Another insulin resistance test: Insulin Resistance Panel With Score

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Another insulin resistance test: Insulin Resistance Panel With Score

Post by Julie G »

'Unable to calculate the Insulin Resistance Score, as one or more
analytes were outside of the reportable range.'
This goes back to Tincup's theory that we're blowing up the reference ranges in a good way. Congrats! :D Very interesting about THD, BTW. FWIW, I didn't pick that lab; tests were ordered by my FMP.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote: This goes back to Tincup's theory that we're blowing up the reference ranges in a good way. Congrats! :D .
And I'm not nearly as low carb/high keto as some others.

I do plan to do Catherine Croft's version of the Kraft approach. It's also such a cheap test.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Tincup wrote: A low carb and/or keto diet can also skew the results for either test. Kraft suggested eating at least 150g/day of carbs for 14 days before doing his test.
Hi Tincup,

Darn, that's a lot of days eating higher carb than I normally do. Good thing I double checked. I was going to eat higher carb for about three days before using Crofts' method. I'm wondering ... wouldn't the value in the context of one's chosen diet be the most valuable? Why seek a value based on a diet I don't eat? I hear that you are suggesting that the test is technically flawed without this prep, but I'm hoping that's just not the case :lol: If this is a technically precise recommendation, the Kraft (and Croft?) test would seem to really only be useful to people eating 150+ carbs a day. What use is knowing my insulin sensitivity at that high a level of carbs if I don't eat that many?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote:
Tincup wrote: A low carb and/or keto diet can also skew the results for either test. Kraft suggested eating at least 150g/day of carbs for 14 days before doing his test.
Hi Tincup,

Darn, that's a lot of days eating higher carb than I normally do. Good thing I double checked. I was going to eat higher carb for about three days before using Crofts' method. I'm wondering ... wouldn't the value in the context of one's chosen diet be the most valuable? Why seek a value based on a diet I don't eat? I hear that you are suggesting that the test is technically flawed without this prep, but I'm hoping that's just not the case :lol: If this is a technically precise recommendation, the Kraft (and Croft?) test would seem to really only be useful to people eating 150+ carbs a day. What use is knowing my insulin sensitivity at that high a level of carbs if I don't eat that many?
Circ, the real issue is you can end up with a blunted insulin response. There was a member here who had a low insulin response. She may have been late onset T1, pancreatic insufficiency or perhaps just a really low carb diet. I was concerned as her glucose responses were really high. Crofts told Stavia, for low carbers, just do her two hour insulin sampling two hours after the carbiest meal of the day. When Stavia did this several years ago, her insulin was 20 at two hours, so perfect.

"What use is knowing my insulin sensitivity at that high a level of carbs if I don't eat that many?" My sentiments exactly. I've never done the test for that reason. However for the last six months I was actually trying to throw myself out of ketosis with a lot of starches. I only got one nil reading in the morning (after an overnight fast), all the rest ranged from 0.3-1.0 mmol/L. Not high, but still material for the amount of carbs I was consuming. I also wore a continuous glucose monitor for part of that time. Some decent spikes, but nothing like the lady I mentioned above.
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Tincup wrote:Crofts told Stavia, for low carbers, just do her two hour insulin sampling two hours after the carbiest meal of the day.
Ah, so Crofts doesn't think her method requires 14 days of higher carb eating?

Thanks Tincup. I really think all this is probably overkill for me at this point, but hey, it's one of the cheapest tests.
RLS2
New User
New User

Post by RLS2 »

I'm hoping a medical professional can advise me on this strange lack of scoring on this test.
I am a type 1 diabetic for 30 years and wanted to see if I have also become insulin resistant.
This is the error given to me, alos, and I have attached a screenshot of the particular results.
I would like to know more before I consult my endocrinologist. I am eating less than 60 carbs per day.
C-Peptide reported < 0.11 L; LDL P was high at 1521 H, but all else good. particle size is small.
So, from all your interactions, it looks like I cannot depend on this test no matter what.
"Unable to calculate the Insulin Resistance Score, as one or more analytes were outside of the reportable range."
C-Peptide+IR-Score 200805.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

RLS2 wrote:I'm hoping a medical professional can advise me on this strange lack of scoring on this test.
I am a type 1 diabetic for 30 years and wanted to see if I have also become insulin resistant.
This is the error given to me, alos, and I have attached a screenshot of the particular results.
I would like to know more before I consult my endocrinologist. I am eating less than 60 carbs per day.
C-Peptide reported < 0.11 L; LDL P was high at 1521 H, but all else good. particle size is small.
So, from all your interactions, it looks like I cannot depend on this test no matter what.
"Unable to calculate the Insulin Resistance Score, as one or more analytes were outside of the reportable range."C-Peptide+IR-Score 200805.png
Welcome, RLS2!

While we do have some medical professionals on this site (I'm not one of them), they generally avoid providing any specific medical advice that could be considered diagnostic or evaluative because they only see a tiny part of who you are as a person and a patient. The only time I have seen them go beyond that is to suggest immediate medical attention for highly unusual or dangerous symptoms, or to offer general advice applicable to most people.

Having known a few long-term Type 1 diabetics, I am guessing that you deserve high praise for managing the needs of your body and navigating the health care system! I would guess that your LDL-P score is unrelated to your IR score. I have a very high LDL-P score also (and am ApOE 4/4, which contributes to that), but have been lucky to have low IR and no Type 1 or 2 diabetes.

It sounds like your endocrinologist's advanced training may come in very useful to you! In case it offers some new information for an experienced student of insulin like yourself, here's a section from our Wiki on Insulin Resistance in the brain
If you are interested in other parts of our forum, we hope you explore the Welcome page, which includes a link to our Primer, written by a doctor who is also ApoE4/4, and some considerations when thinking about testing for ApoE 4.

To find short-cuts for searching topics, quoting members and using the resources of the Wiki, see "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website

Best wishes for finding good news about your insulin status!
4/4 and still an optimist!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

RLS2 wrote:"Unable to calculate the Insulin Resistance Score, as one or more analytes were outside of the reportable range."C-Peptide+IR-Score 200805.png
It looks like your score couldn't be calculated due to a low C-Peptide, which is typical for a type 1 diabetic. This site explains. Your endocrinologist should also be an excellent source of information.
Slacker
E4/E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

"C-peptide levels are associated with diabetes type and duration of disease. Specifically a c-peptide level of less than 0.2 nmol/l is associated with a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM)." Your 0.11 ng/mL = 0.036 nmol/l Hence this test just shows you have T1, as a non medical person.
From: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5446389/
Tincup
E3,E4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Tincup wrote:"C-peptide levels are associated with diabetes type and duration of disease
Tincup, in all your conferences and reading, have you heard about insulin resistance in type 1 diabetes? It's an interesting concept.
Slacker
E4/E4