Science based 'Genius Gym' app to promote simultaneous physical and cognitive challenge

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Science based 'Genius Gym' app to promote simultaneous physical and cognitive challenge

Post by circular »

Well at least you can sign up for the beta release at the Genius Gym website. I learned about this in an Evolving Past Alzheimer's podcast with the researcher behind the app, Sarah McEwen, PhD. (There's a link to the podcast on the Genius Gym page.) In the interview she says she expects the app to be unrolled late this year. Her research using functional MRI, blood markers and cognitive testing underlies that program. She's also looking for blood markers that correspond with improvements seen on functional MRI and in cognitive testing.

She's found that combining physical activity simultaneously with cognitive exercises yields better results than doing those things separately, and also better than physical activity followed by cognitive exercises.

Maybe everyone else knows this, but she says the research shows that, while exercise is not a silver bullet against Alzheimer's, the beneficial effects it does have require at least 30 minutes spent in the 60-80% heart rate zone.

She also says that while physical activity stimulates neurogenesis, it takes the cognitive exercises to maintain the new connections. It makes sense. Those new synapses need to get 'imprinted' with information well placed in as much context as possible, but I found it interesting that the new synapses might just die off without the cognitive training.

Presumably Dr. McEwen's work will help us know which physical activities and cognitive testing combined most helpful. She mentions needing to do compound movements, eg blending aerobic with functional strength training moves while being cognitively challenged (you can see an example of this in the video on the app website labeled 'Fit To Hit Episode 5 – Tennis Channel'. There's also an emphasis on varying the movements and cognitive stimuli while keeping it fun.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Science based 'Genius Gym' app to promote simultaneous physical and cognitive challenge

Post by donbob »

circular wrote:Well at least you can sign up for the beta release at the Genius Gym website. I learned about this in an Evolving Past Alzheimer's podcast with the researcher behind the app, Sarah McEwen, PhD. (There's a link to the podcast on the Genius Gym page.) In the interview she says she expects the app to be unrolled late this year. Her research using functional MRI, blood markers and cognitive testing underlies that program. She's also looking for blood markers that correspond with improvements seen on functional MRI and in cognitive testing.

She's found that combining physical activity simultaneously with cognitive exercises yields better results than doing those things separately, and also better than physical activity followed by...
Thanks for this post. I signed up for the beta release. Seems cognitive training while under heat stress may be beneficial. My heart rate goes to 80% of my theoretical max when I sauna. Can’t find published research on cognitive training and sauna.
DonBob
e3e4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Science based 'Genius Gym' app to promote simultaneous physical and cognitive challenge

Post by circular »

donbob wrote: Thanks for this post. I signed up for the beta release. Seems cognitive training while under heat stress may be beneficial. My heart rate goes to 80% of my theoretical max when I sauna. Can’t find published research on cognitive training and sauna.
That would be a good study. McEwen should work with the sauna researcher in Finland on that :)

I also wonder about physical exercise combined with meditation. It's not the same as stillness meditation, but one can be practice mindfulness meditation while exercising.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

circular wrote: I also wonder about physical exercise combined with meditation. It's not the same as stillness meditation, but one can be practice mindfulness meditation while exercising.
I recommend Tai Chi.
Tai Chi (or Qigong) is an excellent way to combine meditation and exercise. Tai Chi is often called "meditation in motion".
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health