Two on Parkinson's Disease / APOE4 / Dementia, etc.

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Two on Parkinson's Disease / APOE4 / Dementia, etc.

Post by Jmac »

Two articles. The first I'm posting is much better. Given that I am 3/4 plus have quite a few Parkinson's genes and all kinds of other nasties like short-sleep, etc. I'm primed for a nasty future genetically. However, I am not gonna let those nasties be my future...

--------
Gene ID’d as potential therapeutic target for dementia in Parkinson’s
Targeting gene linked to Alzheimer’s may reduce dementia risk in Parkinson’s
Dementia is one of the most debilitating consequences of Parkinson’s disease, a progressive neurological condition characterized by tremors, stiffness, slow movement and impaired balance. Eighty percent of people with Parkinson’s develop dementia within 20 years of the diagnosis, and patients who carry a particular variant of the gene APOE are at especially high risk.

In new research, scientists at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis have found a clue to the link between Parkinson’s, APOE and dementia.
https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/gene-id ... arkinsons/

------
Lab: Discovery could help stave off anguish of dementia in people battling Parkinson’s

PARKINSON’S disease can be especially cruel. Its slow but sure onset inflicts tremors, slows down movement and impairs balance. And perhaps the most bitter blow of all is that 80 percent of people newly diagnosed will go on to develop dementia within 20 years.

But there is hope for the future, after experts made a breakthrough that could lead to treatments capable of slowing down or stopping this mental decline.

https://www.metro.news/bbc-science-focu ... s/1899963/
----

Info at end of first article with study info I think:
Davis AA, Inman CE, Wargel ZM, Dube U, Freeberg BM, Galluppi A, Haines JN, Dhavale DD, Miller R, Choudhury FA, Sullivan PM, Cruchaga C, Perlmutter JS, Ulrich JD, Benitez BA, Kotzbauer PT, Holtzman DM. APOE Genotype Regulates Pathology and Disease Progression in Synucleinopathy. Science Translational Medicine. Feb. 5, 2020. DOI: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aay3069
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Two on Parkinson's Disease / APOE4 / Dementia, etc.

Post by BrianR »

Link to the open access paper: https://stm.sciencemag.org/content/12/529/eaay3069

The work was done in a mouse model which had human variants for APOE (2/3/4), but the researchers did confirm their hypothesis to their satisfaction using a smallish study of human PD patients.

The mice with APOE4 had shorter time to dementia symptoms than those with APOE2 & APOE3. Note that (quoting from Science Daily): "APOE doesn't affect the overall risk of developing Parkinson's or how quickly movement symptoms worsen, so an APOE-targeted therapy might stave off dementia without doing anything for the other symptoms"

Assuming these findings also apply to humans, my takeaway is that those with Parkinson's and APOE4 are more likely to develop dementia earlier than those with other APOE variants. However, my understanding is that those without Parkinson's, but who have APOE4, are more likely to develop dementia earlier than those with other APOE variants.

Hopefully, this will increase research on all APOE4 related dementias and we'll see more/better mitigational treatment as a result.
nerdymel23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nerdymel23 »

Jmac wrote:Two articles. The first I'm posting is much better.

Thank you for these resources. We just had a loved one diagnosed with Parkinson's so I thought I'd look through the forum for some updated research.
ApoE3/4
Board Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
Certified Wahls Protocol Health Coach
Certified ReCODE Health Coach
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

nerdymel23 wrote:We just had a loved one diagnosed with Parkinson's so I thought I'd look through the forum for some updated research.
This research isn't new, but I don't think it is well known, and it might be relevant. Dr. Dantzig, a dermatologist in NY who figured out the reason for the Grover's disease that I had suffered with for 10 years, tied together Parkinson's, macular degeneration, Grover's disease, and mercury toxicity here:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16832218/

The # in the study was very, very small. I know that over the years, he has treated many, many people for Grover's disease successfully by addressing the Hg problem. Every day, I wake up with normal skin, and I am so relieved. I periodically have to chelate to maintain healthy skin. Sometimes I forget that it is possible that I was headed for blindness or Parkinson's - that the Grover's was just a first step.

The point here is that your loved one might have a mercury toxicity issue.