Milk alternatives?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
bexnews
Contributor
Contributor

Milk alternatives?

Post by bexnews »

Is walnut milk the best non-dairy alternative to animal fat milk, other than hemp milk for apoe4s? I am not a fan of the hemp milk taste of commercial hemp milks, and it is expensive to make. I found a nice walnut milk, with few additives, that can be purchased online and my understanding is it has a good content of Omega 3s. I assume its better than almond and certainly coconut milk which is a question mark.
Hboroughs
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Milk alternatives?

Post by Hboroughs »

I have never tried (or seen in a store) walnut milk. I sometimes use Malk which has only sprouted organic almonds, water, and Himalayan salt as ingredients. The sprouting minimizes lectins. I don’t use it often, mostly when making cappuccinos at home. I believe walnuts have a healthier fat profile (less Omega-6, more Omega-3) than almonds so theoretically it sounds better if you can find it sprouted and organic.
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

Hemp milk is pretty easy and inexpensive to make. I buy hemp seed in bulk on amazon, 2lbs for $18. It’s 1/2 cup of hemp seed to 4 cups warm water in a blender, blend and strain. It comes out to be about $1.50/quart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APOE4/4
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

Walnut milk is similar: 1 cup of raw walnuts, soaked, then blended with 4 cups of warm water. Strain in a fine mesh bag.

I’ll add that I save the pulp I get from making these milks, and freeze them. Then when I have enough I put them in fine mesh bags in a dehydrator to make my own flour. It’s quick to make both milk and flour, and helps me save $$ so I can afford all my supplements. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APOE4/4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

There's also flaxmilk, which has 1200 mg omega 3s and 30% calcium.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR