help! Dr Gundry's book raises serious questions

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

help! Dr Gundry's book raises serious questions

Post by Stavia »

ok, I am really really trying to find a way forward here with an open mind. I am about to embark on my second HFLC ketogenic trial, this time with lower percentage of carbs after Julie kindly pointed out my arithmetic error (thanks honey <3)
I got Dr Gundry's book out of the library. Doing my homework.
I can't submit photos of pages 136 and 136 as I don't know how to make the files smaller. I can email photos if anyone wants. Here it is verbatim:

The bad news for high fat dieters is that only a diet comprising 15% fat (not 5% and not 30%) and the rest as protein and carbohydrates completely prevents the rise of ghrelin in humans (6). This finding agrees with those found in the registry of long term successful dieters (those who have kept weight off for more than three years). Almost all of these folks, including me, transitioned to a relatively low-fat diet, regardless of their initial weight-loss strategy". (no reference for the last statement)

here is the paper
Roles of Leptin and Ghrelin in the Loss of Body Weight.pdf
ok so this was "truth" then and is now "wrong"? how can we find a way forward with interpretations flip-flopping backwards and forwards?
I cant take this much longer, its really really doing my head in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: help! Dr Gundry's book raises serious questions

Post by Julie G »

(((Stavia))) Having never read the book, I had no idea that he'd done such a dramatic about-face. I first learned about him on the HeartLifeTalk forum. One of his patients there recommended against buying the book because some of his ideas had changed. Going from low fat...to ketogenic. Yep, that's a change ;) Wow. Maybe George can shed some light here.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

The book is a number of years old. Gundry obviously tests and monitors his patients (and himself). He adjusts and goes forward based upon what he observes and learns. I know he has written a new book and is editing it and looking for a publisher. His most recent recommendations are posted here https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... t=50#p5592 What he accepts and rejects for food has changed over time. He also talks about these recommendations on the podcasts that have been linked. My take on how he eats is basically his phase 3 diet with a lot of unfiltered EVOO for fat. He has also said he eats 1x/day during Jan-May (or some date range like that), so IF is part of his plan. In a podcast, he said he originally had a whole lot written about IF but the publisher made him cut it back to a page or two. When you look at his published research, he is all about getting a lot of polyphenols into the diet. In a way, his phase 3 is a lot like Terry Wahls' Wahls Paleo Plus plan (which is her 3rd phase).

His protein portions are modest (4 oz). It is not a "callorically dense" diet. His first phase is more traditional LCHF and he seems like he's trying to help people who are overweight get rid of it. Then he transitions to more plant based, while still having some meat protein.

Remember his background as an evolutionary biologist.

Hope this helps.
Tincup
E3,E4
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Yep - I simply didn't buy his first book when he mentioned in one of the podcasts that the editors had pushed him to reshape some of his basics to suit their perception of the market.
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.