Carbohydrates and Longevity

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Andru
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Carbohydrates and Longevity

Post by Andru »

Different people handle carbs differently, and there are many other genes that are more influencial for this than APOE4.

I'm surprised so many people think that a single gene should dictate their entire diet.

In general, carbs are great fuel for a healthy and active lifestyle.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Andru wrote:Different people handle carbs differently, and there are many other genes that are more influencial for this than APOE4.

I'm surprised so many people think that a single gene should dictate their entire diet.

In general, carbs are great fuel for a healthy and active lifestyle.
So I agree that different people handle carbs differently, but I personally believe E3 is a response to higher carbs in the diet of early man. I think E4s have less ability to clear the oxidizing effects of breaking down glucose in the cell's protoplasm to get to a point where it can be used by the cell's mitochondria. Ketones are able to get into the mitochondria with far less oxygen. It is like choosing between creating our electricity from cheap, abundant coal, or by using non-polluting solar power. Research has shown that E4's are better able to utilize ketones in the brain than E3s, but less able to metabolize and use glucose. In this forum, I would not go around saying that carbs are great fuel... Someone who is 3/3 or 2/3 and has a good lifestyle and does not have any metabolic issues, is probably free to eat carbs, but anyone else on this forum will likely want to cut back, depending. How much and what type of carbs someone can consume will vary greatly, but best to be aware and test sugars and get your insulin resistance tested.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Andru
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Andru »

mike wrote: So I agree that different people handle carbs differently, but I personally believe E3 is a response to higher carbs in the diet of early man.
Other apes have E4. If anything, prevalence of E3 is a response to increased fat-rich meat consumption, thus requiring a more efficient means of shuttling cholesterol. We could debate evolutionary history forever, as it is all speculative.
mike wrote: Research has shown that E4's are better able to utilize ketones in the brain than E3s, but less able to metabolize and use glucose.
I've read Reiman's 2002 study, but it doesn't say anything about carbs being bad for you. It also doesn't say what caused the observed decrease metabolic rate of glucose in the brain (which was only seen on average in E4s). Perhaps E4s, being more sensitive to other lifestyle factors, are more likely to mess up their metabolic systems. While interesting, this is not a reason to avoid carbs.
mike wrote: In this forum, I would not go around saying that carbs are great fuel...
That's exactly what this forum needs - a change of view. People come on here and follow narrow-minded advice regarding carbs, and stress about overly strict dietary guidelines and maintaining ketosis when they could be eating carbs that give them good energy to live an active and healthy life.
mike wrote: How much and what type of carbs someone can consume will vary greatly, but best to be aware and test sugars and get your insulin resistance tested.
I agree, it's useful to get tested to see how your lifestyle influences your biomarkers, since it will be different for everyone, but this is mostly useless in the absence of medical conditions.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Andru wrote: We could debate evolutionary history forever, as it is all speculative.
There is quite a bit of recent evidence, so not just speculative.
I've read Reiman's 2002 study
I was referring to this 7/2018 article https://www.jneurosci.org/content/38/30/6665
People come on here and follow narrow-minded advice regarding carbs
How was what I said narrow minded!? I said it is a very individual thing, and depends on a lot of factors.
I agree, it's useful to get tested to see how your lifestyle influences your biomarkers, since it will be different for everyone, but this is mostly useless in the absence of medical conditions.
Getting your insulin resistance tested will give you advanced warning of metabolic problems. Your blood sugar levels can be fine way beyond when you start to become IR. Some tests are useful, if you have high risk of developing AD, even before symptoms. I'm a 4/4, and no matter how you slice it, I am at high risk.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Andru
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Andru »

mike wrote: I was referring to this 7/2018 article https://www.jneurosci.org/content/38/30/6665
It's a similar conclusion to the 2002 study, we've known different APOE genotypes metabolize glucose differently, but there are no conclusions stating that glucose is bad for APOE4. In fact, low GI carbs seem to be beneficial, at least compared to SFA (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30336580). Definitely not harmful, like many people on here think.

mike wrote: How was what I said narrow minded!? I said it is a very individual thing, and depends on a lot of factors.
You didn't say anything narrow-minded, but the collective trend of this forum is geared toward a narrow low-carb path thanks to the 2 doctors that are mainly followed here.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

It's a similar conclusion to the 2002 study, we've known different APOE genotypes metabolize glucose differently, but there are no conclusions stating that glucose is bad for APOE4. In fact, low GI carbs seem to be beneficial, at least compared to SFA (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30336580). Definitely not harmful, like many people on here think.
FWIW, I completely agree that there's nothing wrong with low GI carbs. They comprise the majority of my plate. :D With almost 3.000 members, I would guess that we have more variety in our dietary paths than you suspect. Andru, you are very welcome to share your perspective, but I ask that you do so in compliance with our community guidelines.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Andru wrote:It's a similar conclusion to the 2002 study, we've known different APOE genotypes metabolize glucose differently, but there are no conclusions stating that glucose is bad for APOE4. In fact, low GI carbs seem to be beneficial, at least compared to SFA (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30336580). Definitely not harmful, like many people on here think.
And then you can get into the argument about the actual importance of lowering cholesterol... As I've said, for some, carbs are fine. I would stay away from sugar and fructose for most everyone, and only suggest limiting other carbs if someone is metabolically impaired. I personally follow a low carb (<30 gr / day) because I'm a long time diabetic and would rather not use drugs to bring down my sugars. Keeping my carbs down keeps my blood sugar from spiking. I prefer to keep my blood sugar within a smaller range, even if it is higher than optimal. Glucose flows freely into the brain (without need of insulin) only controlled by the number of GLUT1 transporters, which do not change short-term. If your blood sugars are fluctuating wildly, then it is also fluctuating wildly in the brain, which is not good. If you use drugs to lower your blood glucose, then you are lowering even further in the brain, which I also do not think is great for neuron health. If someone is metabolically whole and they can maintain their blood sugars, then they can eat carbs. If their Insulin Resistance is bad and they are still maintaining blood glucose, then they are getting close to trouble, and I would recommend cutting carbs, starting with the high glycemic ones and working towards the lower glycemic ones if needed to bring IR into line. Once in line, then you can introduce carbs back in and see how you respond.
Sonoma Mike
4/4