Sudden inappropriate tearing and crying

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
ellisto
Contributor
Contributor

Sudden inappropriate tearing and crying

Post by ellisto »

Hi,

I have in the last 9 months begun to have bouts about 90 days apart, of tearing or crying at inappropriate times. My internet research says that this may be a symptom of Parkinson's or ALZ or prior Traumatic brain injury or ALS or MS or depression or anxiety disorder.

Does anyone have any experience with this symptom, its treatment and or studies on this? Any data is appreciated. It is also called PABA.
tryingtobehealthy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Sudden inappropriate tearing and crying

Post by tryingtobehealthy »

I was alot more emotional before. I'm a 48 yo female. My doctor put me on SAM-E and pregnenelone, plus some vitamins (C,E, magesium, B vitamin, methionine, molybdenum).
My mum (who passed away about 6 yrs ago) had vascular dementia and parkinsons. I remember her as being very teary and crying alot, and I have since read that it can be a symptom of vascular dementia.
Being menopausal, my hormones were very low, but since being on the medication and supplements my doctor recommended my oestradiol and progesterone have increased.
I think it's the pregnenelone...I need to go back and review with the doctor though. I haven't had a review with him yet since I have taken the things he recommended. And the SAM-E has definitely helped. I actually have the sensation of "happiness" now...for about 15 years I have struggled with that.
PJD@4411
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PJD@4411 »

tryingtobehealthy wrote:I was alot more emotional before. I'm a 48 yo female. My doctor put me on SAM-E and pregnenelone, plus some vitamins (C,E, magesium, B vitamin, methionine, molybdenum).
My mum (who passed away about 6 yrs ago) had vascular dementia and parkinsons. I remember her as being very teary and crying alot, and I have since read that it can be a symptom of vascular dementia.
Being menopausal, my hormones were very low, but since being on the medication and supplements my doctor recommended my oestradiol and progesterone have increased.
I think it's the pregnenelone...I need to go back and review with the doctor though. I haven't had a review with him yet since I have taken the things he recommended. And the SAM-E has definitely helped. I actually have the sensation of "happiness" now...for about 15 years I have struggled with that.
Hello tryingtobehealthy
First I would like to welcome you to our ApoE4 forum. We are so happy to have you join this supportive community.

I am so sorry to hear about your mother, thank you for sharing her story and yours.

It is challenging trying to sort out hormonal issues during the perimenopause stage, I have been there too.

I am so happy to hear that the SAM-E is helping and that you plan to follow up with your physician.

I would like to share a little more information regarding this site. A great place to get started is by reviewing the Primer which was written by the physician that started this site. It is loaded with a ton of information.

The [url=Pagehttps://www.apoe4.info/wiki/Main_Page]Wikki Page[/url] has many links with additional information including material regarding diet and lifestyle behaviors to support cognitive health and much more!

Another way to stay connected with us is by joining the facebook group

Again I would like to wish you a warm welcome.
Cheers to happiness!
PJ
Think Positive Be Positive
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Kathleen1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Kathleen1 »

There are many potential causes for Pseudobulbar affect--the uncontrollable tearing up or laughing in excess of what your usual emotional response would have been. Lists of causes, workups, treatments (mainstream and complimentary) and support groups abound if you google that topic. Some causes are worth being excluded by medical workups--it is always nice to get some of the scarier diagnoses ruled out or to begin appropriate steps to prevent worsening. Pseudobulbar affect is a different problem from "being more emotional" and though both interfere with day to day life they are treated differently. I think having Pseudobulbar affect would result in symptoms-- the inappropriate or excessive emotional response-- happening on a more frequent basis than once every 3 months. It might be worthwhile writing down on all your symptoms, as well as checking with trusted family/friends about what they see, and run the list by a professional. You might be able to exclude Pseudobulbar affect altogether and focus on other solutions.
Family Tree Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Family Tree Guy »

My experience is that this type of tearing up and seeming 'extra-emotional' over things that would not normally make someone respond this way was perhaps the most prominent behavioral symptom my mother exhibited prior to her formal AD diagnosis. I saw her behave sort of like a person who has experience a head injury from an impact. I speculate that her brain was experiencing inflammation in some way that pushed on the emotional parts of the mind. I would definitely advise you to discuss with your doctor, and if that doctor is not helpful, then look for another opinion.
best,
FTG
ellisto
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ellisto »

Thanks for all the replies the information is most useful. I have tightened up on following the Bredesen Protocol, and will proceed to see what happens. keeping the diet anti inflammatory is the clearly a key step.
ellisto
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ellisto »

Pardon me the last phrase should be ...is clearly the key step.