The Ketogenic Diet: A Neurologist’s Warning

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Plumster
Contributor
Contributor

Re: The Ketogenic Diet: A Neurologist’s Warning

Postby Plumster » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:02 pm

It seems that Esselstyn isn't quite as strict about plant-based fats and EVOO as he used to be, according to this 2017 article that he co-authored.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9717300360
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Postby Julie G » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:22 pm

Interesting, Plumster. I admire his ability to change with the evidence... although I still question many of his recommendations such as the promotion of genetically modified, highly engineered canola oil. It's also with noting that george05 appears to have abstained from all oil while on this approach.
Not exactly. It was my heart calcium score that tripled on the Esselstyn diet. It started at a 600 and increased to over 1800 while being vegan with no oils. The triglycerides remained in the upper 200’s to 300’s during that time. My triglycerides are now under 50 with no grains and niacin.

Family Tree Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Family Tree Guy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:21 pm

Julie G wrote:
According to Attia and Dayspring, there is no agreed upon testing that determines HDL functionality. In terms of assessing my own HDL, I think it makes sense to assess the downstream effects of the known functions of HDL (like reverse cholesterol transport and the antioxidant properties) to roughly determine functionality. In other words, if your LDL-C (and more importantly LDL-P) are decent and your oxLDL is low, it's probably doing it's job. All that said, I still find it stunning that Attia doesn't recognize the benefits of naturally high functional HDL.

This study seems relevant to the discussion:
Is Isolated Low High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol a Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factor?
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10 ... 115.002436

It contains data analysis basically saying that HDL (considered as a single biomarker) is not too helpful. Rather, you need to consider the LDL and TG levels to determine something meaningful. (I am grossly simplifying, but if your LDL and TG levels are below 100, then having a low HDL level does not predict tendency to CVD.) It does not really discuss the functionality of HDL issue. I researched this at one point because I have found that if I eat a low fat style (Ornish / Esselstyn type) diet, my total cholesterol goes very low, but so does my HDL. Vice-versa also true-- if I eat more nuts and avocado and such, both my HDL and TC increase. (Happily my TG levels don't seem to be affected.) I was wondering if the literature had some suggestion which is better for AD prevention..
best,
FTG

DianeSC
Contributor
Contributor

Postby DianeSC » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:34 pm

PBW, can you tell us the krill oil brand that you found with 600 mg Omega 3 (EPA 330, DHA 202, Astaxanthin 1700)?

Return to “Prevention and Treatment”