong. This isn't a quick fix, but rather a lifelong optimization journey. I share a little bit of my story in this recent interview. We have lots of other success stories on the site. Hopefully a few others will chime in.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

RoperEH1 wrote: I have both a personal and professional interest in the ReCODE protocol... I didn't have the time to pursue this research on my own, so I developed an independent study for academic credit...The biggest question I want answered is "Is this protocol successful enough that it would be a feasible treatment option for me or a family member in the future?"
Hi RoperEH1,

Sounds like an interesting independent study project! If I were your instructor for this course, I'd want to have some discussion with you of how to define "success" and and also "feasibility" for you or your family member. Having a "biggest" question almost always has to be answered with "it depends". That's why it helps to keep narrowing your "question" until you have a thesis statement that can be supported or refuted by your research.

So you may want to look at the Re-CODE protocol as being one model of how to provide people with a flexible protocol based on their specific history and blood work and pose the question of who would be the audience for that: Would it be people who want to have a report to refer back to and a set list of supplements or recommendations? Would it be people who already have had a family member with dementia and are very worried about it, or would it more likely be people who are healthy and trust that they can handle all the recommendation in either ReCODE or Dr. Bredesen's book? Would people who live near a big city or an area with a functional medicine doctor be more likely to use the program by themselves, or would people who live in rural areas be doing the program themselves and ordering supplements online? How about people who have a pessimistic or fatalistic attitude towards their future health, or who have a great relationship with a doctor who doesn't recommend any testing? Even in your own family, I bet you can think of lots of variables along these lines that could affect your relative's interest in this.

And how would you define success, especially for someone your age? Would you have to wait 50 years and see how healthy you are? Would you judge based on how healthy other people felt on this? Would your goal be to manage areas that Dr. Bredesen and others see as precursors or risk factors, like high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, lack of sleep, exposure to toxins, pollution and mold? Or would success be getting more physically fit, or having social and occupational challenges that are linked to brain health?

Even when clinical studies are designed with people who are considered "high risk" for change within the next 5-8 years (people ages 60-75 with ApoE 4/4, or those with amyloid on PET scans), it takes thousands of people and years of data to find statistically significant changes that might suggest what are the pathways that are predictive of Alzheimer's disease. I think the figure is that about 30% of people over the age of 85 who test at cognitively healthy within 6-12 months before their death show significant signs of amyloid plaques and tau tangles in their brains on autopsy, so even defining what "preventing Alzheimer's" means is tricky.

You can find an article online that Dr. Bredesen did in 2018, I think, about 100 patients on the REcode protocol at various ages and levels of functioning pre-intervention. I would recommend also talking with your college's library staff about how to use their resources for a PUBMED search or other "literature searches" on "Alzheiemer's prevention programs".

Take it from someone who taught grad level education courses: showing the ability to find articles in Google Scholar or through an institutional research site (they pay the fee for you to see the whole article) impresses professors. It may be helpful to use in-person interviews with people of various ages, and look at the breadth of programs that are listed in this forum and elsewhere on Alzheimer's prevention. And, if you read some research articles, you will find that they almost always end with a section titled "Limitations" in which the author acknowledges what others might critique (a small sample size; a lack of data about a particular question, an analysis confined to the U.S. instead of including, for example, the FINGER study of prevention in FInland, etc.) No project is perfect; this is a section where you can say "Clearly, more research is needed in ....."

Hope this helps. Your grandpa would be proud of you for your interest and must have cherished the summer you spent with him.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

RoperEH1,

As NF52 notes, a hallmark of Bredesen's protocol is to address deficits that a person may have as well as possible. He uses the tagline "36 holes in the roof>" You want to fix the ones you have. He's more lately said there are 150+ potential "holes." In this post, I've linked a number of Bredesen interviews (scroll down a bit). The STEMTALK on is good for a background on the concept. I think that understanding this concept is key to understanding Bredesen's methodology. He's done a number of other interviews, but the ones I have linked in my linked posta above are a good start.

Another place you can go to get stories is from this closed FaceBook group: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... SEARCH_BOX
Tincup
E3,E4