Methylated vitamins B: when enough is enough?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Arbre
Contributor
Contributor

Methylated vitamins B: when enough is enough?

Post by Arbre »

Hello, I am new here, with an APOE4 and MTHFR and MRR risk alelles.

As a consequence, homocystein is a key issue for me.

I am starting to supplement with methylated B vitamins. But a few months ago (before I knew I was APOE4, and I started to take any supplement), I did a blood test, and I had high levels of vitamin B12, 812pg/mL and folic acid (folate), at 15.20 microgr/L.

I do not know if having these high levels suggest I do not need the methylated versions, or not.

In other words: methylated B vitamins help to increase, among others, B12 and folate (for people whose B12 and folate are low, and not increasing even taking non-methylated vitamins), or even if one has good levels of B12 and folate, the methylated versions are also helpful?
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Methylated vitamins B: when enough is enough?

Post by SusanJ »

Arbre wrote:I do not know if having these high levels suggest I do not need the methylated versions, or not.
In other words: methylated B vitamins help to increase, among others, B12 and folate (for people whose B12 and folate are low, and not increasing even taking non-methylated vitamins), or even if one has good levels of B12 and folate, the methylated versions are also helpful?
What is your homocysteine level? Your levels seem within Bredesen's recommendations, but at the low end. If your homocysteine is still high, then methylated B's will help. If you take them for a while and retest, but homocysteine doesn't budge, then look at the methylation wiki for other ideas, like adding creatine, phosphatidylcholine or TMG.

Bredesen's recommend levels:

folate - 10 - 24 ng/mL
B12 - 500 - 1500 pg/mL
Arbre
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Arbre »

SusanJ wrote:
Arbre wrote:I do not know if having these high levels suggest I do not need the methylated versions, or not.
What is your homocysteine level? Your levels seem within Bredesen's recommendations, but at the low end. If your homocysteine is still high, then methylated B's will help. If you take them for a while and retest, but homocysteine doesn't budge, then look at the methylation wiki for other ideas, like adding creatine, phosphatidylcholine or TMG.

Bredesen's recommend levels:

folate - 10 - 24 ng/mL
B12 - 500 - 1500 pg/mL
Thank you for your answer. My homocysteine is at 13.32 micromol/L.

I have rechecked the Bredesen's book, and yes, I have found this range of recommended levels for folate and B12. I had not realized of that at first reading.

I am already taking methylated B vitamins, as well as creatine (to avoid my body to deplete necessary methyl groups to create creatine) and choline (I also bought betaine, but later I realized what I bought was betaine HCL, not TMG ... anyway, I have GERD, and I think GERD has improved since I take betaine HCL).
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

Hi Arbre
I have had some of the same questions on methylated b’s. I had high homocysteine, 14.7 a couple years ago. I got out all my bloodwork I have had done over past 20 years to track my cholesterol and homocysteine. I had never had a high homocysteine before. It was always around 6 before but cholesterol high. I too knew nothing about my mthfr or apoe status and was most likely taking folic acid.
When My homocysteine was high two years ago I was taking a multi by md essentials 5 in 1. It had very high b12 methylated and not much methylfolate 400mcg. I would take extra methylfolate occasionally. During the time my homocysteine was high I was having some major peripheral circulation going on. My toes would tingle on my 5 mile walks. My toes were turning purple and would go in and out with color. My b12 was high on bloodwork so I assumed this was the the problem. I reduce my dosage of this multi to two and started adding more methylfolate. Reading various recommendations on methylfolate for homocysteine I tried 1.2 mg of methylfolate. After a several weeks of this I started having major side effects. Mainly fleeting debilitated pain in my arms. Just an ache that would come on that took my breath away. I stopped the methylfolate and it went away. I slowly started adding it back and found I could not take more 800mcg. My homocysteine went down to 8.4 on last bloodwork and my toes stopped turning purple and tingling.
I am 677c/t and 1298a/c. And apoe2/4.
One thing I added was a phosphatidylcholine that I now know what probably helped the most, at least maybe. My cholesterol was the best it’s ever been with high hdl and lower ldl. And a lot of antioxidants.