How do you put on weight?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

How do you put on weight?

Post by Richard McG »

Following Dr. Bredsen as best I can......any ideas on how to limit weight loss? What are some healthy ways to increase weight in between meals? How many nuts can I eat a day safely you think? Any other snack like food that would put on some calories :)

All the best friends.

4/4
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: How do you put on weight?

Post by BrianR »

I found that I needed to eat more protein and carbs than some recommend in order to maintain my weight. It seems to me that most of the AD diet recommendations are not targeted towards those who are thin.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Some things to consider, according to Longo--in addition to nuts--might be dark chocolate, more fruit, eggs, fish and seafood.

I'm not going to worry about being too thin until I'm 65. Research shows that low BMI is healthy before age 65, after which it's better to gain some weight, according to longevity studies (my source here is Valter Longo's Longevity book).
Last edited by Plumster on Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

I agree with BrianR, as I was in your boat. Don't restrict calories, eat more good proteins (fish, chicken, nuts, etc.). Add some resistant starches like Basmati rice (soak for 30 min. in water before you cook to remove starch, cool and reheat), sweet potato's (Cook/Cool/Reheat). In addition I've also added some healthy carbs back in on occasion to sustain my weight, I don't do it everyday but I found I need them in order to stay at a healthy BMI (you can only eat so much!!). We all have to adjust in order to make this work for ourselves.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Macadamia nuts have good fat/carb ratio, so is a great snack for putting on weight. If you are okay with dairy, then Whisps, made from either Parmesan or cheddar cheese also have a good ratio, and are quite addicting. Both can be found at Costco or online.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Andru
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Andru »

If you're strictly following Bredesen and want to gain weight, the only options are to eat more nuts, avocados, olives, etc. Whole foods plant based fats.

Otherwise, you could just add grains and tubers. No harm in carbs unless you have a medical condition that prohibits them.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

If you're strictly following Bredesen and want to gain weight, the only options are to eat more nuts, avocados, olives, etc. Whole foods plant based fats.
Healthy fats are a good starting place. Dr. Bredesen also recommends resistant starches (like legumes, tubers, and more) for those who are insulin sensitive and can tolerate them. Those with IR and Type-3 AD (because of the amylase) may have to tread cautiously until some healing has occurred. In the new book, we take a deep dive into nutrition. It's probably 1/3 or more of the book and really helps flesh out KetoFLEX 12/3.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Julie G wrote: In the new book, we take a deep dive into nutrition. It's probably 1/3 or more of the book and really helps flesh out KetoFLEX 12/3.
Julie, when does it come out!?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Summer 2020