Possible root canal needed... Advice, please!

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Possible root canal needed... Advice, please!

Post by Julie G »

Jnanney44, If you read the entire thread, I dodged the bullet. After many X-rays, my dentist never saw a clinical need for a root canal, but I did adopt the practice of coconut oil pulling to address any simmering infection. It really made a difference. I'm not as vigilant about doing it as I was during that period, but anytime I feel a twinge, I aggressively start up again. I also see my dentist twice a year and do quarterly cleanings; so important for our genotype. I feel for you and am unsure of what I would do in your shoes. It really depends upon where the tooth is and the state of the teeth near it. I would be very tempted to have an extraction and have a bridge put it. Archaic compared to implant technology, but MAYBE safest for those of us with 2 copies of the pro-inflammatory allele... We just don't know.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

J, does your dentist see an abscess at the root of the tooth on the X-rays? In my case, the root actually fractures (but unlikely at your young age), so that leads to tooth loss, so it's important to not bother with the root canal, but sometimes can only be seen on better digital (minimal radiation) x-rays. A second dental opinion might be worthwhile.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Hi Julie,
I confess to not having read the links you, Tincup and Russ attached; this is offered only as anecdotal experience from a fellow "worst pain ever" tooth sufferer. Has your dentist, or an endodontist, ruled out an abscess? About 3 years ago, some long-term minor pain I had assumed was swollen gums turned very ugly, very fast in a molar with a long-term crown, with very little tooth under it. Turned out I had two abscesses deep in two of the 4 roots of the molar. Apparently having a crown doesn't mean you can't develop an abscess below the crown, given that the gum line is often cut during the crown installation, or later, if the gum line recedes.

I would encourage anyone having extensive root canal work to insist on an antibiotic afterwards; I developed cellulitis which resolved only with long-term high doses of clindamyacin. The blame for that goes to the endodontist, who assured me that "99% of the time no infection occurs". My own dentist's hygienist pointed out that my root was dangerously close to my sinus cavity, and hence an infection was not only possible, but dangerous.

Hope your tooth fairy is looking out for you (and your neurologist) and there's a happy ending to this story!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Jnanney44
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jnanney44 »

Thank you so the responses! I’m definitley getting a second opinion because the pain only occurs when I bite in certain areas. I’ve been oil pulling every day since I got the news as well!
APOe4/4
MTHFR C677T Homozygous
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

We have another thread with, I think, ‘dental’ in the title that you might want to read.

I had a root canal this last fall and now have intermittent and very similar sensitivity in a nearby area. On top of that I’m being treated for my 4th and 5th sinus infections uncovered by sequential nasal cultures during my CIRS treatment, so naturally worries there’s some connection. My CIRS doctor is having me get a dental CT scan from a local integrative dentist, because, she said, it can be hard to eradicate sinus infections if they also hanging out in the dental spaces. That’s tomorrow. Apparently integrative dentists, or biological dentists, are using 3D CT scans to find infections (and other issues?) that aren’t found on X-rays. Once found, they sometimes use ozone to treat the infection (with appropriate inhalation mitigations). They can sometimes use ozone instead of doing a root canal. This doesn’t seem to be established dentistry, but clearly the doctors using these newer approaches feel they are useful and preferable in certain scenarios. The same dentist also does some sort of blood work to see what dental materials her patients are compatible with to guide procedures. I’m really intrigued by all this and will hopefully know more by the end of tomorrow.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Good luck, circular. I hope you get to the root of your tooth sensitivity (we have to find humor where we can).

I hope you don't have any dental infections. Greg at Biotoxin Journey (CIRS-WDB) had a lot of dental issues, and MARCoNS ended up being a factor in his case.

I have never had a root canal. Fingers crossed, I hope I never need to. But it seems like if we live long enough, the need for a root canal (or an alternative) seems inevitable.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Cir, I have been using this product with less sensitivity and "amazing" (per my dental hygienist) stain removal. Since I stopped mouth wash and fluoride toothpaste (Thanks to Theresa), I think my normal mouth flora has returned. This product has charcoal which I would like to believe might detox all that dental work leakage (?).

Brain, having crowns manipulates the tooth, setting up the scenario for root canals ; so unless your mouth is full of crowns, I wouldn't worry about inevitably having root canals.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Thanks, Katie. I have one crown in the upper front. I'll change my mind and not worry about inevitably needing any root canals. :)
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

KatieS wrote:Cir, I have been using this product with less sensitivity and "amazing" (per my dental hygienist) stain removal. Since I stopped mouth wash and fluoride toothpaste (Thanks to Theresa), I think my normal mouth flora has returned. This product has charcoal which I would like to believe might detox all that dental work leakage (?).

Brain, having crowns manipulates the tooth, setting up the scenario for root canals ; so unless your mouth is full of crowns, I wouldn't worry about inevitably having root canals.
Thanks Katie, I haven’t seen that one. Unfortunately clay toothpastes stain my teeth brown, while charcoal is too abrasive for my healthy but fragile gums.

Interesting about crowns predisposing to root canals - never heard that!

I have to wait two weeks for the CT scan results. The dentist has a radiologist look at it too, but there’s also just a scheduling delay. The dentist is certain there’s a connection between my nasal infections and the dental areas. She gave me an article to read but I don’t have it with me ... will post later.

I only have one small visable mercury filling. I’m not sure it’s worth the cost of removal when I have quite a few crowns, and she said there could be more mercury in those. But that’s another topic.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

My dentist states that I do not have mercury despite crowns, implants and composite fillings. He added that Scandinavia outlawed mercury amalgams years ago. Wouldn’t it be interesting if they could correlate this PH intervention with AD?