10-ingredients that could cause Alzheimer’s

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
rjkmhk
Contributor
Contributor

10-ingredients that could cause Alzheimer’s

Post by rjkmhk »

https://www.healthiguide.com/nutrition/ ... lzheimers/

I thought this was interesting...one I’d never even heard of and since they are all in our diet, we can control them.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: 10-ingredients that could cause Alzheimer’s

Post by Plumster »

Thanks for the interesting list, rjkmhk:

1) Trans Fats
2) Advanced Glycation End Products (cooking at high temperatures, processed foods)
3) Aluminum
4) Aspartame (sugar alternative)
5) Diacetyl (artificial flavoring in popcorn and baked goods)
6) MSG
7) Mercury
8) Tofu (A study published in Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders states that processed soy products like tofu can affect your memory over a period of time. You should switch to less processed soy foods like tempeh, which are much safer and healthier to consume.) This was interesting. Notably, the study examined high consumption of tofu and another study had a different outcome in the west. From the study: "It is unclear whether these negative associations could be attributed to potential toxins or to its phytoestrogen levels."
9) Nitrites (processed meats)
10) Fluoride (studies show that long-term consumption of the chemical could damage the brain, lower the IQ (particularly in children), and lead to brain diseases like Alzheimer’s. Experts say that the ingestion of sodium or aluminum fluoride could lead to the formation of amyloid deposits in the brain, which is associated with Alzheimer’s disease.)
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

I am glad to see aluminum is on both of these lists however it should be at the top of the lists. Tofu made the list of foods to avoid and the reason for this is Soy is a plant that accumulates aluminum from the soil. Plants have evolved to protect themselves from the toxicity of aluminum by using silica.

Remember drinking silica rich mineral water is effective at removing aluminum from our body. The silica detoxifies the aluminum and facilitates it's elimination through urine and sweat.

Yes we can take action to protect our brains from getting Alzheimer's and drinking silica rich mineral water is very simple to implement.

If you would like to learn more I have several threads in this forum on aluminum and silica water. You can also look up Professor Exley at Keele University in the UK. He has been publishing on aluminum and silica for over 30 years. There are 2 evidenced based books written on Alzheimer's, aluminum and silica water. Check out Dennis N Crouse on amazon. He also has a blog on blogger and videos on you tube.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FitFoodie »

It seems like the research is mixed and may be gender dependent on soy/tofu. As a fan of fermentation, though, I'm not surprised that tempeh is all thumbs-up. Fermentation produces several beneficial compounds with antioxidant properties.

Here's a summary of research about soy and tofu
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/soy/
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

FitFoodie wrote:It seems like the research is mixed and may be gender dependent on soy/tofu. As a fan of fermentation, though, I'm not surprised that tempeh is all thumbs-up. Fermentation produces several beneficial compounds with antioxidant properties.
/
Soy is a plant that absorbs a lot of aluminum. Tofu has been tested and some sources have been found to be high in aluminum. Some people speculated the aluminum was added during the processing. Acid washing in aluminum tanks leaches high levels of aluminum into the final product. Soy based infant formulas are high in aluminum.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3851493/
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FitFoodie »

laurie wrote: Soy is a plant that absorbs a lot of aluminum. Tofu has been tested and some sources have been found to be high in aluminum. Some people speculated the aluminum was added during the processing. Acid washing in aluminum tanks leaches high levels of aluminum into the final product. Soy based infant formulas are high in aluminum.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3851493/
The biggest danger with soy products seems to be in processed formula and powder supplements. One of my goals is to stay in the realm of whole foods rather than processed foods, so no chance of me eating that stuff at least.

Thanks for this info. It will impact my tofu consumption -- I'm feeling less gung-ho, though I'm also just darn hungry and at a loss about what to eat. Since educating myself more about reducing AD risk, my BMI has dropped from 19 to 18.6. That's not what I or my pulmonologist wants to see.

My strategy used to be to eat all of everything, literally to stay uncommitted, because I've seen too much research change, and I'd rather not discover the thing I ate every day was the new poison. Now, I'm eating (aluminum) cans of sardines and avocados like a madwoman, wondering what the heck I should cook every night, and also when sardines are suddenly going to get a bad rap.

None of this venting is directed at you, of course. I'm just wishing things were more clear cut :?
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

FitFoodie wrote:
laurie wrote:
Now, I'm eating (aluminum) cans of sardines and avocados like a madwoman, wondering what the heck I should cook every night, and also when sardines are suddenly going to get a bad rap.
Check the cans they may not be made from aluminum. You can use a magnet. If the magnet sticks its not aluminum. Some sardine cans are made steel.
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FitFoodie »

laurie wrote: Check the cans they may not be made from aluminum. You can use a magnet. If the magnet sticks its not aluminum. Some sardine cans are made steel.
Magnet sticks :D (thanks for the tip)
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

[/quote]

Magnet sticks :D (thanks for the tip)[/quote]

You are welcome. I like keeping people aluminum free.
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Great conversation. I have to admit that tofu is a bit surprising to me and I don't think the warning is anywhere near as clear cut for the other ingredients like trans fats, mercury, and aluminum.

I can't help but think of Japan, where seniors have long healthspans and among the highest longevity in the world and they eat a lot of soy products. Granted, in their country, they're non-GMO, very minimally processed, and more often fermented (tempeh, miso, natto) and therefore lower in anti-nutrients. Additionally, Japanese soil has some of the lowest levels of aluminum leading me to wonder if Japanese soy is just overall safer. :?