Lead and Cadmium in Chocolate

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Re: Lead and Cadmium in Chocolate

Post by MarcR »

circular wrote:If the MADL marks the highest without an observable effect
The MADL is set to be one one-thousandth of the exposure level which would have an observable effect. I see it as the absolutely positively no worries threshold. To be sure it's going to harm you, you have to have 1,000 times as much as the MADL.

Here's the definition from the As You Sow FAQ:
OEHHA has set a maximum allowable daily exposure level (MADL) for lead and cadmium in consumer products. The MADL for a given chemical is otherwise referred to as a “safe harbor level.” The MADL is a level at which a chemical would have no observable effect, even if an individual were exposed to 1,000 times that level. The MADL for lead is set at 0.5 µg/day for lead and cadmium at 4.1 µg/day for cadmium. Exposures levels below established safe harbor levels are exempt from the requirements of Proposition 65.
The "requirements of Proposition 65" is a warning on the product package - if you're so far below a meaningful level of the toxin that you are even below the incredibly cautious MADL threshold, you don't have to warn.

So for lead, we can infer from the 0.5 ug/day MADL that 500 ug/day would have an observable effect. The highest measurement for Endangered Species ND88 per serving (1 oz) was 3.4 ug in 2014. That's seven times the MADL, but it's still only 1/147th of the level that definitely causes harm. So I take my chances. :-)

Thanks for sharing information about the Montezuma product - I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

MarcR wrote:
circular wrote:If the MADL marks the highest without an observable effect
The MADL is set to be one one-thousandth of the exposure level which would have an observable effect. I see it as the absolutely positively no worries threshold. To be sure it's going to harm you, you have to have 1,000 times as much as the MADL.

Here's the definition from the As You Sow FAQ:
OEHHA has set a maximum allowable daily exposure level (MADL) for lead and cadmium in consumer products. The MADL for a given chemical is otherwise referred to as a “safe harbor level.” The MADL is a level at which a chemical would have no observable effect, even if an individual were exposed to 1,000 times that level. The MADL for lead is set at 0.5 µg/day for lead and cadmium at 4.1 µg/day for cadmium. Exposures levels below established safe harbor levels are exempt from the requirements of Proposition 65.
The "requirements of Proposition 65" is a warning on the product package - if you're so far below a meaningful level of the toxin that you are even below the incredibly cautious MADL threshold, you don't have to warn.

So for lead, we can infer from the 0.5 ug/day MADL that 500 ug/day would have an observable effect. The highest measurement for Endangered Species ND88 per serving (1 oz) was 3.4 ug in 2014. That's seven times the MADL, but it's still only 1/147th of the level that definitely causes harm. So I take my chances. :-)

Thanks for sharing information about the Montezuma product - I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.
Thanks a Marc!

I really like the Montezuma. I also ordered a variation with orange and cocoa nibs on its way from the UK via Amazon. I haven’t yet noticed it in stores here. I might alternate with Endangered Species to shave the new higher cost of my chocolate habit some. I get the best price on ES on sale at Fry’s grocery.
Last edited by circular on Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
eap1992
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eap1992 »

Has anyone tried anything from eatingevolved brand keto nut butter chocolate bar or keto cups? I checked as you sow and i think my consumer lab membership expired... but i doubt it's on consumer lab (if it is, I'd love to know!).
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

eap1992 wrote:Has anyone tried anything from eatingevolved brand keto nut butter chocolate bar or keto cups? I checked as you sow and i think my consumer lab membership expired... but i doubt it's on consumer lab (if it is, I'd love to know!).
Hi eap1992, I don’t have access to consumer lab, but when I had access to Evolved brand KetoCups they were my favorite keto snack.
Íd also be interested in knowing how they rate on cadmium and lead levels.
While they are unavailable, I have been making my own version using dark chocolate bar and coconut manna from Nutiva.
Haven’t tried the peanut butter version ( I found recipes by searching for homemade KetoCups )
If you make your own you can use the chocolate of your choice.
Mine taste good but don’t look as nice .
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

eap1992 wrote:Has anyone tried anything from eatingevolved brand keto nut butter chocolate bar or keto cups? I checked as you sow and i think my consumer lab membership expired... but i doubt it's on consumer lab (if it is, I'd love to know!).
Sadly I once bought a bag of those keto cups (forget which flavor) and had to throw them away. Didn’t like it enough to even finish the first one. I do sometimes like eating some nuts when I eat my chocolate. They often go in the same bite :)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Hi all,

Does anyone know what brand of cocoa powder has the least lead? I know Julie has researched metals in chocolate and cocoa and found that solid chocolate will have less lead and cadmium. But sometimes I want to use cocoa and am currently just grabbing what I find, which does make me a little nervous. But I don't know how to find cocoa with minimal metals... The one cocoa brand that was decent on As You Sow website it nowhere to be found in the wild.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR