Carbohydrates and Longevity

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
antimatter37
Contributor
Contributor

Carbohydrates and Longevity

Post by antimatter37 »

With the top risk factor for AD being age, longevity research, or research on how to simply live longer, seems very interesting to me. Here is an article on lifestyle factors affecting longevity in "blue zones", where people may live to over 100 years and do not develop dementia at a high rate.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/ ... blue-zones

Note the statement on consuming large amounts of whole grain carbohydrates. This seems to go against the current trend of limiting carbs of all types. It wouldn't be the first time the "general consensus" was wrong. There are currently large-scale clinical studies of the Mediterranean diet and the DASH diet and their long-term effect on development of AD. Both of these diets contain potentially large amounts of whole grain carbs among many other things such as EVOO. Some of these trial results will be out in a few years and may shed some light on the interplay with diet, longevity and AD.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Carbohydrates and Longevity

Post by Plumster »

Yes, whole grains are great, provided you are not on the keto diet. Whole grains help with insulin sensitivity. Here's a recent study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30016529
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

antimatter37 wrote:There are currently large-scale clinical studies of the Mediterranean diet and the DASH diet and their long-term effect on development of AD. Both of these diets contain potentially large amounts of whole grain carbs among many other things such as EVOO. Some of these trial results will be out in a few years and may shed some light on the interplay with diet, longevity and AD.
I wonder if you can provide links to these for us. I also think the research on these more 'conventional' diets is important to us. These and past such studies should be covered in our Wiki if they're not yet. MIND, FINGER and PREDIMED come to mind.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
antimatter37
Contributor
Contributor

Post by antimatter37 »

Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

These and past such studies should be covered in our Wiki if they're not yet. MIND, FINGER and PREDIMED come to mind.
Circular,

I absolutely agree! We need to speak of the Mediterranean diet. Our Wiki also states that whole grains are to be avoided.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Plumster wrote:
These and past such studies should be covered in our Wiki if they're not yet. MIND, FINGER and PREDIMED come to mind.
Circular,

I absolutely agree! We need to speak of the Mediterranean diet. Our Wiki also states that whole grains are to be avoided.
I personally do avoid them and am very lectin sensitive, but, ideally, I think the Wiki should prevent [I mean present :D ] the best available evidence for and against all approaches, and it would help to systematically note by every study title the sample size, type of research and populations included. We could implement a star rating for papers similar to what some websites use (maybe, or are those too contrived for all the variables involved?). This would best serve the variety of orientations and individual needs among ApoE4 carriers.

That’s not a criticism of all the good work people have contributed, but rather a thought for how we might improve the utility of the Wiki over time.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Note the statement on consuming large amounts of whole grain carbohydrates. This seems to go against the current trend of limiting carbs of all types. It wouldn't be the first time the "general consensus" was wrong. There are currently large-scale clinical studies of the Mediterranean diet and the DASH diet and their long-term effect on development of AD. Both of these diets contain potentially large amounts of whole grain carbs among many other things such as EVOO. Some of these trial results will be out in a few years and may shed some light on the interplay with diet, longevity and AD.
Remember that grains have only been around for 10,000 years leading me to suspect they may not be a good fit for our ancestral genotype. Indeed, ApoE4 carriers are very poorly represented among centenarians in Blue Zones. Strategies that work for non-ApoE4 carriers, don't appear to work for us. I suspect that a diet heavy in non-grain plants may better align with our genetics and may point to an alternative strategy for us.
Plumster, help me. I can't find this. I see an article on the benefits of ketosis for our genotype. is that what you're referring to? That's very different than mandating "grains are to be avoided." Remember that our wiki is open for ALL to edit. If you would like to put together a (referenced) article that highlights the benefits of grains for ApoE4 carriers, we would welcome your contribution.
We could implement a star rating for papers similar to what some websites use (maybe, or are those too contrived for all the variables involved?). This would best serve the variety of orientations and individual needs among ApoE4 carriers.
It sounds like you're suggesting a new article focusing on multiple dietary paths for E4 carriers. I like it... and look forward to new wiki contributions. :D
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Plumster, help me. I can't find this. I see an article on the benefits of ketosis for our genotype. is that what you're referring to? That's very different than mandating "grains are to be avoided." Remember that our wiki is open for ALL to edit. If you would like to put together a (referenced) article that highlights the benefits of grains for ApoE4 carriers, we would welcome your contribution.
Thanks, I don't believe it was in the ketosis section because I wouldn't take issue with it there. I'll find it and write a separate part on whole grains with the study listed above and perhaps others--when I find time.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Plumster wrote:
Thanks, I don't believe it was in the ketosis section because I wouldn't take issue with it there. I'll find it and write a separate part on whole grains with the study listed above and perhaps others--when I find time.
I don’t decide these things, but it might be good to note throughout the wiki when a paper specifically address e4, maybe just by adding [E4] to the right of it? I like a system something like: ‘Paper Title [E4/no E4, n=5,432, RDBC/DBCO/FQ ..., Europeans/Multi/Japanese ...]’ with a legend somewhere in the Wiki.

Just a suggestion. I made a similar one once for forum postings but it didn’t get any traction.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Yes, for sure, Circular.