Possible root canal needed... Advice, please!

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Possible root canal needed... Advice, please!

Post by Julie G »

Argh!!! I hate being an ApoE4/4- especially a female, with other risky genes. The most mundane things can feel potentially life threatening. I'd appreciate any advice; first some quick background:

Remember this recent thread, started by Pal? It opened up my eyes to the possibility that dental disease/procedures could possibly serve as conduits for bacteria and increase our AD/CAD risk. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=633&hilit=Root+canals

Well, it's hitting home for me. Back around Thanksgiving, I had a large filling replaced in a molar. (The old one was cracked.) I experienced some pretty severe pain afterwards leading my dentist to think I needed a root canal. Apparently, I didn't. The filling had been done incorrectly. I ended up taking 3 rounds of antibiotics (!!!) and some pain pills to get through that. The filling was redone and the tooth was crowned. I thought all was well...until now. I'm starting to get some pain back in that same molar and some cold sensitivity. Looks like I may need a root canal after all :?

I'm concerned after all that I read. I've found more from Weston Price & the Mayo clinic:
http://www.westonaprice.org/holistic-he ... l-dangers/
Some practitioner, who agrees:
http://dentaldna.us/

I'm trying to figure out if the threat is real. If so, what do I do? Dr. Huggins (from the original thread) suggests the only safe thing to do is extract the tooth. It's my second molar. I need it to chew. And, from what I've read, leaving the space empty causes displacement of other teeth, bone loss, etc. Huggins contends that dental implants are just as dangerous. I found this wholistic dental practitioner in Chicago, not too far from me. Does his plan sound reasonable?
http://chicagodentalhealth.com/root-canal-treatment/

I've got an email into Dr. Perlmutter to hear if he thinks this threat is real & to see what he advises. In the meantime, I'd appreciate any advice? Has anyone else been down this road?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Possible root canal needed... Advice, please!

Post by Tincup »

Maybe it could be regrown http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_ins ... asers.html

For what its worth, I had a root canal at around age 15. The tooth was dead from a fist to my face. I'm 59 and have not had any problem with it.
Tincup
E3,E4
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Maybe you can go for a replacement tooth that they make now, called implants?" Expensive but there will not be a root. I hope they get that laser growing teeth worked out and fairly cheap as I would jump on that band wagon, but I may look weird with the teeth of a 12 year old in a 60 year old face?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

An implant is the EASY answer; but Dr. Hal Huggins (and others) contend that they're just as bad as root canals :? What.to.do?
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

How about getting a bridge?
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

I would think you already thought of it, but why not try Weston Price's magic formula of fermented cod liver oil with butter oil?

http://www.examiner.com/article/can-fer ... ooth-decay
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Interesting ideas, All. Thanks for weighing in. This is my first foray into creative dentistry...I'm lost here. I'll let you know what Dr. Perlmutter recommends in case another high risk member (like me) is faced with a possible root canal.

WA, you will like this. I took 2,000mg of garlic gel caps; the mild pain/cold sensitivity is GONE :D Nature's antibiotic. I'm going to keep on taking 4,000mg a day for about a week as I'm sorting out my options...
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

I dont have any advice purely because I choose not to worry about that. Some of it seems like "quackery" to me anyway.

I have multiple root canals, an implant and I had a bridge that failed (bad decision), and now I have a failed filling that I need to go in and get taken care of as well.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Do the root canal, let it settle and see if your CRP has changed. If yes, consider a bridge. If not, stop worrying.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Stavia, I like your plan. E4s tend to have deflated CRP, but homocysteine and even a white count may be good markers to track. I'm a data girl. I need proof of some sort. Luckily, I'm not in intense pain. I just get an occasional nasty twinge when I bite wrong. I'm going to wait and see what my neurologist recommends before I proceed.

In the meantime, I may try oil pulling with coconut oil- a different antimicrobial delivery system :roll: Thanks everyone for your great ideas. I know it's just a tooth, but for us more vulnerable folks, it might matter- a lot.