Can Herpes Zoster ophthalmicus (Shingles) affect the Alzheimer's brain?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
rjkmhk
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Can Herpes Zoster ophthalmicus (Shingles) affect the Alzheimer's brain?

Post by rjkmhk »

I'm trying to decide if my husband and I should get the shingles vaccine...any thoughts one way or the other? Thanks!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

rjkmhk wrote:I'm trying to decide if my husband and I should get the shingles vaccine...any thoughts one way or the other?
Here is the recommendation from the CDC. The newer Shingrix vaccine is considered superior. There have been shortages of the vaccine in the US.
Slacker
E4/E4
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

slacker wrote:There have been shortages of the vaccine in the US.
Just to note that the Shingrix shortage seemed to have cleared up last year. I was able to get the vaccinations in the late summer/early fall of last year (2019) on a walk-in basis.
Britta
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Britta »

NancyM wrote:My father also seemed to suffer cognitively with the onset of shingles, and that was shortly before he was diagnosed with AD. It made enough of an impression on me that I decided to get the shingles vaccine recently even though I tend to avoid other vaccines due to the fear of toxins.
I wish I had known about the vaccine before. Now that my father got sick, I read about it and consider it for myself as well.
Bomag
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bomag »

Should a Shingrex vaccination be standard for 4/4s? Is there any reason to avoid it?
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Bomag wrote:Should a Shingrex vaccination be standard for 4/4s? Is there any reason to avoid it?
I linked to the CDC website earlier in this thread. It discusses who should get and who should not. While I think everyone who qualifies should get it, I haven't yet even though I qualify (do as I say, not as I do)! Will probably start this year as I turn 60. :lol: The older we get, the higher the risk of getting shingles.
Slacker
E4/E4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I plan to get the vaccine in a few weeks, if possible. I read that it does not contain aluminum, thankfully.

I know three people who have had shingles and they were in their 30s and 40s. One of them even got it twice.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I've just sent an email to the corresponding author requesting full text to see if vitamin D helped prevent shingles:

Vitamin D is closely linked to the clinical courses of herpes zoster: From pathogenesis to complications

I've had the earlier shingles vaccine but will be getting the new one too.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.