Is anyone taking Metformin for longevity (or considering it)?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Is anyone taking Metformin for longevity (or considering it)?

Post by slacker »

Jmac wrote: I'm still going to ditch metformin for now as I'm exercising the 150 hours a week that Patrick touted from a study comparing metformin to exercise.
150 minutes/week? :oops:
Slacker
E4/E4
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

slacker wrote:150 minutes/week? :oops:
That's less than 30 minutes a day... I work out that much most days, although some is just fast walking on the treadmill. Sounded like a lot when I heard the number but then I multiplied 7 days by 30 minutes to get 210 & realized I coasted on this one :-)
SoccerMom
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SoccerMom »

Jmac wrote:
That's less than 30 minutes a day... I work out that much most days, although some is just fast walking on the treadmill. Sounded like a lot when I heard the number but then I multiplied 7 days by 30 minutes to get 210 & realized I coasted on this one :-)

I think he was questioning the 150 HOURS per week!
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

SoccerMom wrote:
Jmac wrote:
I think he was questioning the 150 HOURS per week!
Oh, geez...ha! Thanks, I definitely need to pay more attention when reading AND writing :-)
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

SoccerMom wrote: know Metformin has been used safely for decades, and considering asking my doctor about taking it for longevity/health. Is anyone doing this and did your doctor prescribe it?!
I've listened to a number of podcasts with David Sinclair where he addressed issues with Metformin. He stops it on days he is exercising, has talked about it saying not bad for working out, just not as big a muscle gain. Will try to remember to post links later.

I now have a Google alert set up on metformin so I can keep up with mentions in the world... This one popped up today:

Preventive and (Neo)Adjuvant Therapeutic Effects of Metformin on Cancer
Abstract
Metformin, the first-line antidiabetic drug, has become an attractive candidate in cancer therapy since retrospective clinical investigations reported that patients with type 2 diabetes receiving metformin had lower incidence of cancer than those with other glucose lowering drugs. In line with this, preclinical studies have demonstrated that the antitumor activity of metformin could proceed through several mechanisms. Thus far, metformin has been used in cancer prevention with reduced risk as consequence and treatment of various cancers as an adjuvant or neoadjuvant drug. Thus, existing data support the beneficial effects of metformin on many types of cancers such as reducing metastasis and mortality and improving pathological responses and survival rates. However, some reports do not support this and even show adverse effects. The discrepancy may be attributed to expression levels of its transporters or genetic background. Hence, this chapter briefly reviews information on the mechanism of metformin action and summarizes both completed and ongoing clinical trials in an attempt to evaluate the value of metformin in prevention and treatment of various cancer types.
https://www.intechopen.com/online-first ... -on-cancer
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vikingman »

If you are sedentary and/or diabetic then metformin seems to be a good choice. If you can exercise then it is probably better to exercise. I am wondering if metformin's effect on exercise is for both aerobic and anaerobic?
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vikingman »

By the way my Father starting taking it along with NMN and Resveratrol at age 78 and his life has been completely changed for the positive. He life is now an adventure and he is super social and has started to exercise daily. Super positive attitude. New love for music, people and now considers himself a "cutup" and funny guy. Prior to that is sat in the house alone, got fat, depressed and had no social life. Today he is traveling half way across America to visit with childhood and high school friends for a couple of weeks. :)
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

Valisure just released the following:

"Valisure has tested and detected high levels of the probable human carcinogen N-Nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) in specific lots of the drug metformin, a prescription medication used to control high blood sugar in adults and adolescents with type 2 diabetes. In a Citizen Petition filed with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on March 2, 2020, Valisure urged FDA to request recalls for the identified lots of metformin.

Valisure’s analysis of 22 companies selling metformin and a total of 38 batches revealed 16 batches and 11 companies where NDMA levels were detected above the 96 nanograms (ng) daily acceptable intake limit. Several batches contained over 10 times the daily acceptable intake limit and there was significant variability from batch to batch, even within a single company. These findings underscore the importance of batch-level chemical analysis and the necessity of effective quality surveillance of medications."

If you are taking metformin, you might want to make sure it is not being manufactured by one of 11 companies with high levels of NDMA in its product.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

If anyone is looking for an alternative to Metformin for increasing longevity you should consider drinking silica rich mineral water. It is more effective and safer than taking something that is not made by the body or essential to the body. Silica is an essential nutrient. Drinking silica rich mineral water also decreases your risk of Alzheimer's. If you are familiar with Blue Zones of the world all five have drinking water high in silica. My husband Dennis N Crouse is a scientist who is retired and spent his career in the field of environmental toxins. Since retiring he has continued his work because his mother has Alzheimer's. He has now written 2 books the second book which was just updated is 'Silica Water the Secret to Blue Zone Longevity in the Aluminum Age'. The book is available on Amazon.

Here is a link to the Alzheimer's chapter in this book. http://prevent-alzheimers-autism-stroke ... imers.html

Here is a description of the book "Research on the world's six blue zones, where people live longer than normal, reveals high levels of dissolved silica in their drinking water. This book describes this research and explains why dissolved silica is a causal factor of longevity. Learn how silica water prevents, and heals the following conditions and terminal diseases: Alzheimer's, Atherosclerosis, Heart Disease, Autism, Multiple Sclerosis, Osteoporosis, Parkinson's, and Seizures.
After publishing this book in 2018, when only 5 blue zones had been identified by demographers, two papers were published fully describing a sixth blue zone. This new data was remarkable as, after examining all variables that could account for extreme longevity, the demographers found only high levels of silica in drinking water were unique to this blue zone as compared with the surrounding areas that did not have extreme longevity. This new data is incorporated in the updated second edition of this book.
Dr. Crouse majored in biochemistry at Harvard College and has a Ph.D. in chemistry from Harvard University."
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vikingman »

If you don't exercise then it is the go to choice. My dad's life has been completely transformed by NMN and Metformin. He started exercising, became social, no longer depressed, positive attitude for 1st time in his life.