Prolon Mimicking Diet

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Prolon Mimicking Diet

Post by circular »

Following all the comments. I mightn't have thought of Jason Fung only because I associate him with the goal of reversing diabetes. No surprise his information would be beneficial to others, and I hadn't seen that post with all the links.

For now I don't have time to get into much nitty gritty (although I hope to some day). This is one reason I thought of just doing the Prolon diet, lectins and all, since it's studied and I don't have to worry about nuance and detail. So I'd be interested in knowing if there is research showing a water only fast of three days accomplishes the same as the Prolon diet for five days.

I also think it would be interesting, although I probably won't pay for the extra labs, if someone sensitive to lectins ran a bunch of inflammation labs before and after doing the ProLon lectin-containing diet just to see what happens. Inflammation markers should go up, but I'm pondering that in the context of fasting they might go down? Just curious.

In particular I'd like to see if it can:

- lower my persistently, if mildly, elevated CRP (ProLon is said to do this)
- have a beneficial impact on my ligament laxity
- further lower my already much improved chemical sensitivity

What I wouldn't see but hope to achieve is some autophagy and stem cell growth.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote: In particular I'd like to see if it can:

- lower my persistently, if mildly, elevated CRP (ProLon is said to do this)
- have a beneficial impact on my ligament laxity
- further lower my already much improved chemical sensitivity

What I wouldn't see but hope to achieve is some autophagy and stem cell growth.
I don't think anybody really knows. From what I've learned, listening to people like Guido Kroemer is that Longo's mice research are treated more "harshly" than the humans. Some of the big benefits come from fasting the mice. However, fasting a mouse for two days is like fasting a human for a long time. I think Kroemer said a mouse would lose 20% of its bodyweight in 48 hours, it might take a human maybe even two months to do this. In your shoes, I'd water fast for 5 days (or longer) and see what happens. IMO, water fasting is a much stronger signal. I'd make sure I was in ketosis before I started, that takes a lot of the stress away, then water fast. I'm assuming you aren't on meds such that you'd need to pay careful attention to dosing during a fast.
Tincup
E3,E4
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

I started off doing a modified version of the Prolon diet with the main thing being to try to match the macro breakdown as much as possible. I erred on the side of lower calories and macros and this is what I came up with to try and match the spirit of the FMD. I kept it very simple and straight forward so it obviously lacks variety.

I agree with others that it was a lot of work and I have transitioned to doing a 5 day water fast every 6 months.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

For me, there were too many carbs in the ProLon diet. You can adjust according to body weight, but I never really got into ketosis. I was using a ketone meter.

viewtopic.php?t=3470
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

To be honest, I'd agree with Tincup's advice. Subject to meds, just do a water fast, it's MUCH easier (and cheaper, I think the ProLon was £300!) and vastly more effective.Hunger disappears on day two or three. Just drink lots of San Pellegrino and take a pinch of salt in it occasionally.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
noatakgirl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by noatakgirl »

circular wrote:I know at least one here has spoken of doing the fasting mimicking diet with a home concocted food list that matched the Prolon macros. I’m having trouble finding how to do this in the forum, hoping to see some templates others have already devised. Any tips? (I haven’t googled yet since others here might be more likely to eat somewhat like me.)
This post prompted me to join in. I did this fast with my own food several times two years ago and am getting ready to do again soon. I have never really attempted water only fasting, and this style fast was easy to jump into (from a low carb diet). Water only may be better, but that is hard for some people and this Prolon fast designed for cancer patients or those undergoing chemotherapy, etc.

The key is very low protein, and I was also interested in a very low carb approach to get very low blood sugar and deplete glycogen. My main food was a coleslaw made with avocado oil based mayonnaise as the dressing. I would have a bowl twice a day. Additionally, I might have olives or a few nuts if I needed something else. In the evening, I would also usually have half an avocado with olive oil. It is important to consume salt. I was also having some coffee with cream and about a 1/2 tsp of sugar. I would on a couple mornings have to eat a few grapes as my blood sugar was low. Basically, you are picking a low protein food without too many carbohydrates to get you through the fast. It's okay if it's boring because you will eat less. The first time I was also eating some plain, unsalted potato, and it wouldn't take much before I didn't need to eat more. You want to stay low calorie (for me 500-600calories) and if you end up with less, that's fine.

I stopped doing the fast because of concerns about muscle loss. I do plan to do this fast again, maybe two times per year, but now would do some weight bearing exercises everyday of the fast to send a signal to maintain muscle mass. Nothing very intense, but daily squats, lunges, push-ups, etc. Before, I wasn't doing that daily, maybe 1 time.

You will get wacky blood panels especially if testing near the end of the fast (they return to normal after), but after three rounds in three months, I did get the lowest hsCRP I have ever had when measured one month later.

Good Luck.

NoatakGirl
HopefulCaroline
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HopefulCaroline »

noatakgirl wrote:
circular wrote:I know at least one here has spoken of doing the fasting mimicking diet with a home concocted food list that matched the Prolon macros. I’m having trouble finding how to do this in the forum, hoping to see some templates others have already devised. Any tips? (I haven’t googled yet since others here might be more likely to eat somewhat like me.)
This post prompted me to join in. I did this fast with my own food several times two years ago and am getting ready to do again soon. I have never really attempted water only fasting, and this style fast was easy to jump into (from a low carb diet). Water only may be better, but that is hard for some people and this Prolon fast designed for cancer patients or those undergoing chemotherapy, etc.
NoatakGirl,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your informed contributions to our community. We are happy to have you! If you are so inclined we would love to hear more about what brought you here. You can post in our Stories section where you will find the backgrounds and stories of many of our members. The Wiki is another useful resource as well as our Primer which was written by one of our physician members and contains an introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry, and possible prevention strategies.

What were you looking to accomplish with your fasting strategy and were you successful in your attempts? Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. Others from our community will undoubtedly benefit. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Sincerely,
Caroline
Caroline
ApoE4.info Intern
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
“What grows never grows old.” -Noah Benshea
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I'm in a FB group, Fasting for a Purpose. This was recently posted:

"My wife and I just completed the Prolon Mimic Fast. Perhaps the word Phony Fast would be better. I have done 6 water fasts since July, and have entered high or highest healing phase every time for 2-3 full days. With Prolon, I entered high for only a few hours during the entire time. Most times I was at low or moderate at best. My wife never entered the healing stage and we both followed the directions exactly. Maybe it will work for you, but save your money and do the water fast or just eat really lightly with minimal carbs and you will probably get better results. I really wanted this to work, but when you look at the carbs and sugars you are eating daily, I do not understand how it could work and for us it did not."

Q? "Would you please explain how you determined if you were in the healing stage?"

A: "I used what they call the Glucose Ketone Index. It is the glucose level divided by 18 divided by the ketone level. less than 1 is highest, 1-3 high, 3-6 moderate, 6-9 is low. This represents the therapeutic level of ketosis you are in. I use the keto mojo to measure my glucose and ketone levels. Hope this helps." { Glucose Ketone Index or GKI= ((glucose in mg/dL/18)/ketones in mmol/L) or, if glucose is already in mmol/L - typically outside US - GKI= glucose mmol/L/ketones mmol/L}

More comments:

"I think that's intended for people who can't handle fasting. that was my impression."

"You're right. That was the original intention, to find a way to help people who struggle with fasting still get the benefits."

"I'm sure it's beneficial to people with health conditions that prevent fasting."
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

It's good there are different levels of fasting to suit different people's needs, much like meditation. I haven't had a chance to focus on fasting yet.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.