Prolon Mimicking Diet

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Prolon Mimicking Diet

Post by circular »

I know at least one here has spoken of doing the fasting mimicking diet with a home concocted food list that matched the Prolon macros. I’m having trouble finding how to do this in the forum, hoping to see some templates others have already devised. Any tips? (I haven’t googled yet since others here might be more likely to eat somewhat like me.)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Prolon Mimicking Diet

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote:I know at least one here has spoken of doing the fasting mimicking diet with a home concocted food list that matched the Prolon macros. I’m having trouble finding how to do this in the forum, hoping to see some templates others have already devised. Any tips? (I haven’t googled yet since others here might be more likely to eat somewhat like me.)
Gundry told us the vegan version of his 3-day cleanse in his Plant Paradox book will work (p 189), also he has fasting mimicking days in his Longevity Paradox book (p217). I specifically asked him if he'd checked the Plant Paradox version with things that Longo measures in his studies, like IGF-1. He said yes. At one point, I read Longo's patents to get the details. Here is one. Personally, I'd just fast. It is time consuming to worry about food and when you water fast, it saves a lot of time, but that's just me. :D
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Tincup wrote:
circular wrote:I know at least one here has spoken of doing the fasting mimicking diet with a home concocted food list that matched the Prolon macros. I’m having trouble finding how to do this in the forum, hoping to see some templates others have already devised. Any tips? (I haven’t googled yet since others here might be more likely to eat somewhat like me.)
Gundry told us the vegan version of his 3-day cleanse in his Plant Paradox book will work (p 189), also he has fasting mimicking days in his Longevity Paradox book (p217). I specifically asked hip if he'd checked the Plant Paradox version with things that Longo measures in his studies, like IGF-1. He said yes. At one point, I read Longo's patents to get the details. Here is one. Personally, I'd just fast. It is time consuming to worry about food and when you water fast, it saves a lot of time, but that's just me. :D
Thanks for your usual helpful input Tincup! I'm also considering a water fast. It may even be easier physically. I did a three day, four night one a long time ago on a wilderness trip. There were even wild blueberries at my solo site and I didn't eat even one, but I did sing my way through a major thunder and lightening storm in the middle of the night :D
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

http://agingadvice.org/FMD-Recipes.html

I'd agree with Tincup, fasting is VASTLY easier! Just drink lots of sparkling water, with a pinch of salt added.

I've done the diet above a few times and the real ProLon once. Honestly, you just feel hungry ALL the time! However, when water fasting, hunger disappears around day 2 or 3 and after that, it's plain sailing.

The above diet may be useful to ease yourself into the whole fasting thing, but ultimately, I think the aim should be to begin fasting. Just start with 16 hours (1900 to 1100 next day) and extend gradually each time.

Anyone any thoughts?
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

NewRon wrote:http://agingadvice.org/FMD-Recipes.html

I'd agree with Tincup, fasting is VASTLY easier! Just drink lots of sparkling water, with a pinch of salt added.

I've done the diet above a few times and the real ProLon once. Honestly, you just feel hungry ALL the time! However, when water fasting, hunger disappears around day 2 or 3 and after that, it's plain sailing.

The above diet may be useful to ease yourself into the whole fasting thing, but ultimately, I think the aim should be to begin fasting. Just start with 16 hours (1900 to 1100 next day) and extend gradually each time.

Anyone any thoughts?
Thanks NewRon. I can well imagine where water only would be easier. Hopefully being in ketosis first might even help?

I've read the water only diet is three days to achieve autophagy, but I wonder why people stop when the autophagy is just getting started? Is autophagy thought to continue for a while similar to the benefits of the five-day ProLon diet?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote:Hopefully being in ketosis first might even help?
Yes, certainly. Makes it MUCH easier.

For historical entertainment Upton Sinclair - The Fasting Cure - actually very interesting. Published in 1910

Also this was very interesting Triumph Over Disease by Fasting and Natural Diet by Jack Goldstein (it was safe for me to give this organization my email - not a scam). "A testimonial; the story of a young man whose body had been so severely damaged by conventional medical treatment for ulcerative colitis that he was near death. In the nick of time he discovered natural hygiene, fasted for over 40 days and began to recover health and enjoyment of life. Gruesome in its detailed description of the disease and shocking in its recounting of the brutal and constitution-destroying treatments he received, interesting in the detailed inner-experience of a long-time water faster." Goldstein fasted around 1964.

Also, Dr. Shelton fasted 1,000's of people over many years. The Science and Fine Art of Fasting This is a bit of a slog, but again interesting. I think the last edition of this was published in 1963. Some of his references go back into the 1800's.

What is interesting to me are the fasts "to completion" where the coating on the tongue went away and "true hunger" appears. This is mentioned in all three books. I've never done this, wonder what benefit I might experience if I did?
Tincup
E3,E4
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Circ, I don't know a whole lot about fasting, other than from doing my own fasting. Tincup has much more info.

Maybe the link to the Jason Fung blog above will help!
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Agree with NewRon that Jason Fung is a great resource. In addition to his blog, he's got a book..

There is also a private FB group run by Dr. Dan Pompa, Fasting for a Purpose.. The members have done all kinds of fasts and the Files have info. Also Dr. Pompa's site has a lot of info.
Tincup
E3,E4
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebbieG »

NewRon wrote:http://agingadvice.org/FMD-Recipes.html

Anyone any thoughts?
My son and my sister did the actual Prolon Fast. They got through it fine, and as far as we know, it did its job, but they were happy to be done because they got tired of the foods. I made up my own, where I adjusted my food intake to be 800 cal the first day and 600 cal the rest of the days using Chronometer. For dinner, I ate a coconut curry from a recipe on Kara Fitzgerald's site, a small amount of nuts mid-afternoon, and for lunch, I had my version of this bread recipe: https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/the-best-p ... lax-bread/ with butter. I understand you need to go low protein, and I think this diet was OK for that, but it had a decent amount of fat. I wasn't hungry at all; it went fine. I don't know if I met FMD goals, of course. For next time, I'm thinking of trying the FMD recipe on this site: https://drjockers.com/fasting-mimicking-diet-benefits/.