Tulsi - ocimum sanctum - ameliorates memory loss in fish and rodents

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Tulsi - ocimum sanctum - ameliorates memory loss in fish and rodents

Post by FitFoodie »

A friend recommended this supplement for stress. I found a tea with it that I enjoy, which also has turmeric. There's a tulsi, turmeric, ginger version too. I thought people might be interested in this.

https://shop.organicindiausa.com/Tulsi- ... ions@Tulsi

Finally got around to reading up on it...looks like it outperforms an alz med in zebra fish studies, and there's mention of a past rodent study in this article. The herb addresses the anticholinergic issue...(sorry that's an incredibly vague summary)

https://www.jbclinpharm.org/articles/as ... bra-f.html
Rosemary
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Tulsi - ocimum sanctum - ameliorates memory loss in fish and rodents

Post by Rosemary »

Thank you, Fitfoodie for the links to tulsi! I'm a big fan of tulsi. I grow it in the spring to make fresh infusions and teas all summer and fall. I dehydrate enough to last through winter. It is one of my favorite plant allies.

A few years back, I was drinking a tulsi infusion with a friend over a 2 hour period. When I got home there was an unpleasant surprise waiting for me, which I would have normally reacted to in fear, panic, and dread. Instead, my response was surprisingly grounding...non-active, non-judgemental, calm, balanced. I knew then it was the tulsi working through me. She guided/carried me so to speak.

I'm not surprised to read that tulsi has cholinesterase inhibitor activity. Tulsi is considered an adaptogen; it works on many levels.

I like Organic India tea! I'll try the tulsi / tumeric blend.
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FitFoodie »

Rosemary wrote:Thank you, Fitfoodie for the links to tulsi! I'm a big fan of tulsi. I grow it in the spring to make fresh infusions and teas all summer and fall. I dehydrate enough to last through winter. It is one of my favorite plant allies.
That's really cool that you grow it and that you've noticed it's positive effect. Thanks for sharing your experience with it. Maybe I'll get some seeds for my garden this spring.
Rosemary
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rosemary »

It's easy to grow, and it's one of the last plants to die down in the fall. The more cuttings you take the more it gives back. Plus, it smells really good!