What one test should I add?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Bomag
Contributor
Contributor

What one test should I add?

Post by Bomag »

I'm new to the awareness of my 4/4 status. The Bredesen diet is very close to what I've been using for years for autoimmune conditions. And I get monitored regularly for inflammation markers, metabolic panel, CBC, serum Na, K and Ca, TSH, etc. But I might be able to add another test at some point to figure out which supplements I should add to my basics (B12, C, D3, K2, Ca, Mg, K , Zn, ubiquinol, ALA, fish oil, DHEA).

If I added one more supplement, would it be liposomal glutathione ? I know it's hard to figure out what's important without the tests first.

But, there's no way I could afford to do the whole Bredesen panel at this point. I'm on quite a limited budget and am trying to figure out the smartest way to use limited money. If I were to do one non-Medicare test, would you recommend a hormone panel or vitamins/minerals/metals? Should I test for glutathione before spending money on the supplement?
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: What one test should I add?

Post by SusanJ »

Bomag wrote:But, there's no way I could afford to do the whole Bredesen panel at this point. I'm on quite a limited budget and am trying to figure out the smartest way to use limited money. If I were to do one non-Medicare test, would you recommend a hormone panel or vitamins/minerals/metals? Should I test for glutathione before spending money on the supplement?
Personally, I would do the hormone panel. If they are out of whack, they can influence so many other processes in your body that vitamin/mineral supplementation will not necessarily fix.

And yes, test for glutathione. You might not have any need for taking it.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

SusanJ wrote: Personally, I would do the hormone panel. If they are out of whack, they can influence so many other processes in your body that vitamin/mineral supplementation will not necessarily fix.

And yes, test for glutathione. You might not have any need for taking it.
Hormones were my vote too, although I'm pretty sure Chris Masterjohn said in an interview or podcast that there's no good test for glutathione. I don't recall the specifics, but he repeated it. There's something to complicated about it for the current tests in his POV.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Bomag wrote: If I were to do one non-Medicare test, would you recommend a hormone panel or vitamins/minerals/metals?
What do you mean by "hormone panel"? More extensive thyroid tests? Female hormones? If you were low on estradiol and progesterone female hormones (most likely as you are age 70), would you choose to start hormone replacement treatment?

Sometimes it is helpful to think about what you would do with the results before testing.
Slacker
E4/E4