Lithium for AD prevention?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
frankiesfriend
Contributor
Contributor

Lithium for AD prevention?

Post by frankiesfriend »

A new review paper in the Journal of Neurodegenerative Diseases recounts the familiar lifestyle recommendations of healthy diet, lower stress, exercise and sleep for lowering the risk of developing Alzheimer's, as well as treating early symptoms. Additionally, the authors cite lithium deficiency as a risk factor that can be addressed through supplementation. So I am curious if anyone in the community is familiar with this issue, and welcome your thoughts.

Neurodegener Dis. 2019 Oct 10:1-18. [Epub ahead of print]
Poor Diet, Stress, and Inactivity Converge to Form a "Perfect Storm" That Drives Alzheimer's Disease Pathogenesis.
Pacholko AG1, Wotton CA1, Bekar LK2.
E3/E4, My mother was diagnosed with AD at age 73, my age on my next birthday.
gmt67comcast
New User
New User

Re: Lithium for AD prevention?

Post by gmt67comcast »

Hi- I am new to this site, and I am physician currently in a fellowship program for Integrative Psychiatry with James Greenblatt, Md (Psychiatry Redefined). His book titled: Nutritional Lithium, the Cinderella Story is a really informative reference on this topic.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Yes, I have heard of lithium as a being a helpful supplement for AD prevention. I've tried taking it, but I need to start with very small amounts. I was recommended to stick a toothpick into a capsule of lithium orotate and blend it with water. Many will have no problem supplementing in doses of 3-5 mg of orotate. You can get the capsules from Seeking Health and Holistic Health and elsewhere. The only problem with supplementation is that it can affect your thyroid and I already have an underactive thyroid.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
emmabarton
Contributor
Contributor

Post by emmabarton »

gmt67comcast wrote:Hi- I am new to this site, and I am physician currently in a fellowship program for Integrative Psychiatry with James Greenblatt, Md (Psychiatry Redefined). His book titled: Nutritional Lithium, the Cinderella Story is a really informative reference on this topic.
Hi gmt67comcast!
Welcome to the site-- and thank you for your recommendation (and for all the important work you are doing). I too work in mental health and am familiar with Dr. Greenblatt's work with people experiencing eating disorders (via Walden Behavioral Health). Since you're new to the site, I'm not sure you had the chance to check out the wiki page and the primer, written by a physician from our community. Feel free to let us know if you have any questions or need any support finding information.
Thanks for contributing!
With gratitude,

Emma
healing happens in relationship
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Here's an older thread discussing lithium for AD that you might find of interest. I used the search function to find this.
Slacker
E4/E4