Question about testosterone

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Kitkat
Contributor
Contributor

Question about testosterone

Postby Kitkat » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:25 pm

Hi Everyone--I have been searching through the different threads on the forums and haven't been able to find an answer to this question (apologies if I'm missing it). I just turned 52 and have been on bioidentical hormone replacement therapy for a couple months, primarily because of the studies (including the big one at Stanford) indicating cognitive and telomere benefits for women carrying the apoe4 gene (I'm 3/4). I've been taking what the pharmacist gave me, namely a progesterone pill at bedtime and two drops of estradiol twice a day. She also prescribed testosterone. My question is, is the testosterone necessary in terms of cognitive benefits? Thanks! KitKat

sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about testosterone

Postby sarahb12 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:55 pm

Not sure. However, I read a article recently about men that have been given treatment to lower testosterone (for prostate cancer) had a higher incidence of dementia - than those not given the treatment. This may or may not correlate to the effect of some testosterone in women.
E3/E4

NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Postby NF52 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:43 pm

Kitkat wrote:Hi Everyone--I have been searching through the different threads on the forums and haven't been able to find an answer to this question (apologies if I'm missing it)... My question is, is the testosterone necessary in terms of cognitive benefits? Thanks! KitKat
sarahb12 wrote: I read a article recently about men that have been given treatment to lower testosterone (for prostate cancer) had a higher incidence of dementia - than those not given the treatment. This may or may not correlate to the effect of some testosterone in women.
Hi Kitkat and sarahb12!
You may have come across this thread already, but in case you haven't, here's a link to a reply I made in April to "Surupe". If you click on the red and green link in the middle of the post that says "Testosterone + Menopause search results" you'll find 41 posts on that topic. And at the bottom of the post is a link to how to do searches, which can be filtered for topic titles, authors you follow, etc. Hope this helps!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=119&p=66352&hilit=testosterone+menopause#p66352
4/4 and still an optimist!

marymac
Contributor
Contributor

Postby marymac » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:05 pm

I've been using a testosterone cream for over a decade (I'm 49, and I went through menopause at 37). The biggest benefit I've noticed is that it has helped to lower my fasting blood sugar. Lots of research showing it has this effect if you google it.

Kitkat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Kitkat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:23 am

Thank you, SarahB12, NF52 and marymac. NF52, I did use that search function and I read through the various posts. I continue to feel puzzled about the cognitive benefits of testosterone (I understand that there may be other benefits to testosterone). The testosterone is responsible for acne around my mouth, I believe, so I'd rather stop using it if there are no cognitive benefits.

I would very much welcome thoughts from those on the forums (the wise folks who have been on for a long time, in particular!) who are on bioidentical HRT and have decided as part of that therapy to include testosterone, as well as thoughts from those who decided not to use testosterone, and what the thought process was in each case.

Return to “Prevention and Treatment”