Gut Bacteria

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Gut Bacteria

Post by Surupe »

I did a stool test recently and I have high levels of 4 different types of Bacteroides phylum; B. Vulgates, Barnesiella spp, Odoribactor spp, and Prevotella spp. I also have Sibo. If I treat the Sibo, do you think these levels will drop? What else can I do to decrease them? I’ve searched high and low for information but have found none. I did read in an article recently that Bacteroides are typically high in people with AD.
Thanks for you input!
E4/E4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Gut Bacteria

Post by Plumster »

Surupe,

I can't help, but can you get info from the company or doctor who did the stool test? Was it Genova? They have interpretation guides online (do a random search, I have found a few PDFs myself) that may help. They may also have consultations for a fee?
Last edited by Plumster on Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Surupe »

Hi Plumster,
I did find some Genova guides but absolutely nothing is listed on how to decrease these high levels. I found a lot on how to increase a level I’m deficient in (Akkermansia). My FP had no guidance , either. It’s frustrating to know this but have no guidance on how to remedy it.
E4/E4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Surupe, I don't have an answer for you either, I'm sorry. However, I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing what you learned about increasing Akkermansia. According to stool testing, I'm low in that.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Surupe »

The Brain,
I’m trying to drink Concord grape juice and taking cranberry extract daily but I’m not certain it will work. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6223323/
E4/E4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Surupe wrote:The Brain,
I’m trying to drink Concord grape juice and taking cranberry extract daily but I’m not certain it will work. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6223323/
Thanks, Surupe. Interesting article. Your interventions are certainly worth a try. I’m reluctant to drink Concord grape juice because of the sugar content, but maybe I could find it in extract form, similar to the cranberry extract. I could also take FOS as a prebiotic.

It’s notable that a high fat diet decreases Akkermansia muciniphila, but in most instances, the article refers to the “Western high fat diet,” which is high in saturated fat. My understanding is that saturated fat is what causes an increase in LPS in circulation, so perhaps following a ketogenic diet low in saturated fat wouldn’t be an issue. At least I hope that’s the case.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Surupe »

I bought some insulin (with FOS) but have been hesitant to take because of Sibo. Last time I took a prebiotic, I was in a lot of pain. Apparently, it caused both types of bacteria to multiply...bad and good.
I was also assuming the mention of the high fat diet meant bad fats as opposed to good. I wish they would have been more specific.
E4/E4
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Surupe »

Sorry, I meant Inulin...
E4/E4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Those two words are darn close. :)

I have your same concern about SIBO. I had been diagnosed with hydrogen sulfide SIBO. Mine seems to be at bay (not that all my digestive symptoms are gone), but I certainly don't want it to come back.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

TheBrain wrote: It’s notable that a high fat diet decreases Akkermansia muciniphila, but in most instances, the article refers to the “Western high fat diet,” which is high in saturated fat. My understanding is that saturated fat is what causes an increase in LPS in circulation, so perhaps following a ketogenic diet low in saturated fat wouldn’t be an issue. At least I hope that’s the case.
HI, TheBrain, I think you first introduced me to Rebel Health Tribe and the Microbiome Series years ago in a post on one of the Forums. I purchased the first series and later, the Microbiome 2 series. Kiran Krishnan, the microbiologist expert on both microbiome series, says that the best way to increase Akkermansia muciniphila is through intermittent fasting. I remember his saying the “sweet spot” is 16 hrs. I am not home now and so don’t have access to my notes, but can follow up later in the week; please send PM if you want me to look up more specifics.

In regards to fats, I wrote to him directly after hearing him say several times that ketogenic diets and high fat diets are bad for the microbiome. His response was that the problem with keto and low carb/high fat diets in general is that they are low in fiber and also tend to be low in diversity. He was surprised to hear about the kind of plant -based high fat diets many here follow. His recommendation for improving balance in the microbiome is to eat as widely diverse a diet as possible, especially eating a variety of fruits and vegetables.
Personally, since I limit carbs, I had cut out all fruit except berries, but I’ve started adding tiny portions of fruits which I’d been avoiding, to (hopefully) nourish my microbiome.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health